Do you understand shakespeares text without reading an analysis/summary? (1 Viewer)

jmlet

HSC
N/A
I think i'll be lurking around the english forum a lot LOL

so, i'm starting king richard III at school and for fk sakes i literally dont understand anything in class. teacher keeps picking on me in class discussion and i'm just sitting there nodding pretending to know. I like to read books at my own pace (very slow reader here) and read the summary on my beloved spark notes but NO. our old english teacher is so fken strict that you cant use technology in class while listening. We have english 3 consecutive days in a week like what even. i cant catch up that quick

Is it just me or does anyone not understand these shakespeare language when they talk? I forgot what shakespeare felt like LOL (probably because i never did prelim properly)
cause in class these people seem to know whats going on and they understand the shakespeare language... like what?

pls tell me im not the only one ;- ;

bangali

HSC
I love reading and often get through a novel a day, including some pretty archaic English, but I still find Shakespeare physically unreadable :p Before class, I'd pre-read the no fear Shakespeare version so you're not lost in class.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Im doing king dick iii as well and imo, i think everyone in my skool has gotten used to it since we've been doing it since year 8.
Back then it was like WTF IS THIS GUY ON ABOUT
Now its like meh

evasharman

HSC
I found during the HSC that listening to an audio version of the play made a lot more sense as it was actually "dramatic" and thus quite easy to follow. Pre-reading no fear shakespeare/sparknotes/whatever to get a broad understanding of the plot, characters and major themes is a great place to start to base your understanding.

jmlet

HSC
N/A
Im doing king dick iii as well and imo, i think everyone in my skool has gotten used to it since we've been doing it since year 8.
Back then it was like WTF IS THIS GUY ON ABOUT
Now its like meh
LOOOOL class had a deep 30minute discussion on who was king henry and edward xD
GG hsc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)