Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

davin

HSC
N/A
while i understand your moral highground point, the idea is that its NOT the same. if you heard abotu a murderer, so you tracked them down and killed them yourself, thats one thing, but having a system of laws that set punishments isn't the same as one person deciding to kill someone based purely on their own motives

X

xeuyrawp

davin said:
while i understand your moral highground point, the idea is that its NOT the same. if you heard abotu a murderer, so you tracked them down and killed them yourself, thats one thing, but having a system of laws that set punishments isn't the same as one person deciding to kill someone based purely on their own motives
Where in the world do you live? Your success in separating the law from people in impressive, I'd love to live there.

Unfortunately, basic principles of Common Law are that the legal system reflects what's happening in society. Judges, jurors, cops, etc bring so much baggage with them that there is no such thing as a 'system of laws' that is different to 'one person deciding...'

davin

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Where in the world do you live? Your success in separating the law from people in impressive, I'd love to live there.

Unfortunately, basic principles of Common Law are that the legal system reflects what's happening in society. Judges, jurors, cops, etc bring so much baggage with them that there is no such thing as a 'system of laws' that is different to 'one person deciding...'
so i take it you already feel guilty for being responsible for kidnapping people (arresting people), holding them against their will (keeping them in jail), and extortion (any fines the gov't has people pay so taht the first two don't happen)?

Gangels

HSC
MRCUNT said:
thats interesting, so its alrite to kill animals but not other humans? wat have animals done wrong? after humans and animals are in my perspective the same, we arent much different, they argue that we are smarter, but are we?

we still are greedy, get diseases, and learn things. animals learn things, as well but its easier for them to learn from their own species.

so i there is justice in killin in somone. justice is all in the name of good vs bad. kill bad people - thats justice isnt it? why not? i lot people deserved to be killed, thats why saddam hasbeen murdering and massacring people. because he 'thought' they deserved it.
Are you going to eat the humans. if you were going to kill them and survive then sure, Im all for it. But then thats just wasting a life. If your going to go kill animals for a sport then thats fucked and so is killing a human for watever reason.

Shutup with the animal shit. If you wanna live as a sick vegetarian forever dont blame me

Gangels

HSC
MRCUNT said:
thats interesting, so its alrite to kill animals but not other humans? wat have animals done wrong? after humans and animals are in my perspective the same, we arent much different, they argue that we are smarter, but are we?

we still are greedy, get diseases, and learn things. animals learn things, as well but its easier for them to learn from their own species.

so i there is justice in killin in somone. justice is all in the name of good vs bad. kill bad people - thats justice isnt it? why not? i lot people deserved to be killed, thats why saddam hasbeen murdering and massacring people. because he 'thought' they deserved it.
Oh and Saddam hussain killed people because like you say, MR CUNT! Hes a cunt. He wanted power. He eliminated all oposition to get to the top. Hittler did it, Stalin did it, Mussolini did it, Mout Zitoung did it. And wat do you get out of killing someone, Satisfaction? Thats wat they got when they killed your brother, or you father, or your mother, cousin etc. So your doing the exact same thing to them that they did. Does that not make you a murderer? Or accomlice to?

davin

HSC
N/A
and if that makes you a murderer, does the fact that people are arrested, put in jail, and not released when they want to go make you an accomplice to kidnapping and imprisonment?
isn't that the same thing, the gov't doing something that a private citizen would be considered a criminal for doing?

Gangels

HSC
davin said:
and if that makes you a murderer, does the fact that people are arrested, put in jail, and not released when they want to go make you an accomplice to kidnapping and imprisonment?
isn't that the same thing, the gov't doing something that a private citizen would be considered a criminal for doing?
Hmmmm, thats a good point. Ignore my last statement. Cept still support wat i said about hussain

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
"Well, at all events it is a good thing that there's no pain when the poor fellow's head flies off," he remarked.

"Do you know, though," cried the prince warmly, "you made that remark now, and everyone says the same thing, and the machine is designed with the purpose of avoiding pain, this guillotine I mean; but a thought came into my head then: what if it be a bad plan after all? You may laugh at my idea, perhaps--but I could not help its occurring to me all the same. Now with the rack and tortures and so on--you suffer terrible pain of course; but then your torture is bodily pain only (although no doubt you have plenty of that) until you die. But here I should imagine the most terrible part of the whole punishment is, not the bodily pain at all--but the certain knowledge that in an hour,--then in ten minutes, then in half a minute, then now--this very instant--your soul must quit your body and that you will no longer be a man-- and that this is certain, certain! That's the point--the certainty of it. Just that instant when you place your head on the block and hear the iron grate over your head--then--that quarter of a second is the most awful of all.

This is not my own fantastical opinion--many people have thought the same; but I feel it so deeply that I'll tell you what I think. I believe that to execute a man for murder is to punish him immeasurably more dreadfully than is equivalent to his crime. A murder by sentence is far more dreadful than a murder committed by a criminal. The man who is attacked by robbers at night, in a dark wood, or anywhere, undoubtedly hopes and hopes that he may yet escape until the very moment of his death. There are plenty of instances of a man running away, or imploring for mercy--at all events hoping on in some degree--even after his throat was cut. But in the case of an execution, that last hope--having which it is so immeasurably less dreadful to die,--is taken away from the wretch and certainty substituted in its place! There is his sentence, and with it that terrible certainty that he cannot possibly escape death--which, I consider, must be the most dreadful anguish in the world. You may place a soldier before a cannon's mouth in battle, and fire upon him--and he will still hope. But read to that same soldier his death-sentence, and he will either go mad or burst into tears. Who dares to say that any man can suffer this without going mad? No, no! it is an abuse, a shame, it is unnecessary--why should such a thing exist? Doubtless there may be men who have been sentenced, who have suffered this mental anguish for a while and then have been reprieved; perhaps such men may have been able to relate their feelings afterwards. Our Lord Christ spoke of this anguish and dread. No! no! no! No man should be treated so, no man, no man!"

Prince Myshkin. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

davin

HSC
N/A
and it costs more to keep someone in prison than to release them

bluto blaart

HSC
gordo said:
wat do u mean it doesn't work as a detterent,
of course it bloody does

wen i walked into cairo airport, there was a big sign that said, any persons found with illegal goods is liable to be executed by hanging, it gave me the shock of my life to see something like that in reality.
The question is had you done anything to be worried about. The fact is hanging was the only punishment for a long time and it did not stop crime.Hence the saying 'may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb'.

As they realised this the powers that be relaxed things a little so you did not get hanged for stealing small items - but rather you were sent overseas as a virtual slave (indentured labour)

One country that executes the greatest number of people in the developed world is the USA and look at the murder and other crimes rate.

But the most important thing is - you can't bring back a did innocent person - as they are also starting to discover in the 'States' -

So leave the one eyed eye for an eye to the hypocrites and bigots.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
bluto blaart said:
The question is had you done anything to be worried about. The fact is hanging was the only punishment for a long time and it did not stop crime.Hence the saying 'may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb'.

As they realised this the powers that be relaxed things a little so you did not get hanged for stealing small items - but rather you were sent overseas as a virtual slave (indentured labour)

One country that executes the greatest number of people in the developed world is the USA and look at the murder and other crimes rate.

But the most important thing is - you can't bring back a did innocent person - as they are also starting to discover in the 'States' -

So leave the one eyed eye for an eye to the hypocrites and bigots.
thats rite...but its good to send to them antarctica.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
davin said:
and it costs more to keep someone in prison than to release them
Releasing them is not feasible, as it means they can reoffend, and cause a higher social cost.

davin

HSC
N/A
my point is only that i don't think it should be viewed in a purely monetary fashion unless one is ok taking that to the extremes.
also, i do question the claims that death penalty costs more than life as an absolute, considering the only way to easily but accurately compare that, i would think, would be to compare the costs between death and life in prison cases in the same legal system, in which case the death penalty cases would of course have priority for resources. i've wondered if, when the death penalty gets removed, if the resources then just get moved over to life sentence cases so that those then cost more without the death penalty cases to take resources.

Analyst

HSC
Well, he is not the only one who considers Good and Bad only in terms of money..... I mean the attackers of Iraq, the supporters of homosexuality and others do the same. When they will realise, it will already be too late coz these diseases would have spread into their own households. Death penalty tries to avoid that risk from occuring in society.

towny

HSC
N/A
my mum made an interesting point today, on the issue of how they try make it so the executionors dont know which one has actually done it. if the people actually doing executions need that kind of peace of mind, should they even be doing it in the first place?
i would be interested to see how many juries gave the death penalty if the actual jury themselves actually had to administer it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)