• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do your parents approve? (1 Viewer)

Do your parents approve of your relationship?

• Yes

Votes: 46 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • They don't really care

Votes: 28 25.7%

• Total voters

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
ameh said:
I won't tell them ifI know they can't handle it.
Thats exactly how I felt with my bf. But he was persistant in telling me that they need to know( his folks already knew...kinda walked in on us kissing lol, they were cool with it). He didnt want me sneaking around to see him anymore and didnt want me to have to lie to them etc.

They were okay with it but NOW things are starting to get kinda weird. I do see my bfs P.O.V. though cos it would have got harder for me to sneak around. Its brought us closer. Like I said before to, Im 19 and hes 22. Theres nothing anyone can do about it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
im 18 and my parents think im read for a girl, they said find one too go out with that you're ready too marry. i havent given someone a blank stare for that long in my life after they told me that
even I think thats absurd!
Did that make sense to anyone?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Does anyone else's Asian parents like to blurt out private details of your life when another Asian family (plus daughter(s)) are present?

I suspect a troll's going to post "no" right after this so ignore that fuckwit.
No.

EDIT: Yes.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Does anyone else's Asian parents like to blurt out private details of your life when another Asian family (plus daughter(s)) are present?

Yeah. My parents tell everyone everything about my personal life, regardless of who it is and not just other Asian families. Its worse at Weddings.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Komaticom said:

Dude. Its not just Asians, my mum does it to and so do some other non-asian mums that I know.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Komaticom said:
Doesn't change anything.
Yes it does, because you were directing the question only towards asian parents, but its not the case JUST with asian families and it seems to exclude it from other groups and to 'point the finger' at a specific group.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
Project said:
Imagine a Greek and Asian couple... family disownage haha :p
i actually have half greek half asian cousins
they are soooo adorable!
+ SMART!
no disownage dude

my family doenst live in the stone ages of ancient times lol
i can bring home whatever natio, aslong as theyre christian ;)

HSC
i have rules of bringing hoem christian only, and even if those rules where not in place i'd still follow them. and at the same time there's nothing wrong with that

J

jhakka

I actually find it really weird that so many people's parents dont know about their kids' boy/girlfriends.

Not to say that it's wrong. I just find it unusual.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
Project said:
That's a new set of problems right there :rolleyes:

thats not a problem dude
and trust me, i accept my parents wishes
any other religion would just complicate things.

sorry if its upset anyone, but im sure some others might agree. =/

HSC
but it would, if either boy/girl are dedicated too their religion then conflict of interest would spark up. if you think they can just "get by" it then they are not really adhering to their religion

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
I actually find it really weird that so many people's parents dont know about their kids' boy/girlfriends.

Why?

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
im an aussie. straight out. not your typical bogan, but im an aussie.
dating a greek. my mum doesnt care. hers doesnt seem to either. her grandmother at first was hesitant, but because my best mates are greek and turkish, ive kinda been accepted into the culture, and i do my best to speak with her grandmother, who only speaks broken english. i do my best at broken greek, and we meet halfway.
the rest of her family dont seem to care too much (as far as i can tell), mainly because they're all second generation and have accepted the fact that greeks dont HAVE to date greeks.
my family on the other hand, really couldnt care. they're happy enough im dating. all my cousins (all of whom are older, like 30) love it, because i think they wana get in on the greek culture - the dancing, the plate smashing and everything.
so all in all, ive counted my blessings. im lucky to have found a greek girl that doesnt care im not greek, and have the majority of her family feel the same way.

HSC
N/A
jhakka said:

I guess it also depends on how close you are to your parents, as in emotionally close - whether you'd tell them whether you had a bad day or not, whether they're always there to listen to you when you need them etc, but also how much *you* feel you should tell them.

I guess there are some people out there who live quite independantly from their parents, even though they might live under the same roof, and vice versa.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
jhakka said:

If you knew my father you'd understand why lol

I have a very close relationship with my parents, but because of their outdated views on dating, it's very hard for me to tell them about my boyfriend or to bring him home. That said, I thought my mum would be ok, since she's like a best friend to me, yet she went ballistic when I told her who i was dating. It depends on the parents.

I would kill for understanding parents. Mine are control freaks.

mserica

HSC
Well... when i lived with the parents, they wouldnt know, i would say im going out with a guy and then if i wanted them to meet him i would.. but normally not cuase at that age its not always serious! (well not with me)

now i dont live at home and have a serious boyfriend, they met him after 6 months of dating! (though i met his parents after 2 months) so it completely depends on what the individual wants and if they think they are ready to introduce them to their parents.

Thats my thoughts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)