Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

It specified one so therefore only one should get marked. simple as that. Your second text is irrelevant and should be treated as such. I'm sorry, but if you still can't read a question after 13 years of schooling then quite simply, you're an idiot. It asks for one, you write about one. The end.
apologize all you want, but those who wrote two related texts will not be disadvantaged unless their content was worse than yours. Both texts shall be marked.

jellybelly59

HSC

I wrote about one related, and I reckon that kids that do two related shouldn't lose marks. The main arguments for penalising kids with two relateds are that they produced regurgitated essays. How do you distinguish between them, and those who saw that it asked for one related text, but still decided to do two?
Hmm... thomas i get what your saying but then what's the point of the board requesting one related text - the point of it was most likely (well this is largely speculation) to catch out regurgitated essays like you say but by simply saying ok... let's not penalise them because it might affect people who didn't answer the question or the minority that ignored the question in the hope of going above and beyond really just makes concessions that those who did have pre prepared essays. It essentially fails to bring down the system it set out to beat. i'm not even up for penalising them - i just think it's more reasonable to have the first related text that is stated to be marked and the other to be disregarded. Essentially MARK what it is requesting. How do you distinguish between which is the better text if you did two related? You don't just choose the first text that is mentioned and is described in detail and this can be applied across the board maintaining what i believe to be equality for both people who did 1 essay and people who did 2 related texts. If you truly had enough depth in your (by that i don't mean you aerath im just talking generally) related texts then you wouldn't be disadvantaged by the system of marking that im proposing. It leaves no rooms for buffers for people who did 2 and still maintains the idea that the board of studies is looking for the greater depth in responses. But then again this is just my little rant :)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Hmm... thomas i get what your saying but then what's the point of the board requesting one related text - the point of it was most likely (well this is largely speculation) to catch out regurgitated essays like you say but by simply saying ok... let's not penalise them because it might affect people who didn't answer the question or the minority that ignored the question in the hope of going above and beyond really just makes concessions that those who did have pre prepared essays. It essentially fails to bring down the system it set out to beat. i'm not even up for penalising them - i just think it's more reasonable to have the first related text that is stated to be marked and the other to be disregarded. Essentially MARK what it is requesting. How do you distinguish between which is the better text if you did two related? You don't just choose the first text that is mentioned and is described in detail and this can be applied across the board maintaining what i believe to be equality for both people who did 1 essay and people who did 2 related texts. If you truly had enough depth in your (by that i don't mean you aerath im just talking generally) related texts then you wouldn't be disadvantaged by the system of marking that im proposing. It leaves no rooms for buffers for people who did 2 and still maintains the idea that the board of studies is looking for the greater depth in responses. But then again this is just my little rant :)
I could not agree more. Repped :)

relientKIT

HSC

i don't really understand what everyones problem is. i doubt it would matter if you wrote one related text or two. if the bos disregard the second related text, then the people who only wrote about one is at an advantage because in writing about only one related text (i would assume that) people would've written in more detail than if you wrote two vague related text responses. even if they don't disregard this, i'm pretty sure the bos will notice whose essay would be in more depth. anyway, the HSC english paper is over. you can't change whatever you wrote so i'd say you should get over it too.

just my opinion though. :)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

I'll lol if the Board of Studies publishes new standard packages for English and end up putting in responses with 2 related texts as Band 3/4 responses.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC

I'll lol if the Board of Studies publishes new standard packages for English and end up putting in responses with 2 related texts as Band 3/4 responses.
Yeah but, responses with ONE related text would be susceptible to band 3-4 as well... Wait a minute, are you actually making a point or are you just wasting oxygen?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

Yeah but, responses with ONE related text would be susceptible to band 3-4 as well... Wait a minute, are you actually making a point or are you just wasting oxygen?
Yeah but the ones with 2 related texts are more likely to be there since I doubt many kids who wrote about two related texts can get very far since their discussion is limited. It'll be hilarious if one of the kids responses with the two related texts ends up being in the exemplar responses.

jellybelly59

HSC

Yeah but the ones with 2 related texts are more likely to be there since I doubt many kids who wrote about two related texts can get very far since their discussion is limited. It'll be hilarious if one of the kids responses with the two related texts ends up being in the exemplar responses.
kids that can write fast and just regurgitate can have as much depth with 2 related texts easy. When people can easily due 13+ with 2 related im pretty sure the discussion won't be limited.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Doesn't this all just boil down to the fundamental purpose of exams which is, in short, answering questions to the best of your ability?

If a question asks for ONE related text, you answer the question with ONE related text. Not two, not three, not zero- one. You're answering the question to the best of your ability by doing what the question asks.

Personally, I think those that that wrote 2 related texts SHOULD be penalised. After all, they were incapable of answering the question as asked by the exam. By using an extra related text that was not asked for, they haven't fully answered the question, they've, in fact, gone out of their way to make it harder for themselves by ignoring what was asked. How can anyone expect to get a Band 6 when they haven't fulfilled what was required of them?

jellybelly59

HSC
Doesn't this all just boil down to the fundamental purpose of exams which is, in short, answering questions to the best of your ability?

If a question asks for ONE related text, you answer the question with ONE related text. Not two, not three, not zero- one. You're answering the question to the best of your ability by doing what the question asks.

Personally, I think those that that wrote 2 related texts SHOULD be penalised. After all, they were incapable of answering the question as asked by the exam. By using an extra related text that was not asked for, they haven't fully answered the question, they've, in fact, gone out of their way to make it harder for themselves by ignoring what was asked. How can anyone expect to get a Band 6 when they haven't fulfilled what was required of them?
It would be unfair to penalise people who have simply went above and beyond the actual requirement simply because they believed they had more to say and they could dish out an equal amount of depth required by both related texts - it'd be impossible to differentiate between them and the people who didn't read the question. That's why i proposed the system where you simply ignore the second related text.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It would be unfair to penalise people who have simply went above and beyond the actual requirement simply because they believed they had more to say and they could dish out an equal amount of depth required by both related texts - it'd be impossible to differentiate between them and the people who didn't read the question. That's why i proposed the system where you simply ignore the second related text.
But they didn't. The question didn't say- use ONE related text, but feel free to go above and beyond the actual requirement, because you're used to using a second text. At the end of the day, the people who did 2 related texts should have played it safe and just answered the question.

jellybelly59

HSC
But they didn't. The question didn't say- use ONE related text, but feel free to go above and beyond the actual requirement, because you're used to using a second text. At the end of the day, the people who did 2 related texts should have played it safe and just answered the question.
it's because they didn't say that they went and above the actual requirement of one text by using two texts - that is if they went indepth with two texts, but i still maintain the view that the markers should only be mark on the requirements of the examination which is 1 related text.

As for scinery saying variety = more than 2. Like i've said before... variety contains the connotations of more than 2 but actually 2 is sufficient because the actual meaning of variety is providing a sense of diversity. Just because a certain word is attached with connotations does not necessarily mean that is how the word should be defined.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Actually, I agree with pretty much all of that. Only thing is, I was actually asking that question to people who decided to 'cap' those who did two related at numbers they pulled out of their ass, like 13, 12, and god forbid, even 9.

Scinery

HSC
To those who wrote ONE related text:

If you feel you were "disadvantaged", you are an idiot.

You had the opportunity to write MORE!

NO you are not going to get brownie points for *answering the question*

If your actual essay was good, you'll get a good mark.

To those who wrote TWO related texts:

You are an idiot, you were "disadvantaged".

You missed out on the opportunity to write MORE!

NO you are not going to get penalized/capped for not *answering the question*.

/thread.

katerebecca

HSC
To those who wrote ONE related text:

If you feel you were "disadvantaged", you are an idiot.

You had the opportunity to write MORE!

NO you are not going to get brownie points for *answering the question*

To those who wrote TWO related texts:

You are an idiot, you were "disadvantaged".

You missed out on the opportunity to write MORE!

NO you are not going to get penalized/capped for not *answering the question*.

/thread.
:) Amen to that.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
LOL 39 pages and this thing just wont die! I did write 2 orts, i felt that if i sufferred through learning extra work they can suffer through marking it end of story. Im not worried i just gave more info than asked for so what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)