Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

cupid^^

HSC
this is quite irrelevant point but CJS, is korean and so am I, so when he says its bs he isnt joking. 1 extra text peoples.

GO KOREANS! haha so lame

kiki_koala

HSC
Personally, i have no sympathy for people who did 2 texts. the question clearly stated ONE in capitals.
The first rule of any essay is to read the question! ( I've learnt this the hard way haha).

I do think you will be disadvantaged because you have not followed the directions of the question, and quite frankly, it is unfair for those of us who took the time to read the question and rework the essay to have enough length without the second text, if you are not disadvantaged.

However, if your 1st text is really well discussed,you'll be fine I think.

satchelboyy

HSC
what don't you understand? They won't directly mark you down, they won't directly mark down anyone. Nobody will 'lose' marks.
But the markers will completely ignore what they wrote about their second text, hence they wasted time and their essays will be incomplete. In this way, they lose marks, in the sense that they won't gain the marks that they normally would have.
Isn't it common sense?
right on!

HSC
Re: You will not be disadvantaged for having two related texts

DON'T WORRY PEOPLE!!
I've heard this from two head teachers of English (one of whom contacted the board of studies because so many students were stressed about mentioning two texts)

1. YOU WILL NOT BE DISADVANTAGED

2. They will mark you essay as a whole, and will examine both texts you have used.

The marking guidelines for this question state 'analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging are represented in a variety of texts.' It is a positive thing if you've chosen to do an additional text if it lifts your argument. (But if you managed to do one text in depth that is equally okay.)

ALSO

people who are worried about not addressing the 'celebrating relationships' part of the creative writing section- if your story looked at relationships falling apart and NOT celebrating relatioships that is equally okay- that sentence is just like visual or written stimulus you can go with it or against it. (again heard from HT of English.)

SO DO NOT WORRY !! Focus on paper 2 because you have NOT screwed up paper one. :)
It's funny how ONE (pardon the pun) nice remark makes people happy over 100+ negative (ie. you're going to lose marks) ones.

We all never have to think about belonging again - how good's that? (Regardless of how many related material you used)

bh1410

HSC
to be very honest.. i think it's only fair you get deducted marks if u do more than one because:

1) even though i had a memorised essay with 3 related texts, I managed to write a really shit roughly 800 word essay and its not fair that someone who writes on 2 with a lot less depth gets more marks than me
2) you completely ignored the question and showed u depend purely on memory...the question probably was very purposely worded that way to break the memory habit

sorry but i think its only fair :/
i really think its extream to DEDUCT MARKS. ur ursing a massive generalisation. some people walked out not even realising it said one. and that doesnt mean they didnt read the question it means they were probably so nervous that they only looked at what direction the essay needed to take and off they went.

again - not a sign they can only reply on memory. pretty sure if uve read a text u can find something to expand on.

that comment was just mean really.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I don't think that's fair at all! I can understand if the additional second text is not marked, but if they deduct marks for misreading the question than that is not right. Anyway, I answered the question about 'understanding' but accidently misread the part saying ONE text, so you can't say I wrote purely from memory. I just used more than one text.
Okay, well if you didn't write 'purely on memory' then your pretty damn distinguished because a large majority of the HSC students memorise essays.

This question was made to break that habit and guess what - it did... It tricked pretty much 1/3 of people here.

I don't know how people magically attached the "at least" to the question but
My point is, it's pretty likely they will deduct marks ANYWAY SIMPLY BECAUSE there's no way that someone writing lets say, a 1000 word essay on 2 related texts will have as much depth as someone writing on a single related text exploring it with depth

ASSUMING that person A) and person B) are relatively similar in their English ability

just IMO

I am sorry for anyone who misread the question but I think you have to look at it this way - people who did actually read the question have a right to be angry if they get similar marks to people who didn't read the question properly. Just a thought

oh and person above me, I didn't mean to offend you with my comment, its just an opinion and I can see how it would be upsetting to mistake a question - i've done it millions of times...

but i've always admitted its my own fault for making that mistake. there's no use crying about it now

Last edited:

insideout

HSC
Well i intepreted as ONE text not at least one.
So i had to remove about 400 words from my essay and extend it a bit.
I chose to remove the shit related text and so i could slam the other.
They won't deduct marks for a second just mark the prescribed + first related text.
thats what i did. Completely threw out the weaker text (involved dropping an entire point but so what, it was just in there incase i could do two) and then just flogged the other one to death because it was always going to be the stronger one. Had to completely re structure my essay to do it but i managed. Just instead of doing Father & Son, Isolation and Friendship i just did F&S and Isolation to death and just dropped friendship completely.

yeeaahboy

HSC
People, why blame the mistake on us?

The exam states:

"In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts"

By putting a question asking for ONE related text they are asking for two things in the one paper.

CLEARLY BOS HAVE CONTRADICTED THEMSELVES AND MADE THE MISTAKE.

Therefore, BOTH responses should be included. They should take it into consideration. So if you're calling up or whatever, use this as your argument but either way everyone should be fine and they MUST take into consideration our interpretation of the question.

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
Okay, well if you didn't write 'purely on memory' then your pretty damn distinguished because a large majority of the HSC students memorise essays.

This question was made to break that habit and guess what - it did... It tricked pretty much 1/3 of people here.

I don't know how people magically attached the "at least" to the question but
My point is, it's pretty likely they will deduct marks ANYWAY SIMPLY BECAUSE there's no way that someone writing lets say, a 1000 word essay on 2 related texts will have as much depth as someone writing on a single related text exploring it with depth

ASSUMING that person A) and person B) are relatively similar in their English ability

just IMO

I am sorry for anyone who misread the question but I think you have to look at it this way - people who did actually read the question have a right to be angry if they get similar marks to people who didn't read the question properly. Just a thought

oh and person above me, I didn't mean to offend you with my comment, its just an opinion and I can see how it would be upsetting to mistake a question - i've done it millions of times...

but i've always admitted its my own fault for making that mistake. there's no use crying about it now
Spot on.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Well, I can't see you getting penalized for doing MORE then what the question required. Those who did two should be marked with both their text in consideration, but, they should not be awarded EXTRA marks due to using both texts.Hence, a great essay on two related text = a good essay on one relatied text. So it'll take an exceptional essay ( band 6) with 2 related text to score equally with a great essay(band 5) with one related text. Now, what does cause you to be capped and not marked equally are those who didn't use any related text at all -- these people have NOT met the required criteria at all.

Last edited:

trim77

HSC

The exam states:

analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts"

By putting a question asking for ONE related text they are asking for two things in the one paper.

Therefore, BOTH responses should be included. They should take it into consideration. So if you're calling up or whatever, use this as your argument but either way everyone should be fine and they MUST take into consideration our interpretation of the question.
+1
In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a VARIETY of texts"

marking is gone off the rubric and im sure they will take into consideration the first year of marking but i cant see marks being lost or awarded simple as that

Frogernator

HSC

The exam states:

your interpretation for the question? does that mean that i can then write an essay, add in my own stuff that wasnt asked in the question and argue, 'nah, i interpreted it this way'?
yes i agree it was stupid, and i have been told by numerous people they just wont count the second text, but to say that your interpretation of the question should be taken into consideration immediately disadvantages those who did answer the question. I could've written a much better essay if I was able to use two extra texts, but the question didn't say that.
variety of texts also means different types of texts, i.e poems, lyrics, movies novels, not a number of texts.
yes it was a gay question, and if you did write two please don't get narky at me, im just saying that it would be wrong to disadvantage those who answered the actual question, whos essays may be substandard because of it.
Reiterating what everyone has said, no marks lost, but no marks gained, simple.

harryc

HSC
Yeah, I used two related texts, cause I'm an idiot. I accept that its my own fault for not reading the question, and I just think that it's been drilled into my head all year that we have to use two, so I went ahead and assumed two. During reading time, I could see everyone around me smiling and I had no idea, just went straight over my head. Still can't help be extremely cut, but hey, it's over, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Anyway, I'd like to think I covered enough in my 9 pages to still get me at least over 10, but hey, you never know. My biggest worry is that it'll disrupt the flow of the essay, and seem really disjointed if my second RM is being completely disregarded.

HSC
I understand why those who read the question would be upset if they didn't have enough content to cover up the removal of a related texts. I also understand why they would be upset if they did have enough content. To be fair on the people who answered the question correctly, I believe that they should receive more marks than those that were fooled, yet there should be some questions asked on whether the HSC should really be a comprehension test (in regard to the lack of distinction between "at least ONE" and "ONE").

I think the main point many of us are trying (and mostly failing) to make here is that the board shouldn't be playing games like this to weed out those who memorise essays. Yes, it's unfortunate that people don't take the time to properly learn English so they can formulate a response in the exam rather than memorising essays, but the fact that they caught some of the people that worked hard so they'd be able to formulate a response in the exam from their own bank of knowledge is unfair. You can say it's exam technique, ability to read or whatever you like, yet it is the responsibility of the board to write their questions clearly. The similarity to the typical "at least ONE" style question is undeniable, and so they really had to include "ONLY ONE" to justify the question they set, and the consequence of failing to make the proper distinction shouldn't fall on those that weren't lucky enough to have a full level of concentration.

My hope is that they include "discussion of ONE related text" in the top band for the marking guideline, and "discussion of ONE or more related texts) in the next band.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Yeah, I used two related texts, cause I'm an idiot. I accept that its my own fault for not reading the question, and I just think that it's been drilled into my head all year that we have to use two, so I went ahead and assumed two. During reading time, I could see everyone around me smiling and I had no idea, just went straight over my head. Still can't help be extremely cut, but hey, it's over, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Anyway, I'd like to think I covered enough in my 9 pages to still get me at least over 10, but hey, you never know. My biggest worry is that it'll disrupt the flow of the essay, and seem really disjointed if my second RM is being completely disregarded.
They won't disregard it, the BOS markers aren't out to rip your balls off. What won't happen, is that two texts will NOT give you an advantage over other students who did one. AND good observation by the poster who noted the contradiction is outcomes assessed + question.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
how isn't two texts (prescribed + one of ur own choosing) NOT a variety of texts?

ronnie2151

HSC
hey u guys think that they can catch you out if you made up a text on the spot... Like are they really gonna go and check even if it is not neccerily on the net ????

Triquetral

HSC
hey u guys think that they can catch you out if you made up a text on the spot... Like are they really gonna go and check even if it is not neccerily on the net ????
Best post of the day lol. Generally no. But it markers get suspicious they can easily go and check it out but it rarely happens...as long as you wrote about it pretty well and it didn't seem extremely dodgy then you should be fine. Considering there are HEAPS of possibly texts to do even if they don't find it on the net, they would not ignore that as a text because really it could be anything...could be a painting at ur supermarket they were selling that you used as a text. They won't find it so your pretty safe :)

andre nel

HSC
surely if u have eyes u only used one related text, if not marks should be taken off for poor reading skills or there should be more visits to the optometrist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)