• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do You Like The Current AOS? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was wondering how many people actually like the current AOS?
personally, i love it! im so happy it got changed from journeys to belonging.
would you have prefered a previous AOS? if so which one?

:)

ToastyGoodness

HSC
Belonging is so much better i think because pretty much every text has some form of belonging in it and also is just plain easy mode. :p

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
yes, but if it's that easy then ....:jaw:

HSC
well we're doing the simple gift & honestly, i have never studied an easier text before! & this is for advanced english..

P.T.F.E

HSC
i don't like it, there is no clear cut and can end up being contradictory, i would have prefferred change as there is alway change amougnst texts and is clear cut.

with belonging, it is so deep you can technically belong at a school, your on their role u attend and your wear the uniform but deep down you dont feel apart of the community of the school, you feel like an outsider, but then u belong to a group of loners, u are classed as that so therefore you belong to a classification by yor classmates.

personally i hate it.

MHSoR Student

HSC
N/A
I really dislike the current Area of Study, as unlike Changing Perspectives, the Area of Study I did in Year 11, not every text relates to this concept, and even the texts that do relate to it may not relate to every single possible question that may be asked in Section III of the Area of Study exam. For example, one text may address a certain issue or idea about belonging, but such issue or idea would be useless and cannot be discussed if the essay question asks for a different idea, which is not addressed by the chosen text. As such, this adds an element of luck to the exam itself, as this Area of Study favours those who have chosen related texts that are relevant to the question asked in the exam, while those who are unfortunate enough to have chosen texts that do not relate to the idea they are asked to discuss in the exam will be marked down, which means that the highest mark for the exam may not be given to the most skilled student. This factor of luck exists in the exam for every Area of Study, though its effect is probably not as great for the other Areas of Study, due to how specific a concept Belonging is, which means that there is a greater chance for a chosen text to not relate to the question.

Belonging is also a far more difficult Area of Study than Changing Perspectives, as just about any text relates to that concept, and "juxtaposition between the state of the past and the state of the present" is a technique that can be mentioned for just about any text that relates to change, allowing free marks to be earned regardless of the text chosen. In fact, the related text I used for my Changing Perspectives exam in Year 11 was one which I had not even thought of using until I saw the question for Section III during the reading time, and I simply wrote off my memory about that text and earned a good mark, whereas this can no longer be done for Belonging, as there are no general techniques used in every text that can be used to answer just about any question about Belonging. Every text used in this Area of Study must be studied in-depth, with every notable technique committed to memory, even though none of those techniques are guaranteed to be used in the exam as the question for Section III is unknown.

However, the worst part about this Area of Study is that not even some of the prescribed poems by Peter Skrzynecki even relate to the question asked in my Belonging exam, and it is extremely difficult to like an Area of Study when not even some of the prescribed poems can be used to answer certain questions that may be asked.

Also, I guess another, more subjective reason why I dislike this Area of Study is probably because I cannot really relate myself to Belonging as much as most people can, as I know for a fact that I do not experience a desire to belong on the same level as most people do, since I am a person who is content with being alone most of the time, and being able to relate oneself to the concept of an Area of Study greatly enhance's one's understanding of it, and it helps them to develop ideas relating to it. So my apathy and limited ability to relate myself to Belonging is actually putting myself at a disadvantage compared to other people in this Area of Study, and this may be another reason why I dislike it.

Last edited:

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
I really dislike the current Area of Study, as unlike Changing Perspectives, the Area of Study I did in Year 11, not every text relates to this concept, and even the texts that do relate to it may not relate to every single possible question that may be asked in Section III of the Area of Study exam. For example, one text may address a certain issue or idea about belonging, but such issue or idea would be useless and cannot be discussed if the essay question asks for a different idea, which is not addressed by the chosen text. As such, this adds an element of luck to the exam itself, as this Area of Study favours those who have chosen related texts that are relevant to the question asked in the exam, while those who are unfortunate enough to have chosen texts that do not relate to the idea they are asked to discuss in the exam will be marked down, which means that the highest mark for the exam may not be given to the most skilled student. This factor of luck exists in the exam for every Area of Study, though its effect is probably not as great for the other Areas of Study, due to how specific a concept Belonging is, which means that there is a greater chance for a chosen text to not relate to the question.

Belonging is also a far more difficult Area of Study than Changing Perspectives, as just about any text relates to that concept, and "juxtaposition between the state of the past and the state of the present" is a technique that can be mentioned for just about any text that relates to change, allowing free marks to be earned regardless of the text chosen. In fact, the related text I used for my Changing Perspectives exam in Year 11 was one which I had not even thought of using until I saw the question for Section III during the reading time, and I simply wrote off my memory about that text and earned a good mark, whereas this can no longer be done for Belonging, as there are no general techniques used in every text that can be used to answer just about any question about Belonging. Every text used in this Area of Study must be studied in-depth, with every notable technique committed to memory, even though none of those techniques are guaranteed to be used in the exam as the question for Section III is unknown.

However, the worst part about this Area of Study is that not even some of the prescribed poems by Peter Skrzynecki even relate to the question asked in my Belonging exam, and it is extremely difficult to like an Area of Study when not even some of the prescribed poems can be used to answer certain questions that may be asked.

Also, I guess another, more subjective reason why I dislike this Area of Study is probably because I cannot really relate myself to Belonging as much as most people can, as I know for a fact that I do not experience a desire to belong on the same level as most people do, since I am a person who is content with being alone most of the time, and being able to relate oneself to the concept of an Area of Study greatly enhance's one's understanding of it, and it helps them to develop ideas relating to it. So my apathy and limited ability to relate myself to Belonging is actually putting myself at a disadvantage compared to other people in this Area of Study, and this may be another reason why I dislike it.

nice rant.

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i hate belonging.
quite frankly this AOS has made me not want to belong at all because i hate the thought of Belonging so much. just as much as i hate crime fiction in extension english. i pretty much think that crime fiction and belonging should be gay together and have anal cuz they are so gay.

oh i just had a slight bitch fit then.
ha.

but yes, to conclude my long statement...I HATE BELONGING.

and i am jealous of those that like it because i would love to enjoy soemthing i have to study for in the HSC. it seems i dont like anything i learn about anymore, except for the stuff in art. and my core topic in music2.

lychnobity

HSC
Journeys were getting old.

Belonging gives a lot more room for creative interpretation - Journeys are too ... specific.

I like.

lychnobity

HSC
i hate belonging.
quite frankly this AOS has made me not want to belong at all because i hate the thought of Belonging so much. just as much as i hate crime fiction in extension english. i pretty much think that crime fiction and belonging should be gay together and have anal cuz they are so gay.

ha.

and i am jealous of those that like it because i would love to enjoy soemthing i have to study for in the HSC. it seems i dont like anything i learn about anymore, except for the stuff in art. and my core topic in music2.
Whoa, angry much. Belonging is mad fun (As You Like It is still the shittiest prescribed text I have ever seen though).

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
Whoa, angry much. Belonging is mad fun (As You Like It is still the shittiest prescribed text I have ever seen though).
hahaha i know aye. nah im not angry anymore :) i hope.
were doing the poetry of Peter Skrzynecki which is okay, but our teacher did the really good poems first so now we are reading the really crappy ones and its beginign to drag on abit...

lychnobity

HSC
hahaha i know aye. nah im not angry anymore :) i hope.
were doing the poetry of Peter Skrzynecki which is okay, but our teacher did the really good poems first so now we are reading the really crappy ones and its beginign to drag on abit...
Pray that you will not be touching Speeches or Levertov poetry. :vcross::evilfire::mad1::chainsaw:

kara42

HSC
i hate belonging.

ha.

This!

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
lol you like?
come round, kara, come round hahahahaaaa

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Meh, all the areas of study are extremely similar.
I eamn something like Skrzynecki or Looking for Alibrandi could have been used for Change, Journeys and Belonging...

cat_crazy

HSC
I hate belonging.
It's just to difficult to choose shich texts are relavent, as practically every test has some reference to belonging. I also hate the book my teacher I have to read.

HSC
I hate belonging.
It's just to difficult to choose shich texts are relavent, as practically every test has some reference to belonging. I also hate the book my teacher I have to read.
which book is it ?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It depends how far you go into it.
I got myself caught up in the whole concept of belonging to the point where i was contradicting myself because i was trying to accept notions of belonging and not belonging at the same time (doublethink? lol to anyone who did 1984 in year 11).

But yeah, i think if you don't go headfirst into it and get all finicky about the complexities like i did it's an okay AOS. I would have liked Journeys better. Everything's a journey right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)