Do you make notes for Maths? (1 Viewer)

hamster-lol

HSC
lol I forgot to answer the actual question. No, I don't personally make notes, but some of my close friends do and it really benefits them. So I'd recommend finding what you like best and sticking with that.

Indoz

HSC
at the start of every topic, i buy a study book and a class book. class book goes on as usual, but in the study book, after every lesson, i write out questions from various text books, past papers etc. and if i need some small dot point notes beside it. that way, just before the test i quickly look over the book, although i should already know it, and there is no hassle for the yearly exams, there is an exercise book for each topic with answered questions.

BASICALLY ALL UP TO TIME MANAGEMENT

Rohanco

HSC
Being someone who is definitely not naturally gifted at math at all I find that making notes is essential to my actual understanding of the concept. Before a new set of important things in Math I always write down about 1 to 3 paragraphs of notes explaining how the equation works to myself, how it fits in with all the other stuff I've been doing, and something that just explains the concept properly with little hints as to what and what I shouldn't do with this equation. I know it sounds silly haha, all my math genius friends laugh at me when I tel them, but I'm not the type of person who can look at a formula and understand it's language immediately. Note making helps me so much in Math, almost as much as it helps me in other wordy subjects.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That does sound useful for revision, that was also why I made notes before. Did you find it time-consuming to make the notes though?
Not really, because I keep it fairly succinct and would just update it every fortnight or so. It forced me to read over my chunkier maths theory notes, and seek better explanations for other topics if I was having trouble with it. Also forced me to work a few practice questions when I'd step methods. It's a little A5 binder book and I think it's about 160 something pages for all of Year 11 and Year 12. By having explanation/examples, I remembered formulas way easier and the "methods" for attacking questions. It's so quick to find stuff, because it has an index with one page colour for the odd pages and another for the even and the pg number in the corner of each page.

My Year 11 maths teacher recommended it to me, and I'm so happy he did. Many people have formula books but I like to have the methods, and most people don't have the index, which I think makes a world of difference. Sometimes when I do maths past papers I can see the method book page in my head which is useful :)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Yeah I tend to agree
I kind of felt that notes were fairly useless for maths - I had a sheet or two with formulas on it, but other than that I didnt really use notes. With maths, I found that practice was pretty much the best way to study - I did work from the textbook to build my knowledge then I went on to past papers to prepare myself for the exam.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
The only summary notes I mainly do is writing a formula sheet and maybe hard example questions

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I do questions in a book, and if I find that they use a fair amount of logic or are interesting, or have subtle answers which I may only get on a good day, I circle that question. This ensures that I perform good even on a bad day in an exam (well, better) :)

BenBrownTown

HSC
My teacher pushed for summaries to be made at the end of each topic. Covering every single topic in prelim and HSC I have 250+ pages of notes, which is highly detailed and has numerous examples so I can remember how to apply the theory if I need to remember. After reading through this I broke it down to only the formulas which I have fully memorized, If you havent made notes throughout the year or 2 years dont bother you will WASTE your time, just past papers now

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Personally, no. I feel that type writing up the notes can be better spent doing questions so I can remember and understand the concept that way.

HSC
Uni Grad
Only nots I had for maths were class notes with derivations of proofs, ie differentiation by first principles, integration by first principles, the exponential function by first principles etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)