Do you still study for 2u math if you do 4u? (1 Viewer)

tryhard1232

HSC
i know 2u isn't assessed but I'm wondering if it's essential to still study for 2u?

Thanks !

emilios

HSC
Seeing as though the exams are on at the exact same time for the HSC then the school would have to be a special kind of sadistic to make you sit through all of the 2,3 and 4U classes.

HSC
i know 2u isn't assessed but I'm wondering if it's essential to still study for 2u?

Thanks !
Its called 4u for a reason.

You have to do 2u work. 3u is an extension of 2u with a few extra topics.

And then when you get into 4u, they can incorporate any type of question they want. They can put an inequality question with series and sequences together or some shit.

You can't neglect 2u, you must finish the course.

emilios

HSC
Its called 4u for a reason.

You have to do 2u work. 3u is an extension of 2u with a few extra topics.

And then when you get into 4u, they can incorporate any type of question they want. They can put an inequality question with series and sequences together or some shit.

You can't neglect 2u, you must finish the course.
Try to negotiate with your school though. You can get through the 2U on your own fairly quickly if you're a capable student, no need to sit through a whole year worth of lessons when it can be done in 2 months.

HSC
Try to negotiate with your school though. You can get through the 2U on your own fairly quickly if you're a capable student, no need to sit through a whole year worth of lessons when it can be done in 2 months.
With selective schools that can happen, because they offer accelerated subjects and blah blah

With a school that doesn't offer that, it's hard to negotiate with the teachers, because they'll have to work year 12 and year 11 timetables around just for one person. Instead they'll most likely reject it, and one will have to sit through the 2u lessons.

Plus OP is beginning 4u, he has yet to finish the 2u course (unless he has with a tutor or something) or the 3u course and is beginning the 4u. SO he will do them all.

With my school, i remember finishing two unit really early, finished the 3u course around mid july and 4u was around early August.

Plus doesn't OP have one teacher for Maths?
He wouldn't be wasting lessons, one day the teacher might do 2u work, while another 4u work.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
With selective schools that can happen, because they offer accelerated subjects and blah blah

With a school that doesn't offer that, it's hard to negotiate with the teachers, because they'll have to work year 12 and year 11 timetables around just for one person. Instead they'll most likely reject it, and one will have to sit through the 2u lessons.

Plus OP is beginning 4u, he has yet to finish the 2u course (unless he has with a tutor or something) or the 3u course and is beginning the 4u. SO he will do them all.

With my school, i remember finishing two unit really early, finished the 3u course around mid july an 4u was around early August.

Plus doesn't OP have one teacher for Maths?
He wouldn't be wasting lessons, one day the teacher might do 2u work, while another 4u work

pretty much agree with you.

and to extend upon the bolded point you raise, I go to a selective school and first of all, it is too damn competitive to offer any level of maths in an accelerated form. and also all classes (2U, 3U and 4U) have one teacher only - easier for timetabling and easier for students and teachers to work with. even more generally, it is much easier for administrative purposes. and as FA16 says, my teacher will randomly do 2u today, and then 4u tomorrow. And the big thing is we as a 4u class can't go too fast for any topics, because the 2U, 3U and 4U assessments set are the same across the cohort and test the same topics.

So, although we could breeze through the 2U topics, we cover the 2u topics at the same rate as the 2U and 3U classes, to make sure all the classes stay aligned and pretty much ensure consistent progress across the cohort. of course, we still have the option as a competent 4u class to cover the 2u content quite quickly and spend a lot of that saved time on 4u and its difficulties.

so some food for thought there....

HSC
pretty much agree with you.

and to extend upon the bolded point you raise, I go to a selective school and first of all, it is too damn competitive to offer any level of maths in an accelerated form. and also all classes (2U, 3U and 4U) have one teacher only - easier for timetabling and easier for students and teachers to work with. even more generally, it is much easier for administrative purposes. and as FA16 says, my teacher will randomly do 2u today, and then 4u tomorrow. And the big thing is we as a 4u class can't go too fast for any topics, because the 2U, 3U and 4U assessments set are the same across the cohort and test the same topics.

So, although we could breeze through the 2U topics, we cover the 2u topics at the same rate as the 2U and 3U classes, to make sure all the classes stay aligned and pretty much ensure consistent progress across the cohort. of course, we still have the option as a competent 4u class to cover the 2u content quite quickly and spend a lot of that saved time on 4u and its difficulties.

so some food for thought there....
hahaha everyone would accelerate maths!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Seeing as though the exams are on at the exact same time for the HSC then the school would have to be a special kind of sadistic to make you sit through all of the 2,3 and 4U classes.
Hermione ganger can do this

the wobbulator

HSC

Thanks !
2unit never heard of it :p but seriously the 4u content itself is a mouthful to understand.
I think extension1 maths has some of those 2unit component like series and superannuation. The only applicable 2unit subject tht is quite important for 4u is probability.
Apart from tht extension 1 is harder 2 unit. So learning extension 1 would help u do better in 2unit as the concept are quite similar

mreditor16

HSC
2unit never heard of it :p but seriously the 4u content itself is a mouthful to understand.
I think extension1 maths has some of those 2unit component like series and superannuation. The only applicable 2unit subject tht is quite important for 4u is probability.
Apart from tht extension 1 is harder 2 unit. So learning extension 1 would help u do better in 2unit as the concept are quite similar
You're essentially right, but how you've expressed it is quite confusing.

Basically,

a) 4U content is quite difficult, so it will definitely take up more than 50% of time you put into maths

b) a lot of extension 1 draws upon the concepts of 2U, so having a solid understanding of 2U topics gives a good foundation for learning and doing Qs on 3U and even 4U content

c) yep probability is a hard topic in 4U (4U probability comes under harder 3U iirc) with probability being taught initially in 2U. so that's an example of where 2U is important.

d) in the 3U exam, they can test 2U concepts, under the title of harder 2u. so you definitely need to know 2U to do a lot of the questions that appear in the 3U exam, especially the harder ones...

e) when doing a 4U question, utilising a 2U technique might be necessary (and if not, may still provide a quicker and more neater solution - which saves time in the exam :D). common 2u techniques used in 4u include perpendicular distance formula (especially in conics) and APs/GPs (especially in those hard integration questions)

Hope that helps :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Since there are very few 2U topics that are purely 2U (ie: Trapezoidal & Simpson's Rule, Consumer Arithmetic), you don't need to dedicate too much time to 2U.

By studying for 3U, and to some extent 4U, you are for the most part also studying for 2U.

However, be warned that there are things taught in the 2U course that are commonly used in 3U and 4U such as sum of GP/limiting sum.

tryhard1232

HSC
Don't think that's possible cause we have the same class & teacher for 3u (covering both the 2 & 3u content)
Have a separate class for 4u content only with a different teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)