• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you think I should be worried? (2 Viewers)

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
I've been getting 15-16/20's and about 11-12/15 for my essays before and for trials. However after trials I re did all my essays and stepped them up a notch! I sent my essays to my teachers to mark them and they all give me 14/15 and 19/20's for everything.

Should I be worried, since they might be marking easier because the HSC is nearing and they don't want to destroy my confidence! if it helps in anyway my school is ranked in the 30's and they are quite strict markers - so I don't really understand why they would mark easily either

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been getting 15-16/20's and about 11-12/15 for my essays before and for trials. However after trials I re did all my essays and stepped them up a notch! I sent my essays to my teachers to mark them and they all give me 14/15 and 19/20's for everything.

Should I worried, since they might be marking easier because the HSC nearing and they don't want to destroy my confidence! if it helps in anyway my school is ranked in the 30's and they are quite strict markers - so I don't really understand why they would mark easily either
Im not sure, but i might be a bit worried. Since all teachers have different opinions and attitudes o_O.. regardless of hsc or school... If you're getting 19/20 and 14/15 that is supreme!! just keep studying and don't worry!!! youll do fine!!!!!!

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
Im not sure, but i might be a bit worried. Since all teachers have different opinions and attitudes o_O.. regardless of hsc or school... If you're getting 19/20 and 14/15 that is supreme!! just keep studying and don't worry!!! youll do fine!!!!!!
Thanks for that! I'll perhaps send it to another teacher for a second opinion and re-reading what I just posted, I need to fix up that grammar!

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that! I'll perhaps send it to another teacher for a second opinion and re-reading what I just posted, I need to fix up that grammar!
Yes give it to multiple teachers!!. I got my essays marked by a range of hsc teachers and school teachers. Both of the parties had different types of criticisms and feedbacks o_O....... but they all gave me a similar mark :)...

I'd say give it to atleast 3 teachers to secure yourself :0... (Possibly one hsc marker, one tutor and school teacher)

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
Yes give it to multiple teachers!!. I got my essays marked by a range of hsc teachers and school teachers. Both of the parties had different types of criticisms and feedbacks o_O....... but they all gave me a similar mark :)...

I'd say give it to atleast 3 teachers to secure yourself :0... (Possibly one hsc marker, one tutor and school teacher)
The only person I have access to is my school teacher and then there are teachers who don't teach me, but teach the other Advanced English classes. So how exactly do you get access to HSC markers?

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
The only person I have access to is my school teacher and then there are teachers who don't teach me, but teach the other Advanced English classes. So how exactly do you get access to HSC markers?
I go to a tutoring college so i have acess to hsc teachers but you can try ferghsc. They got hsc markers but they are pretty costly, $20 per essay..

But im not too sure, if you got 19/20 and etc.. you should be fine!!!!.. I don't think other class teachers will assit you highly, as their priority is their own students.

I once handed in essays but the teacher was not allowed to give me 100% feedback since i wasn't her student!

herbs1

HSC
Study, don't care about teacher marks, they mean nothing. Look at the criticism and work on that. Then just study and you'll get what you deserve

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Study, don't care about teacher marks, they mean nothing. Look at the criticism and work on that. Then just study and you'll get what you deserve
True, this individual got 19/20 and 14/15 so he/she must be a very competent writer!! Best solution is to study and ace the HSC!

herbs1

HSC
True, this individual got 19/20 and 14/15 so he/she must be a very competent writer!! Best solution is to study and ace the HSC!
being good at english isn't hard.

Protips:

Unseen text:
Read through them in reading time.
When you start, spend 5 minutes quickly going over each one, and annotate important lines/techniques. A couple of good ones per text will be fine. This 5 minutes will save you 10 minutes down the road.
Now you can easily answer questions, because all the thinking is done for you! Just select techniques, quotes and talk about it for a bit. Only write as much as you need. A line or 2 for 1 markers, 4-7 lines for 2 markers, half a page - 3/4 page for 3 markers and so on. You should easily do 1 and a bit pages for the 5 maker, probably more in the rage of 1.5. Ideally, you should have to only spend 35 min on this section, including the annotating time. It's really not that hard.

Story: Go in with an idea, but don't have it planned out word for word. Adapt it to suit the question. Interesting ideas win big. Markers read the same shit a lot, so go for something interesting, existential, whatever. It would help if you weren't a retard and have actually read some good stories/philosophy whatever, but if not, try to think of something whacky. Get inspired. My first belonging story at the start of year 12 was E.A.Poe based horror about a scientist as he recounts his experiment in a world to create twins (in which, obviously, twins are not normally formed), and the concept is so unique (irony lol) that everyone has it performed, creating a clone world. Nothing special, yeah, but it's the style of the writing that won it. If you can write in a genre, you are good to go. Use dialogue. A lot. Use it well. Develop your characters. Don't say he was gruff, show it (mother fucker). Break from perspective as well, other points is a nice touch. Maybe have flashbacks. Make your story stick out.

Also, don't make your point about belonging obvious to the question. If the question is belonging to a place, don't actually make it a place, that's stupid. Explore the limits etc. If you send me your short stories, I will tell you how shit/good they are. Not that I have any authority, but my highest marks come from story writing.

Essay:
Don't over-complicate thesis. General thesis is good, but not too general. Have a direction which explores several issues of belonging, but making an intricate thesis will only be your undoing. Keep it simple really. You're marked on how you back up your points, not your argument, so keep that in mind. Use interesting techniques, and talk about your medium of production or textual form! What does the form say about belonging? Why was it chosen? This is stuff no one does, and it will give you some space to grow. Look at sentence structure, English is a really interesting language,
for example:
I died for beauty, but was scarce:
What are some techniques?
Alliteration, whatever, double meaning of scarce? yeah...idk.
Instead, think...well, b is a very sharp sound, it creates emphasis on beauty, the concept worth dying for, but with the comma in the second section, creates a sharp turn off, or sense of isolation.

Idc if thats not what Em Dick had in mind, but the effect of sounds, sentence structure, shape, form whatever is interesting. Use it. Don't skimp on your techniques. Everyone is using the same "unique" quotes as you, so make yours stand out.

Also, use lots of quotes. Fuck. How do people not get this? Quotes = take up space, substitute your ideas for pre-written stuff, and back up argument. Have a quote every 2nd sentence. Maybe even every sentence in a short paragraph. This will show your profound textual knowledge, by being able to use multiple quotes to show a common theme, but express different aspects of this theme.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
being good at english isn't hard.

Protips:

Unseen text:
Read through them in reading time.
When you start, spend 5 minutes quickly going over each one, and annotate important lines/techniques. A couple of good ones per text will be fine. This 5 minutes will save you 10 minutes down the road.
Now you can easily answer questions, because all the thinking is done for you! Just select techniques, quotes and talk about it for a bit. Only write as much as you need. A line or 2 for 1 markers, 4-7 lines for 2 markers, half a page - 3/4 page for 3 markers and so on. You should easily do 1 and a bit pages for the 5 maker, probably more in the rage of 1.5. Ideally, you should have to only spend 35 min on this section, including the annotating time. It's really not that hard.

Story: Go in with an idea, but don't have it planned out word for word. Adapt it to suit the question. Interesting ideas win big. Markers read the same shit a lot, so go for something interesting, existential, whatever. It would help if you weren't a retard and have actually read some good stories/philosophy whatever, but if not, try to think of something whacky. Get inspired. My first belonging story at the start of year 12 was E.A.Poe based horror about a scientist as he recounts his experiment in a world to create twins (in which, obviously, twins are not normally formed), and the concept is so unique (irony lol) that everyone has it performed, creating a clone world. Nothing special, yeah, but it's the style of the writing that won it. If you can write in a genre, you are good to go. Use dialogue. A lot. Use it well. Develop your characters. Don't say he was gruff, show it (mother fucker). Break from perspective as well, other points is a nice touch. Maybe have flashbacks. Make your story stick out.

Also, don't make your point about belonging obvious to the question. If the question is belonging to a place, don't actually make it a place, that's stupid. Explore the limits etc. If you send me your short stories, I will tell you how shit/good they are. Not that I have any authority, but my highest marks come from story writing.

Essay:
Don't over-complicate thesis. General thesis is good, but not too general. Have a direction which explores several issues of belonging, but making an intricate thesis will only be your undoing. Keep it simple really. You're marked on how you back up your points, not your argument, so keep that in mind. Use interesting techniques, and talk about your medium of production or textual form! What does the form say about belonging? Why was it chosen? This is stuff no one does, and it will give you some space to grow. Look at sentence structure, English is a really interesting language,
for example:
I died for beauty, but was scarce:
What are some techniques?
Alliteration, whatever, double meaning of scarce? yeah...idk.
Instead, think...well, b is a very sharp sound, it creates emphasis on beauty, the concept worth dying for, but with the comma in the second section, creates a sharp turn off, or sense of isolation.

Idc if thats not what Em Dick had in mind, but the effect of sounds, sentence structure, shape, form whatever is interesting. Use it. Don't skimp on your techniques. Everyone is using the same "unique" quotes as you, so make yours stand out.

Also, use lots of quotes. Fuck. How do people not get this? Quotes = take up space, substitute your ideas for pre-written stuff, and back up argument. Have a quote every 2nd sentence. Maybe even every sentence in a short paragraph. This will show your profound textual knowledge, by being able to use multiple quotes to show a common theme, but express different aspects of this theme.
Im actually doing a unique creative also...

My story is based metaphorically , it's called the 'The White Line'... :)

i had to rewrite a few stories i probably have 5-10 plans for creative also, couple for feature articles and etc.. since creatitive writing mark was appauling for trials 8/15.. First time i ever got this kind of mark for english in my hsc...... but i understood since the idea was very basic, it was cliche and boring :). My story for trials was a person travelling to his home country and zz you know the typical bullshit LOL..

herbs1

HSC
Im actually doing a unique creative also...

My story is based metaphorically , it's called the 'The White Line'... :)

i had to rewrite a few stories i probably have 5-10 plans for creative also, couple for feature articles and etc.. since creatitive writing mark was appauling for trials 8/15.. First time i ever got this kind of mark for english in my hsc...... but i understood since the idea was very basic, it was cliche and boring :). My story for trials was a person travelling to his home country and zz you know the typical bullshit LOL..
yes thats a shit idea. A shit idea will work if well done but, so even with the most cliche bs, if its well written itll fly

interesting

HSC
N/A
what if the criticisms are all different like one expects this and the other says you shouldnt do it?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe you're just getting better and you're going to nail the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)