do you think i can get 94.30??? (1 Viewer)

instinct

hey,
based on my ranks and considering my subjects can someone tell me if its possible to get 94.30... as i really want to get into visual comm. at UTS..
i been told many times i should have done 3unit maths and adv english and more extension courses, but at the start of yr 12, i didnt think iwould be in this position.. now i find myself curious to know whether or not my subjects are going to hold me back (due to bad scaling and not doing 'difficult' subjects, such as; advanced english).... also, if anyone knows anyone who has done similar subjects to me, i'd like to know how their UAI turned out..
thanks, hope to get some good feedback...

ok, heres my ranks.. they're overall, after the trials...

2u maths:
Rank 4 out of 90 something.. thats including 3unit students.

2u business
Rank 6 out of 87...

2u ipt
Rank 1 out of 60 something... theres 2 or 3 classes i think

2u industrial tech. (multimedia focus)
Rank 1 out of 35... theres about 6 others who are rank 1.. its a crap subject.. the average is 95%.. so its not a very good indication..

2u std. english
Rank 1 out of 83.... only by a couple marks...

btw, even tho it may not be possible to get such a high UAI with the subjects im doing, ill still try but i'd like some honest feedback - thanks again~

oh yeh, i almost forget, it may help as to tell you which school i goto... well, Killara High.. and i think we do alright in hsc too if that helps
thanks again !!

spice girl

magic mirror
go look at the top 10 ppl at your school last year and wot UAI they got. It might be a good indication...you seem to be almost topping everything, so it'll depend on how you go compared to everyone else in the hsc...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's possible, yes - your personal performance in the HSC exams will likely make the difference.

instinct

spice girl; i've looked at last year's people.. no one did the exact same subjects as me. they either do an extension or advanced course.

laz; im fairly confident i can do well in the hsc. but, just how well. you mean, 90s for each exam. 'cause i think i'll struggle to get 90 in a couple subjects, parituclarly business and english. what you think?

just really wana know if 94.3 is posible and not _too_ difficult, cause i have and will be working hard to get it if it is possible...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You probably don't need 90s for every exam... I think you could still manage to get it with high 80s in a few. Best not to risk it though - you obviously want to do the best you can regardless.

But it's definitely possible.

Winston

HSC
isn't it if your ranked one for all your subjects up until thr trial your still ranked one
and for your HSC you got 90 for all subjects
wouldnt you be guranteed for a UAI of something around the 90's for sure

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Winston - when your ranked 1st in a subject, that means the highest HSC exam mark within your cohort is set as your moderated assessment mark

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
isn't it if your ranked one for all your subjects up until thr trial your still ranked one
and for your HSC you got 90 for all subjects
wouldnt you be guranteed for a UAI of something around the 90's for sure
Essentially, yes.

instinct

MinAI; please explain :) because, even though i was ranked 1 a few times and then 4 and 6, my marks were around 80 to 85% and then one was 95%...

Yellow

is there a maximum UAI that you can achieve based on your courses? like if I was to do 3 well scaled courses and 2 badly scaled ones, does that restrict me from getting over 95? (assuming that I do pretty well in all of them) and if I did 4 well scaled courses and 1 dodgy one, will that restriction increase to, say 98?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There may be a maximum UAI that you can receive, based on your abilities and so on, but there's no theoretical or mathematical upper boundary that suddenly comes into existence when you choose particular course combinations.

Yellow

ah ok. that's a relief. so you don't get extra points for getting a heavier workload.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no
u get extra points for the extra effort u put into each and everyone of your subjects, regardless on what the assumed scaling is

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by instinct
MinAI; please explain :) because, even though i was ranked 1 a few times and then 4 and 6, my marks were around 80 to 85% and then one was 95%...
I dont quite understand?
but, internal assessment marks are not distributed the same way as moderated assessment marks
the marks u get in school are the marks u get, no alterations
these marks help determine your rank in the cohort,
and then the Board of Studies uses this rank to calculate a moderated assessment mark for you, based on the overall performance of your cohort in the HSC exam
a student cannot get a higher moderated assessment mark than the highest HSC exam mark in their cohort

Winston

HSC
im sorry
sometimes im jut lost wen u guys explain..
all i know is my teachers keep saying yr 12 trials countowards
30% of our hsc final assessment mark as well
and im a n00b
what does cohort mean?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Winston
im sorry
sometimes im jut lost wen u guys explain..
all i know is my teachers keep saying yr 12 trials countowards
30% of our hsc final assessment mark as well
and im a n00b
what does cohort mean?
ok, well yes ur trial counts towards 30% of your INTERNAL assessment mark - so your teacher is either lying with intent to scare u to do well, or is misinformed
as i said, your internal assessment marks determine your ranking

cohort means the all people doing that particular subject at your school

a good place to start, if you're a n00b, is to goto the Scaling/Uai section on the main page of this site
then come here with specific queries

instinct

so your saying then, its good to be number 1...? like very good.. because the people below me in my 'cohort'.. if they do well, ill get scaled up because of their marks??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The good thing about being ranked first is that it provides you with moderation immunity - constituted by two key aspects:

1. Your moderated assessment mark is guaranteed to be exactly the same as the highest exam mark from your school cohort.

2. You will not be affected in any way by the performance of your classmates.

There's no extra 'scaling' - in fact, since John Aquilina declared that the Board doesn't scale marks, no scaling of any kind has been done by the Board. They 'align' and 'moderate' marks instead.

But being ranked first is a Very Good Thing.

Yellow

no
u get extra points for the extra effort u put into each and everyone of your subjects, regardless on what the assumed scaling is
ok, consider the following situation:

Person A does Standard English, 3U Maths, 4U Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

Person B does the same subjects but also an extra course like Visual Arts.

If they both got exactly the same moderated HSC mark and Person B's Visual Arts subject does not count when determining the UAI, would Person B get a higher UAI than Person A because B had the harder workload with 12 units instead of 10?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)