Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

Crates

Banned
HSC
5233andy said:
Do you value life? Regardless of who I'm talking to, life is indeed precious and it would be a real shame to end the life of another - despite their past.

'How do you walk with your head held high?' - imagine that you're the judge and you sentenced a convicted criminal to death. Wouldn't you feel a sense of guilt?
No. Fuck guilt. If a person chooses to kill someone, or commit an act which infringes significantly on the health/wellbeing or another individual, then they deserve to be punished. Whether that involves said individual being killed depends on the circumstances.

If I were a judge and I had sentenced someone to death, I'd definitely be able to hold my head high. In fact, I'd be able to hold it higher knowing that I've rid the world of scum.

HSC
Only Muslim countries, China and the USA execute people. It's for savages and idiots.

Crates

Banned
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Only Muslim countries, China and the USA execute people. It's for savages and idiots.
Lol. You've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Also, your facts are pretty skewed. According to http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html, there are countries other than Arab countries, China and the USA who still have the death penalty in place. Also, many other countries other than the ones listed still have the death penalty in place for specific crimes.

Last edited:
HSC
Crates said:
Lol. You've got your opinion and I've got mine.
Mine happens to be morally, ethically and pragmatically backed, not ideologically.

YOUR MOVE.

Death Penalty isn't a deterrent

Death Penalty doesn't save money

Death Penalty isn't ethical based on its own principles/terms.

Crates

Banned
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Mine happens to be morally, ethically and pragmatically backed, not ideologically.

YOUR MOVE.

Death Penalty isn't ethical based on its own principles/terms.
WHAT? The death penalty is as good a deterrent as anything. Would you have the balls to try and sneak drugs into Indonesia?

Also, in the long run, the death penalty IS cheaper than keeping someone in jail for a lifetime. I read somewhere that the cost of administering the death penalty amounts to around $250,000. Now, for a crime that warrants the death penalty, say murder, in a country such as Australia, you'd receive about 25 years in prison.

Simple maths: 25 X $50,000 (the average cost of keeping someone in prison/year) = A lot of money. I can't be fucked doing the maths. But, it's over a million dollars.

Last edited:
HSC
Crates said:
WHAT? The death penalty is as good a deterrent as anything. Would you have the balls to try and sneak drugs into Indonesia?
A lot of people would because they convince themselves they're not going to get caught.

In regards to murder: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/DonohueDeter.pdf

Also, in the long run, the death penalty IS cheaper than keeping someone in jail for a lifetime. I read somewhere that the cost of administering the death penalty amounts to around $250,000. Now, for a crime that warrants the death penalty, say murder, in a country such as Australia, you'd receive about 25 years in prison.

Simple maths: 25 X $50,000 (the average cost of keeping someone in prison/year) = A lot of money. I can't be fucked doing the maths. But, it's over a million dollars.
That doesn't include an increase in the standard of evidence and the number of appeals afforded to the individuals. In a case with so much at stake, the costs are escalating.

The reasons people commit murder are very very clear: Profit, heat of the moment, or they're psychotic.

For profit they think they're going to get away with it and convince themselves they're going to get away with it - thus no deterrent

Heat of the moment - it just happens - no deterrent

Psychotic - You guessed it, no deterrent.

Also if you're arguing for the death penalty for crimes other than murder you are completely fucking retarded.

Crates

Banned
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
A lot of people would because they convince themselves they're not going to get caught.

In regards to murder: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/DonohueDeter.pdf

That doesn't include an increase in the standard of evidence and the number of appeals afforded to the individuals. In a case with so much at stake, the costs are escalating.

The reasons people commit murder are very very clear: Profit, heat of the moment, or they're psychotic.

For profit they think they're going to get away with it and convince themselves they're going to get away with it - thus no deterrent

Psychotic - You guessed it, no deterrent.

Also if you're arguing for the death penalty for crimes other than murder you are completely fucking retarded.
Fair enough, I did my own research into the cost of executing people, and it is pretty enormous, much more than I had thought.

Also, I'm not advocating the death penalty for anything other than murder.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
youbrokemylife said:
lol. i'm pretty sure it is. if driving a car was made illegal tommorow under penalty of death then i sure as hell wouldn't be driving my car. a lot of people would be convinced they wouldn't get caught. ok. but a lot more are going to be convinced that they very well could.

Depends how it's done, comrade.

nice arguments comrade. care to explain a bit moar? i mean, maybe this is just my crazy commie intuition, but "heat of the moment" actions are still governed by the workings of that ever so mysterious brain of ours. if the brain is conditioned to think that murder = my own death, then it seems highly likely that this brain would stop urges to murder for the purposes of self-preservation. works the same way for profit imo.

i'm pretty sure that if murder wasn't illegal then i'd have done it by now.

I still support it, er, in theory. Doesn't quite work in practise because I wouldn't advocate a system that could put a potentially innocent man to death. I can live with an innocent man going to jail though, lolz.

Last edited:
HSC
Are you a fucking retard? There's a massive difference between logically accepting that lol if I kill someone I die so I won't loal. You'd still go to gaol. Making something illegal isn't inherently a deterrent to those who are committed to perform the action.

Mrrrrrrrrr

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Pretty sure it has been documented that the death penalty is not a deterrent for serious crimes such is murder.

Nor is the three strikes deal in California.

Will find said documents.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i also like the death penalty because it allows families of victims to get revenge.

humans are a vengeful species.

oh my yes.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
i also like the death penalty because it allows families of victims to get revenge.

humans are a vengeful species.

oh my yes.
A quick death as opposed to a life behind bars, to me, would not be revenge. Especially if my loved one had been brutally murdered. Dying by the state, to me, is a much more dignified way of going than 99% of homicides.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/bocsar/ll_bocsar.nsf/vwFiles/CJB84.pdf/$file/CJB84.pdf
The efficacy of capital punishment as a deterrent against crime, as this review of the literature shows, is still a vexed issue among researchers almost thirty years after the publication of Ehrlich’s (1975a) econometric model. The weight of the research evidence, covering different jurisdictions at different time
periods, still favours the ‘no deterrence’ conclusion
http://www.amnestyusa.org/Fact_Shee...Deterrent/page.do?id=1101085&n1=3&n2=28&n3=99
This one has a graph, coz we know commies can't read

FBI data shows that 11 of the 12 states without capital punishment in 2006 had homicide rates below the national average. The threat of execution at some future date is unlikely to enter the minds of those acting under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, those who are in the grip of fear or rage, those who are panicking while committing another crime (such as a robbery), or those who suffer from mental illness or mental retardation and do not fully understand the gravity of their crime.
Indeed, 10 of the 12 states without capital punishment have homicide rates below the national average, Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows, while half the states with the death penalty have homicide rates above the national average. In a state-by- state analysis, The Times found that during the last 20 years, the homicide rate in states with the death penalty has been 48 percent to 101 percent higher than in states without the death penalty.
http://www.truthinjustice.org/922death.htm

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-about-deterrence-and-death-penalty

bawd

HSC
I support the Death Penalty only in extreme, extreme cases but not for crimes that would be considered much too petty to deserve a death sentence.

Maybe I've been watching Dexter too much and the idea of serving justice is embedded in my unconscious.

E

Empyrean444

HalcyonSky said:
I support this

Arguing morality is childish
What a load of crap: this is a moral debate. Arguing morality is essential. There is a moral component to most laws. Morality is important. By killing a killer, you merely bring yourself down to their level - you degrade yourself.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Empyrean444 said:
What a load of crap: this is a moral debate. Arguing morality is essential. There is a moral component to most laws. Morality is important. By killing a killer, you merely bring yourself down to their level - you degrade yourself.
Morality is subjective.

5233andy said:
Do you value life? Regardless of who I'm talking to, life is indeed precious and it would be a real shame to end the life of another - despite their past.
?
the value of a life is subjective, anybody who says that they value all life equally is a lying son of a bitch.

abstract concepts are useless in an argument.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
FBI said:
FBI data shows that 11 of the 12 states without capital punishment in 2006 had homicide rates below the national average. The threat of execution at some future date is unlikely to enter the minds of those acting under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, those who are in the grip of fear or rage, those who are panicking while committing another crime (such as a robbery), or those who suffer from mental illness or mental retardation and do not fully understand the gravity of their crime.
CUM HOC ERGO PROPTER HOC

yes that's right FBI: I know better than you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)