Do you think people who go to USYD are snobs. (1 Viewer)

Do you think we a snobs?

• Yes

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 58.8%

• Total voters

Lainee

HSC
Being rich = makes you a snob
Private school = makes you a snob
USyd = automatically enrols you into snob-ville with similarly snob-minded people where after x number of years you grow in snob status and graduate with a B.Snobbery

:confused: Such injustice...

EDIT: on a totally unrelated note... 600th post! yay! :D

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
For the record, I don't think that everyone who goes to USYD is a snob. Its the select few that causes the problems and gives USYD a "snob" like reputation.

But then, its a select few at every uni which can give a uni a bad name.

Lainee

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
well like i said usyd doesnt make snobs out of ppl- no uni does

but lots of snobs are attracted to it
I generally consider myself quite a nice person - quite un-snobbish... (heheh 'snob' is a funny word snobsnobsnobsnob :p ) I wonder if being snobby is contagious. One of the reasons my parents gave for not letting me take an MLC or PLC scholarship - scared I would get the 'rich-kid' syndrome and demand BMWs or something.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well it all depends what you consider a snob in the end

is it just do to with being rich? or not knowing/considering other view points? being an utter fucking asshole?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
well im probably not a snob. i cant help being wealthy but i can help being an arsehole or narrowminded, and im not

Lainee

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
well it all depends what you consider a snob in the end

is it just do to with being rich? or not knowing/considering other view points? being an utter fucking asshole?
Snob is like someone who just regards themselves as superior to everyone else just because other people do/have/like different things to them. So like... someone who can afford expensive fashions looking down on someone in chainstore clothes. Or maybe not even looking down, just dismissing them as of any importance.

So there's like... intellectual snobbery, rich-factor snobbery, just generally better snobbery. Or like some greenies... like my neighbour who perpetually stand guard outside our house with hands on hips and tsktsk's us everytime we water the lawn. :rolleyes:

EDIT: crap, just read this again and think I should defend my lawn watering habits. I'm quite environmentally considerate (cut down on plastic shopping bags, recycling etc.) but my grass is seriously dying! Grass is part of the environment too! That woman just yaps on about how I'm making farmers broke and contributing to the decay of the world. Gah...

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
for this poll to have had a successful outcome towards a "YES" it should've been posted in UWS forums...cuz they hate us...:D

[Edited]

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LoneShadow said:
for this poll to have had a successful outcome towards a "no" it should've been posted in UWS forums...cuz they hate us...:D
We don't hate USYD people ... we just hate the people who instantly assume that we are "dumbasses" cause we go to UWS. Oh, and the ones that feel that they are more superiour than us, cause they go to a more "prestigious" uni.

Lainee

HSC
LoneShadow said:
for this poll to have had a successful outcome towards a "no" it should've been posted in UWS forums...cuz they hate us...:D
Really...? That's disheartening... but why?! I have no ill feelings towards them! Okay - who went and pissed off the UWS's here - common, fess up! :p

tennille

HSC
Lainee said:
Really...? That's disheartening... but why?! I have no ill feelings towards them! Okay - who went and pissed off the UWS's here - common, fess up! :p
There are heaps of threads bagging out UWS.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:

lot's of pple who go to USyed, UNSW, UTS, or Maq tease UWS pple for going there....I'm not saying that I have been one of those teasers....but am not rulling out anything....:eek:

Lainee

HSC
Tennille said:
There are heaps of threads bagging out UWS.
Seriously? Well... I dunno. I just see Asquithian dissing USyd alot - especially law faculty. :p

Cape said:
We don't hate USYD people ... we just hate the people who instantly assume that we are "dumbasses" cause we go to UWS.
If it helps... I think most of you UWS are just as intelligent as any other university students - if not more in many cases. I've lived in the far west most of my life, and I really don't see why most people associate anything with the word 'west' in it as somehow inferior!

...so any other UWS's reading this, I hope that if you really do assume all of us to be snobs that you could please rethink that. Because it's like, the pot calling kettle black ("you're generalising" "no, you're generalising more!") :p

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Cape said:
We don't hate USYD people ... we just hate the people who instantly assume that we are "dumbasses" cause we go to UWS. Oh, and the ones that feel that they are more superiour than us, cause they go to a more "prestigious" uni.

couldn't be more true....but be honest...u would've said we R snobs.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think alot of people that go to usyd engage in snobbery...
Alot of them probably think their uni is the best, most prestigious, well funded university in australia (i'm afraid the funding award goes to ANU).

So yes i feel that alot of snobs would go to usyd.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
I dunno much about law [and neither care about it...in fact i hate it...hate it...and lawyers too..:p]...but from what I've heard from the majority of pple...UNSW is the mightier uni when it comes to law.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Most people at usyd would be of the opinion that their uni is the bestest uni ever.
You mean they haven't heard of Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkley and the like?

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
You mean they haven't heard of Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Berkley and the like?
I think he means in NSW....cuz there's Monash, ANU and even UNSW that could claim to be the same level or even better than Usyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)