Do you think people who go to USYD are snobs. (1 Viewer)

Do you think we a snobs?

• Yes

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 50 58.8%

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
When most people look at their preferences.. they put usyd at the top because they think it's the best, most selective uni.
It's not because they've looked into the different styles of teaching etc at various uni's, it's just cuz they think it's the best and they wanna go to the best uni. Once they get there, they feel they are 'the best'.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
bestest they can attain.
LOL well I think that most would see usyd as the best uni for them, that's why they went there.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
well i voted yes.... just cos? i wouldnt say ALL ppl who go to usyd are snobby, but probably a lot are... thats not necassarily a bad thing. i dunno, i went to UTS last yr and that was sorta snobby in its own ways too. i'd say theres a bit of snobbiness at ALL the metropolitan uni's.

Lainee

HSC
Asquithian said:
Well you know you guys have only taken 30 years to catch up.

:p
Shush you! You got your UNSW Law, I have my USYD Law - we're heading towards the same profession! (Bro, I could take a sudden leap up the firm ladder and be your boss one day :p ) A little professional courtesy won't go wrong *adjusts tie importantly* ;) :D

LoneShadow said:
I dunno much about law [and neither care about it...in fact i hate it...hate it...and lawyers too..]...but from what I've heard from the majority of pple...UNSW is the mightier uni when it comes to law.
Yeah... and I hate engineers, and accountants... and oh yeah, doctors as well. All of them, especially the ones who build structually sound buildings for us to live in. :rolleyes:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
at UTS open day, none of them would even talk to me. The staff were so impolite n shit....
and u r gonna study there?....tusk tusk tusk....pfft...If I were u I would do engineering and chemistry...then make a bomb and blow up the lot....of course first turn on the fire alram so everyone gets out....:D...Muhahahahahahahhaha

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I have to agree, unsw is a much friendlier uni... even with the religious fanatics it made the best impression on me at open day..
But it's just too far away from where i live.

edit: lol i'm gunna study at uws.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
Yeah... and I hate engineers, and accountants... and oh yeah, doctors as well. All of them, especially the ones who build structually sound buildings for us to live in. :rolleyes:
OIIIIIIII......lawyers do no good to society..It's a proven fact...even Homer Simpson knows that; and dat dudgy lawyer of his....:D

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i think law is a really not nice profession. id hate to have to work for a guilty person and send someone innocent to gaol.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
i think law is a really not nice profession. id hate to have to work for a guilty person and send someone innocent to gaol.
exactly my point.....cuz law is no longer about fairness and being just...it's about winning and charging the poor monkey double.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
O yes, society would be so great without lawyers :rolleyes:
next time someone accuses you of a crime, you can represent yourself.

nah...if I'm guilty I'll raise my ahnd and confess...otherwise I'll blow da shit outa monkey who acuses moi.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i said it wasnt a nice profession i never said it had no purpose

its often just about winning its not always about true justice. thats wat i dont like

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The idea of free speech and of court trials where both people are allowed to plea their cases is that when you have this sort of thing the ultimate truth will provail.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
justice as in a guilty person not getting charged even whe na lawyer knows he is guilty.

Lainee

HSC
Asquithian said:
I remember feeling that unsw was really friendly and less scary than usyd. I'm not bullshitting. or being bias. Like as a all on his own first year with no one from my school there I thought unsw was very friendly. Even thought the unsw yellow shirters now seem bloody annoying and hyperactive.

Usyd was scary, old and the people were not as helpful.
Wow... really different impression I got from UNSW. After Info Day, I replied this to other thread about it. I just went looking for it because it was written right soon after I got home and still had the imprint of both unis in my mind -

Lainee said:
I didn't go there expecting much from the lectures, so I was just trying to get a feel for the place. Went to USyd first. Walked around trying associate the swiggly lines that was the map to the actual buildings. Peeked into classrooms to see if seats looked comfy. Sat on the grass; very laze-about worthy. Bus tour was informative... and airconditioned - certainly lovely after trooping around for hours.

Ron McCallum (USyd Law dean) really solved everything for me really. Up to then I was still hovering between USyd and UNSW.

UNSW turned out pale in contrast. I don't really like how the buildings are planned out. I really liked USyd's sprawled out kind of feel. And everytime I asked questions and mentioned that I was still thinking between USyd and UNSW everyone would immediately go "Ohhhh UNSW for sure. USyd is so old-school and elitist." Or something along those lines. - If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

LoneShadow said:
OIIIIIIII......lawyers do no good to society..It's a proven fact...even Homer Simpson knows that; and dat dudgy lawyer of his....
lukebennett said:
i said it wasnt a nice profession i never said it had no purpose

its often just about winning its not always about true justice. thats wat i dont like
Pause to think that Law is a structure that governs everything about what you can and not do in society. I don't think people have right to complain about the government, about certain laws, human rights - and REALLY important decisions that govern your life - if they don't know the context of each law and how everything works - one reason why I decided on law.

Think of importance of law - think of complicated nature of law - think of people who are going to wad through all that crap to represent people who have no knowledge of something that governs their lives so restrictively. If you need people to hold up your houses, you need people to hold up your society - to challenge those people who make the law, go into politics and actually make the law, people who put criminals behind bars for you, people who represent you in court when that real estate agent screws you over on a deal (or when you find a snail in your wine bottle)...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The idea is that people get represented, they have a chance to defend themselves no matter what the circumstance.. The ultimate truth is supposed to prevail.

Lainee

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The idea of free speech and of court trials where both people are allowed to plea their cases is that when you have this sort of thing the ultimate truth will provail.
>.< Don't shit me with that naive nonsense. People who go to court unrepresented are faced under such disadvantages - law is complex! Expect a mentally disabled person to put together their own case to prove their innocence?!

lukebennett said:
justice as in a guilty person not getting charged even whe na lawyer knows he is guilty.
Lawyers have a fucking duty to defend their client. The client comes first. It's nothing to do whether we think they're guilty - we present their case as best as we can and leave it up to the jury to decide! That's how the system works man...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lainee said:
>.< Don't shit me with that naive nonsense. People who go to court unrepresented are faced under such disadvantages - law is complex! Expect a mentally disabled person to put together their own case to prove their innocence?!

Lawyers have a fucking duty to defend their client. The client comes first. It's nothing to do whether we think they're guilty - we present their case as best as we can and leave it up to the jury to decide! That's how the system works man...
When i talk about people pleaing their case, i ment to say "have a case presented for them".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)