• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you NEED to do maths for business studies? (1 Viewer)

WhatCnut

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently in the top maths class in year 10 and have been for quite some time, my careers advisor said I should do Maths in 11/12 as to do a Law/Business degree it's required.
My dad then said he did an engineering course at TAFE that required maths, and all he had to do was a test to make sure he had the required knowledge.
I don't exactly want to do maths in 11/12 as I'd like to do Modern History or Geography, so is it absolutely necessary to undertake general / advances maths in 11/12 for Business Studies @ Uni?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
No definitely not. Most of the maths required for business/commerce is taught in the actual uni course.
It is only necessary to take maths if you are considering doing a degree with heavy mathematics such as engineering or science.

WhatCnut

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm looking at my 'student handbook' right now, and this is what it says:
• Business, Commerce, Economics
-Mathematics, Business Studies, Economics.
(Under Pre-Requisites)

HSC
I'm in second year Commerce, and I haven't yet used the Maths that I studied in Year 11 or 12. Economics used some maths, but it was basic graphs, sums etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm looking at my 'student handbook' right now, and this is what it says:

(Under Pre-Requisites)
You probably don't need the maths but if it is under "pre-requisites" that probably means they won't let you in if you don't do them. Saying that I never saw pre requisites in my handbook last year, what uni are you looking at?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
You probably don't need the maths but if it is under "pre-requisites" that probably means they won't let you in if you don't do them. Saying that I never saw pre requisites in my handbook last year, what uni are you looking at?
It's possible OP got confused and meant assumed knowledge or recommended studies as opposed to pre requisites.

shakky15

HSC
I'm in second year Commerce, and I haven't yet used the Maths that I studied in Year 11 or 12. Economics used some maths, but it was basic graphs, sums etc.
Um I'm not sure what uni you are going to but at UNSW you definately need the maths. If you are even thinking of doing eco, maths is absolutely necessary. Sure, they kinda teach you the maths in the course, but if you havent done calculus before (which you do in Maths 2u) you will reeally struggle. Many of the courses in commerce are mathematical. Often you might not need specific things you learnt in HSC maths, but you will still draw upon your mathematical ability in those courses ... what I'm saying is that maths in the HSC prepares you for the stuff you will do in uni.

Doing modern history (or even geo) is only going to teach you to memorise copious amounts of content which is in no way relevant to commerce. If you want to do those subjects for the fun of it, why not think about doing them at uni? At UNSW, we have to do 2 subjects outside our faculty.. you could easily pick up a subject in geo or earth/enviro science, or history. I'm sure it would be much more fun studying it at uni too.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
people have lots of retarded interpretations of maths.

some retards think accounting is maths.

as for business studies during the HSC, if you count basic numerical stuff you did back in primary school as maths, then yes, business studies, and uni will have maths.

HSC
people have lots of retarded interpretations of maths.

some retards think accounting is maths.
haha i thought this before i studied the subject lol, how naive i was.

i started doing business without having done maths thinking that if i ran into trouble i could just get a tutor, but i haven't needed one. as the above poster said it's simple maths that you'd have to be pretty retarded not to know by now, i think you're safe.

superblackguy

HSC
I know at mac or unsw its compulsory to take up a stats course in first year, of course you learn all that shit at uni but doing general maths would help i guess

spence

HSC
I know at mac or unsw its compulsory to take up a stats course in first year, of course you learn all that shit at uni but doing general maths would help i guess
The maths in stats is heaps easy though, just simple arithmetic and algebra. Thats been my experience so far

HSC
Um I'm not sure what uni you are going to but at UNSW you definately need the maths. If you are even thinking of doing eco, maths is absolutely necessary. Sure, they kinda teach you the maths in the course, but if you havent done calculus before (which you do in Maths 2u) you will reeally struggle. Many of the courses in commerce are mathematical. Often you might not need specific things you learnt in HSC maths, but you will still draw upon your mathematical ability in those courses ... what I'm saying is that maths in the HSC prepares you for the stuff you will do in uni.
I'm a HRM major, so there is a significant amount of english/writing skills used in our units. I did do maths through to Year 12, so maybe it would be different if I hadn't done maths past year 10, but my uni hasn't really required anything really mathsy in our course thus far. I honestly felt that our economics units in first year could have been done without prior Maths knowledge.

However, I am not at UNSW, and my course did not have maths as a prerequisite, so maybe my experience is uncommon.

WhatCnut

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks alot for your help guys!
Incase anyone is wondering, the uni is Newcastle Uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)