do you think i can get 94.30??? (1 Viewer)

instinct

is there much difference/variation tho of being ranked say.... 3 compared to 1? seeing as though there are only 2 positions difference??

instinct

another question i thought of.. today i found out that i tied first with this chick in ipt..
what does that mean? what happens if you get equal first for a subject ?? how does that work?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by instinct
is there much difference/variation tho of being ranked say.... 3 compared to 1? seeing as though there are only 2 positions difference??
Yes. You don't get either of the advantages I mentioned before. The moderated assessment mark of the student ranked third will be determined completely by the top exam mark and the average exam mark for their class. It could also vary depending on the number of people in the class.

Originally posted by instinct
another question i thought of.. today i found out that i tied first with this chick in ipt..
what does that mean? what happens if you get equal first for a subject ?? how does that work?
If there are two students on the top ranking, their moderated assessment marks will be set equal to the average of the top two exam marks.

instinct

so if two students both rank 1, they both receive the advantages if only one person got rank 1? so they there are no disadvantages for equalling first with someone?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The disadvantage is that you introduce a risk - you're no longer guaranteed the 'top' exam mark. You get the average of the top two. If the two people ranked first are outliers in your class, and one of them bombs out, it's going to drag that average down a fair bit. But I suppose you could use a similar analogy for being on the first ranking by yourself.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
so would i correct to say dat if the other chic did better den instinct in the hsc exam, instinct would be on the receiving end?

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
How do you guys know how the system works? especially Minai... where did u get all that info from?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
so would i correct to say dat if the other chic did better den instinct in the hsc exam, instinct would be on the receiving end?
That's correct - so long as her exam mark is one of the top two.

Originally posted by Big Willy
How do you guys know how the system works?
I started pursuing the technical details when I accelerated computing studies in Year 10 & 11. I read everything I could find and spoke to everyone who thought they knew anything. Most teachers (and students) have their own idea about how the system works. Over time, you can gradually piece together the truth. Most people who know something can also direct you to someone who knows a little bit more. It's taken a lot of intricate searching and a great deal of patience. I still had one or two misconceptions when I sat the HSC exams - and that's after researching the topic for almost three years. Actually, the aim of the original LazSeeker website, before Bored of Studies, was to provide complete and exhaustive explanations of all these types of procedures, mainly because I know how difficult it is to find out actual facts.

I also found out yesterday that my statistics tutor is the Sydney Uni representative for the Technical Committee on Scaling, and so if something ever comes up that I'm not quite sure of, I can simply ask him.

It also doesn't help that there's actually legislation in place that prevents the UAC from releasing all the info. A silly action performed by a silly education minister in 1998 when that whole Mt Druitt thing happened.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
In 1997 or 1998 (forget which), no-one at Mt Druitt High School got a UAI over 50. Back then, UAI results were public, published in the papers etc. The media made a big fiasco about it, and now UAIs are only allowed to be released to individual students and the universities - information that allows you to calculate a student's UAI exactly isn't released at all.

Yellow

but my teacher said that the school also gets the UAI results. is that true?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Nope. A complete and utter fabrication.

Your school gets your HSC results, but not your UAI.

(however, I believe they do get told what university courses you are offered a place in)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Big Willy
How do you guys know how the system works? especially Minai... where did u get all that info from?
I've actually read and re-read all of Lazarus' documents on his lazseeker site, before Bored of Studies was up, and also learned the stuff thru my economics teacher (who knows a lot about scaling procedures somehow), so i do kno what im talking about now
(its kinda made me annoyed that i didnt work harder in yr11 to get a better SDD rank, cos it dragged my HSC mark down...)

bellicoseboy

Reading notes about scaling has only depressed me, since now I know that the subject I go best in will probably be the 2 units that aren't included in my UAI. :(

instinct

thanks for the help so far... especially to Laz and MInai..
well, i just got a couple more questions...

1. Which is the better scenario to be in?

a. Be rank 1 out of 105 people for GENERAL maths, with a mark of 96/100 as the final mark for the year...

OR

b. Be rank 3 out of 95 people (including 3unit students) for MATHEMATICS, with a mark between 84-90 out of 100...

Which is better and why? in terms of scaling, end result and performance etc

And one more question

2. Is there any differences in marks when it comes down to ranks.. for eg: is there much difference if someone comes first by say, 10 marks, to someone who comes first by only 1 mark? if so, whats the difference? is it significant?? or its just the rank which is important...?

bellicoseboy

Is there any differences in marks when it comes down to ranks.. for eg: is there much difference if someone comes first by say, 10 marks, to someone who comes first by only 1 mark? if so, whats the difference? is it significant?? or its just the rank which is important...?
Yes. Difference in assessment marks are important. Here's a strange and probably incorrect explaination:

Think about it as if after the HSC exams, the Board of Studies gives your school a certain number of assessment marks to be spread out across its students. For simplicity, say there are 2 people in a subject at your school - instinct and bellicoseboy. After the HSC exam, BOS calculates that 160 marks should be allocated between the students at that school. If bellicoseboy came first, then depending on how much he came first by, the marks might be allocated as 70 for instinct and 90 for bellicose, or 75 for instinct and 85 for bellicose, etc.

Morgues

Its definetly better to be ranked 3rd in 2 unit then 1st in general

I have always wondered whether the relative differences in marks that affect rankings matter......my guess is no but the teachers at school say they do

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Bellicoseboy, where on earth did you read or hear that??

I've never read or heard anything like it (which doesn't necessarily mean it is wrong).

I have an official Board document that says the relative differences between students usually change after moderation, although that doesn't really answer the question posed.

If there are only two students, the student ranked first will be given the top exam mark for their moderated assessment mark, and the other student should be given a mod. assess. mark that will make the average of the mod. assess. marks the same as the average of the exam marks.

The only way in which this can happen (that I can think of) is if the student ranked second is given the only other exam mark in the class! So, either they get the same mod. assess. mark as their exam mark, or if the guy ranked second beats the guy ranked first, they switch and get the other person's exam mark as their mod. assess. mark.

There are three criteria that must be satisfied during the moderating process:

1) The top mod. assess. mark is set equal to the top exam mark.
2) The mean of the mod. assess. marks is equal to the mean of the exam marks.
3) The total of the mod. asses. marks must be the same as the total of the exam marks.

I don't think they can be satisfied if you try to account for the relative differences between students.

But I could be wrong. Will check on it later tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)