Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

saraferinac

HSC
im actually suprised i wasn't the only one that did two related texts, i talked to my english teacher and she agreed that they won't take any marks off but it MIGHt disturb the 'flow' of the writing but truthfully if you got the techniques and answered the question the structure isnt going to prevent you from getting good marks.

Arix

HSC
You will not be disadvantaged for having two related texts

DON'T WORRY PEOPLE!!
I've heard this from two head teachers of English (one of whom contacted the board of studies because so many students were stressed about mentioning two texts)

1. YOU WILL NOT BE DISADVANTAGED

2. They will mark you essay as a whole, and will examine both texts you have used.

The marking guidelines for this question state 'analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging are represented in a variety of texts.' It is a positive thing if you've chosen to do an additional text if it lifts your argument. (But if you managed to do one text in depth that is equally okay.)

ALSO

people who are worried about not addressing the 'celebrating relationships' part of the creative writing section- if your story looked at relationships falling apart and NOT celebrating relatioships that is equally okay- that sentence is just like visual or written stimulus you can go with it or against it. (again heard from HT of English.)

SO DO NOT WORRY !! Focus on paper 2 because you have NOT screwed up paper one. :)

saraferinac

HSC
lol thank you for restoring our sanity, i was just about to call BOS and ask :)

ozgirl123

HSC
I don't think you will.
Our teachers - hsc markers - said the BOS mark your exam holistically they are looking for flow and making sure you address the question. Moreover if you compare this to other subjects - like History Extension where you also ave to write and refer to TWO historians we are told to disregard that and do as many as we know.

I don't see how you should lose marks for providing additional information...

Last edited:

Heshy

HSC
Re: You will not be disadvantaged for having two related texts

i love u arix!!!

its great to see a confirmation on this because i believe my second additional text linked soo much more to the question (thus i put it right before my conclusion), and then on facebook every1s like omg there not even gonna read ur additional text.

hopefully band6 english is still possible :)

istudy

HSC
Thankyou, you have given me serenity. :skip:

Hey anyone here in standard english, cause like who has a likely predicted structure for paper 2? Like how many related texts etc...

Arix

HSC
So our 2nd additional text got included!? :jaw:
Yes it did, according two english headteachers and the board of studies. :skip:
So please don't worry, and remember that most of the people posting on this site are putting forward their own opinions (often negative ones) and don't have anything to back them up. So don't let the negative posts stress you out- because they're wrong!!

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC

DON'T WORRY PEOPLE!!
I've heard this from two head teachers of English (one of whom contacted the board of studies because so many students were stressed about mentioning two texts)

2. They will mark you essay as a whole, and will examine both texts you have used.

The marking guidelines for this question state 'analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging are represented in a variety of texts.' It is a positive thing if you've chosen to do an additional text if it lifts your argument. (But if you managed to do one text in depth that is equally okay.)

ALSO

people who are worried about not addressing the 'celebrating relationships' part of the creative writing section- if your story looked at relationships falling apart and NOT celebrating relatioships that is equally okay- that sentence is just like visual or written stimulus you can go with it or against it. (again heard from HT of English.)

SO DO NOT WORRY !! Focus on paper 2 because you have NOT screwed up paper one. :)
you are now my hero. thankyou for putting my mind at ease :)

hollaholla

HSC
Arix...certainly not. What is the use of a QUESTION if you go completely against it??? Makes no sense whatsoever. People can just come in blindly and write their essays and leave having not looked at the question at all. The bos people just mightv said that to get students off their backs lol

But guys and gals...it dosn matter its over im glad it is ..and i just know paper 2 is going to be a BLAST lol .

cupid^^

HSC
IT was said by board of studies, that its under consideration. Marking guidelines arent out, and the head teachers who contacted bos arent high enough to make a judgement. Hopefully they do let student who did 2. But to be honest it is unfair to all the students who read the question properly and answered it based on what was given.

evilflic

Supreme Member
Roseville/Chatswood (Sydney)... soon to be St Luci
HSC
Yes it did, according two english headteachers and the board of studies. :skip:
So please don't worry, and remember that most of the people posting on this site are putting forward their own opinions (often negative ones) and don't have anything to back them up. So don't let the negative posts stress you out- because they're wrong!!
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I called the Board of Studies with my friend (she did 2 related texts), and they informed us that extra texts 'would be taken into consideration because the people who did two would have had less time to go into depth on their other text, but they WILL NOT award marks for both texts' - only one, because (as I said previously), the question asked for ONE text, and reading the question carefully is an integral part of the exam process.

Anyway. Get over it and move on. I'm sure everyone has at least 4+ exams left.

cupid^^

HSC
btw guys, it was smart wording by bos. Its true that you wont lose marks. you just wont get the marks in the first place haha

ashllis92

HSC
I think the moral of the whole incident is, regardless of how many texts you did, read the questions very carefully in paper 2, there's nothing you can do to change paper one they're probably all sitting in police stations right now waiting to go to marking centres or wherever they go...

cjs4898157

korean member
HSC

DON'T WORRY PEOPLE!!

ALSO

haha that is the biggest bs
if ur marked for both related texts and not penalized for doing so, then it disadvantages those who DID read the question and followed instructions by 'sacrificing' their other related text. that was the whole point of this exam, so that the students readjust their essays as according to the qn. ur just being ridiculous.

HSC
My question, to all those that wrote two, is this:
How will they decide which one to overlook? The one you write about second? It would be a bit weird if you have your essay based on two ideas; both of which are seen in your prescribed, then one of which that is in one related, and the other of which, is in the second related. Hence, how would they choose which one to overlook? It all seemed a bit iffy to me, and rather risky.
That's what module C is like AB, AC. If they say one related for that i'll be goneeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)