Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

fayad158

Banned
HSC
shit i cant believe this many people made that mistake lol luckily i didnt, i chopped my second related text off, it was short and shit a anyway and i beefed up my second with stuff i had cut out the night before which i had memorised anyway lol

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
man seriously bos,,, PISS OFF... we learnt 2 in school, everyone in my class except for one person did 2 related texts... wtf was I supposed to do cut off 300 words off my essay? piss off!!
or you could just learn the texts and not have a prepared essay

cole-

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's going to matter that much, tbh.

laster

HSC
i did the same
then some guy told me his sister did the same in her hsc.
2 related text wen it said 1.
he said she lost marks for it.
lol she got 96% for eng.

i hope he's WRONG.
it would be stupid if they deduct marks for that.
'i did two related texts when it asks for one and i failed'
that'll sound rigged.

i reckon they'll just ignore the second text you wrote.

HSC
Uni Grad
This. I knew points to make and quotes, etc, but I didn't memorise an essay. I can adapt to a question fine. It was more just my own fault that I leapt straight to the quote because I assumed it would ask for two relateds like every other assessment on belonging I'd done thus far. *sigh* I'm just disappointed that I had plenty of extra knowledge I could've used to sustain 2 texts, rather than cutting a bit of that to have time for the 3. At least my rank is good so the mark'll average out a bit with someone else's...
EXACT same for me with everything there except a good rank (25/63)
I knew techniques and some points i wanted to make but after trying and failing the memory game I decided not to play this time, just memorise a few points.

La Bomba

HSC
ahhh hektik that i read the question. duno why yuse did two wen da question specified one related..

La Bomba

HSC
they do deduct marks mata, because they see 2 related as haaving an advantage, wen da question asked for one. prety sure anyway cuz

Aplus

HSC
N/A
... but that's what reading time is for. To interpret the questions properly.

wonnny

HSC
i honestly wonder if previous years were as much whingers about the hsc as 09ers were.

qq'ing about not being told it could be one text.

WHOS FAULT YOU HAD A PREPARED ESSAY?
WHOS FAULT YOU CAN'T READ?

OH YEAH, yours and yours alone.
mate, im pretty sure the majority of students have a prepared essay, causes believe it or not, not all of us are geniuses that know 2+ texts so well we can quote/link/make informed & sophisticated arguments about them on the spot.

and yeah, it is our fault that we did not read the question properly,
but in many student's cases (myself included) it was our first exam, anxious to start we read the question, saw the ONE and assumed it to be 'at least ONE'
and off we went.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
pfft well I can't imagine anyone not coming in with a prepared essay.. I mean its not a prepared essay, just learnt the texts for my prescribed and related,, and I balanced it out,, if its only one than the whole structure is screwed over
i did my hsc without prepared essay. i winged it if anything. only knew 4-5 quotes at most th
man seriously bos,,, PISS OFF... we learnt 2 in school, everyone in my class except for one person did 2 related texts... wtf was I supposed to do cut off 300 words off my essay? piss off!!
how about don't prepare an essay next time and actually learn how to construct an essay with your obviously in depth knowledge of your texts.
Feeling shitty enough, thanks.
i'd be too if i can't read.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
and yeah, it is our fault that we did not read the question properly,
but in many student's cases (myself included) it was our first exam, anxious to start we read the question, saw the ONE and assumed it to be 'at least ONE'
and off we went.
You get 10 minutes reading time. How do you not read the question properly?

kushna

HSC
Won't they just think of it as information irrelevant to the question and not mark it? In other exams if you write information that is irrelevant to the question they just ignore it and you don't get marks for it, they don't specifically take away marks because of it. I don't see why it'd be any different in english.

riarne

HSC
My friend said that there supervisors called up the BOS during the exam to ask if it was meant to be "atleast ONE" but the reply was they had to do it how they interpreted it.
Does anyone know if it said "only ONE". If not then I'm hoping that they allow the interpretation of atleat one.

O well, what is done is done...
Not sure if someone has said this already but I have the exam paper with me and it says ONE related text

kanux

HSC
lol doubt it that they would deduct
but I think they'll just mark you on the Core and 1 related text, then disregard the second one?

4theHSC

HSC
i did my hsc without prepared essay. i winged it if anything. only knew 4-5 quotes at most th

how about don't prepare an essay next time and actually learn how to construct an essay with your obviously in depth knowledge of your texts.

your mean tommy :(.. well as you can see I'm slightly frustrated... and I did have knowledge on the texts, just not enough to write another paragraph of the same related text

tonyharrison

HSC
Yeah well at least that person had correct grammar.

People are being pretty harsh.

I used two related texts. Assumed the question would be "at least one". Of course that was my mistake but it wasn't cause i "couldn't read".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)