Do you think prestigious unis... (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Play a role in the selecting a course?

So you have the course you want to do, do you think people would choose prestigious unis over slightly less prestigious ones.

should they play a role? Why, why not?

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Play a role in the selecting a course?
Yes.
So you have the course you want to do, do you think people would choose prestigious unis over slightly less prestigious ones.
Yes.
should they play a role? Why, why not?
If it's the same course being offered at different unis, prestige matters a lot when deciding which uni to apply for. Other factors include transport, accommodation, uni social life, cutoffs etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Of course they should play a role. Unis get prestige for a reason, for example - Sydney apparently was a fantastic university so they garnered lots of 'prestige'. Unfortunately now, the impression I get from them is, "We're not that good, so we'll just ride on the coat tails of the greatness we had 20 years ago".

Prestige is linked to many things, like it could be because of the graduates, or the teaching facilities or how nice the place looks, or even the candidature of the place.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, prestige does play a role and is one of the prime factors that drives many people towards selecting a particular course at a particular university. However, I do think that there is a bit too much emphasis that is placed on prestige nowadays, as many people believe that you are only "good" if you are studying a particular course at a "more prestigious" university. For example, I am studying commerce/law at UTS, and to many, this would appear to be "less prestigious" than studying the equivalent course at say UNSW or USYD. However, in my case, my ATAR is actually high enough to gain entry into commerce/law at any of these universities (and I did actually receive a 1st round offer for UNSW commerce/law which I declined to receive a second round UTS offer), as I valued other things and had other priorities. In my case, I have an accounting cadetship (which is in the city), and so I felt that it would be far more convenient to go to UTS (which takes 10-15 minutes) as opposed to UNSW (which would take 40 minutes). There was also the incentive that I was offered a scholarship to study at UTS. So basically, the bottom line is, yes, prestige does play a significant role, but I do think that people need to carefully consider all options and really more closely evaluate what their priorities are, as well as consider other factors beyond prestige which I personally see as a rather superficial consideration in the whole course/university selection process. :)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
prestige at Australian universities is prestige in the same sense that buying a Grand Angus is more prestigious than buying a Big Mac from McDonalds

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, prestige does play a role and is one of the prime factors that drives many people towards selecting a particular course at a particular university. However, I do think that there is a bit too much emphasis that is placed on prestige nowadays, as many people believe that you are only "good" if you are studying a particular course at a "more prestigious" university. For example, I am studying commerce/law at UTS, and to many, this would appear to be "less prestigious" than studying the equivalent course at say UNSW or USYD. However, in my case, my ATAR is actually high enough to gain entry into commerce/law at any of these universities (and I did actually receive a 1st round offer for UNSW commerce/law which I declined to receive a second round UTS offer), as I valued other things and had other priorities. In my case, I have an accounting cadetship (which is in the city), and so I felt that it would be far more convenient to go to UTS (which takes 10-15 minutes) as opposed to UNSW (which would take 40 minutes). There was also the incentive that I was offered a scholarship to study at UTS. So basically, the bottom line is, yes, prestige does play a significant role, but I do think that people need to carefully consider all options and really more closely evaluate what their priorities are, as well as consider other factors beyond prestige which I personally see as a rather superficial consideration in the whole course/university selection process. :)
Couldn't agree any more :) A+ post.

More feedback is certainly welcome.

M

MichelleV

Prestige is extremely important to many people (or in quite a few cases, their parents...)

Despite the fact that I live in, and went to public school in Western Sydney, there is an extremely widespread belief that you need to get into the most prestigious university (generally, Usyd followed by UNSW), and not to a more local Uni, such as UWS. A lot of these people didn't get ATARs for the courses, so are now extremely hopeful that EAS will be enough to qualify them for an Arts course, and then after a year they will transfer to a more 'prestigious' degree.

I know many many many people who are choosing degrees just for prestige associated with the title.

I on the other hand, am perfectly content with a 15 minute drive to UWS, even if it means less 'prestige'.
My philosophy is the lower the ATAR requirement, the less genius people you have to compete with :p

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Prestige will only count when getting a job when you compare people who have similar results but have done NO other work or extra curricular activities. If you think you are ahead just because of prestige, you're sorely mistaken.

And this coming from a 4th generation USYD'er.

avro

HSC
I know someone who goes to Sydney Uni and claims that she's "prestigious." Yet, she's horrible and always harps on about how better than everyone else she is. So called "prestige" can turn you into an unfavourable and nasty person. Sure, go to a prestigious uni if they offer your course, and you know the faculty is excellent. But many people fall into the trap of becoming snobby, when really, if you're an unfavourable, nasty and unlikable person, your job prospects become significantly reduced, thus rendering any "prestige" irrelevant. Summation, prestige does not always make the successful employee, the individual does.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
^Sounds like a real bitch. Sure USyd and UNSW are arguably the two most prestigious unis in NSW, but it's not that hard to get in. Maybe she was like that before she got in?

avro

HSC
Yeah, she was always up herself. I just think because she got in to USYD she suddenly became god's gift to humankind, or whatever.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, she was always up herself. I just think because she got in to USYD she suddenly became god's gift to humankind, or whatever.
Make a kitchen joke for us.

Then report back.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
How do you get an apprenticeship and study uni at the same time? I thought you could only do one or the other.

acemusic415

HSC
Prestige is extremely important to many people (or in quite a few cases, their parents...)

Despite the fact that I live in, and went to public school in Western Sydney, there is an extremely widespread belief that you need to get into the most prestigious university (generally, Usyd followed by UNSW), and not to a more local Uni, such as UWS. A lot of these people didn't get ATARs for the courses, so are now extremely hopeful that EAS will be enough to qualify them for an Arts course, and then after a year they will transfer to a more 'prestigious' degree.

I know many many many people who are choosing degrees just for prestige associated with the title.

I on the other hand, am perfectly content with a 15 minute drive to UWS, even if it means less 'prestige'.
My philosophy is the lower the ATAR requirement, the less genius people you have to compete with :p
+1

I agree highly with this. As I live in the western suburbs and therefore go to a public school in that region, many people place prestige as the first factor of consideration. Many look down on UWS and give little consideration to UTS. Macquarie is just chosen because of its apparently, beautiful and serene environment. People place emphasis only on USYD and UNSW which is a bit sad and displeasing to hear, because UWS, UTS and MACQ all offer great courses.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
How do you get an apprenticeship and study uni at the same time? I thought you could only do one or the other.
Hi there! Basically, I have what is called a cadetship, which is essentially where you are gaining work experience while undertaking study at university. Most commonly, cadetships are offered in accounting (which is the type of cadetship I have), but I do know that cadetships are also offered in engineering. So a cadetship is actually a really good way to boost your employability as you are basically gaining hands-on experience while you're at uni, so by the time you finish your degree (and if you've been able to maintain the cadetship for the whole time), you have a load of experience which gives you the edge over other university graduates who don't have any experience in the relevant field! The only thing that is different about what I'm doing is that I have both a scholarship at uni and a cadetship with an accounting firm, which is rare, and I am also undertaking a combined commerce/law degree while working full-time, which again is quite rate - typically here you only have one or the other, but combining work and uni is common among people, particularly those who are intending to major in accounting within a commerce degree. Hope this helps! :)

oisac

HSC
tbh l don't think prestige is that important....when you apply for a job just bcs you go UNSW and the other applicant goes UWS doesnt mean you wil get job, they look at ur marks, ur experience and personality in the interview. Say the unsw person got average credit marks, little to no work experience and was very shy and nervous in the interview as opposed to the UWS person who got Distinction and above, did quite alot of work experience, and was very easy going person in the interview....the UWS applicant will get the job...so does prestige matter? no.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hi there! Basically, I have what is called a cadetship, which is essentially where you are gaining work experience while undertaking study at university. Most commonly, cadetships are offered in accounting (which is the type of cadetship I have), but I do know that cadetships are also offered in engineering. So a cadetship is actually a really good way to boost your employability as you are basically gaining hands-on experience while you're at uni, so by the time you finish your degree (and if you've been able to maintain the cadetship for the whole time), you have a load of experience which gives you the edge over other university graduates who don't have any experience in the relevant field! The only thing that is different about what I'm doing is that I have both a scholarship at uni and a cadetship with an accounting firm, which is rare, and I am also undertaking a combined commerce/law degree while working full-time, which again is quite rate - typically here you only have one or the other, but combining work and uni is common among people, particularly those who are intending to major in accounting within a commerce degree. Hope this helps! :)
Ooo, I applied for an optus cadetship for engineering, but the lady over the phone said I could only do one or the other. Not study uni at the same time. (they wanted TAFE 1 day per week and 4 days on the job).

No biggie, My uni course offers work experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)