Do your parents approve? (2 Viewers)

Do your parents approve of your relationship?

• Yes

Votes: 46 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • They don't really care

Votes: 28 25.7%

• Total voters

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
A lot of people aren't ready for serious relationship. I'm heading into one now and it's freaking me out, that's why I often slow things down, because I want to enjoy it without all the seriousness of "i love you" and "let's be together forever". But Casmira, you don't need your parents to find you the girl of your dreams. I'm sure you're capable enough of trusting your own judgement. Like I said, I don't mind meeting people my mum introduces me to. I'm a friendly person, the more friends the merrier. But then again, you and I shouldn't be forced to date or not date someone they don't particularly like - considering my parent's reasoning for their dislike of my boyfriend is so incredibly stupid.

Casmira said:
the whole reason she sets you up with these sorta guys is because she doesnt want you too go through the same hardships as she has.
that i completely understand. I don't want to get married young, yet she's trying to set me up with boys who are 24+ who are ready to settle down. I ain't no good Greek girl who likes to cook and clean! lol My feet are too big to stand so close to the sink. Honestly, I'll settle down, but not at 19.

ujuphleg said:
I think this a good thing. I put up with a lot of shit from my parents and my friends are always saying, I don't know how you do it. But I see it as, they are my parents, and rightly or wrongly I respect what they say, especially as long as I continue to live for free under their roof. But when it comes to decisions which are important to my future like my degree, my choice of partner, a job perhaps or where I'll live, I won't have these things dictated to me.
I do agree. Which is why I often respect their curfew decisions, and a lot of other decisions they make. But at the same time we have to think about our own happiness.

HSC
grk_styl said:
A lot of people aren't ready for serious relationship. I'm heading into one now and it's freaking me out, that's why I often slow things down, because I want to enjoy it without all the seriousness of "i love you" and "let's be together forever". But Casmira, you don't need your parents to find you the girl of your dreams. I'm sure you're capable enough of trusting your own judgement. Like I said, I don't mind meeting people my mum introduces me to. I'm a friendly person, the more friends the merrier. But then again, you and I shouldn't be forced to date or not date someone they don't particularly like - considering my parent's reasoning for their dislike of my boyfriend is so incredibly stupid.
i do trust my own judgement, and i can usually see right through most girls for what they are. but by saying using my parents to find a girl, i mean the "family friends daughter"... because you usually find good girls like that; you know them through family, not meet them at a club (perhaps thats a generalisation).

what your parents think of your boyfriend is stupid, they want too think they are right who doesn't ? barely anyone likes too admit they are wrong, especially people in power

don't go assuming when you're married that you will be doing all the cooking men generally change this generation

Last edited:

Always

HSC
grk_styl said:
Unfortunately for my mother (fortunately for me), one of the guys she wanted me to date completely broke my heart and the other one seriously has issues. She bombed out twice. Meanwhile, because I know myself better than anyone, I've found the right guy for me.
That confirms it, we really must be long-lost sisters. :eek:

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
greek parents as well eh?
if i brought hope a leb girl, oh forget it id get shot maronite or not. i got a thing with aussies and my parents hate me for that
I don't understand this whole Greek/Leb thing! They're almost the same in terms of culture... although my dad would most probably kill me if I ever brought home a Greek boy (I'm Leb and he thinks Greek boys are dirty... or gay... well most are gay but there are those very few hot straight ones! :p). I think he'd also kill me if I ever brought home a Maronite (I'm Orthodox!). I am, of course, talking about the future... I can't imagine bringing home anyone at the moment (parents think I'm too young... I think... I've never dared to ask! It's something we never talk about). I don't go for fully-sick-bro-habibs, so it eliminates quite a lot of Lebs for me!

Actually I can see the problem between Orthodox and Maronite (re: snickerdoodle and her Maronite bf and organising the Christenings and stuff). The Maronites think they're all that and that Orthodox aren't as Christian as them, but really Maronites stem from Orthodox tradition!

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
you must be my long-lost sister, and we share the same mum :p

Unfortunately for my mother (fortunately for me), one of the guys she wanted me to date completely broke my heart and the other one seriously has issues. She bombed out twice. Meanwhile, because I know myself better than anyone, I've found the right guy for me.
My mum told me that she would hate the idea of setting me up with someone, and she has had women hinting to her that they want their sons to date me, but she just ignores it because she thinks it's wrong (and I thank her for that). However, I don't believe her because she wants to set my brother up with either one of my friends or one of our family friends' daughters!

grk_styl said:
I'm quite happy to meet people through proxy, because I know it's in my best interest, but my parents shouldn't expect me to date these guys. Like I said before, some of them are so dodgy. They act like Good Greek Boys on the outside, and deep down they're either players or they're mummy's boys who can't think for themselves.
haha reminds me of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"... where the guys were just... wrong... greasy, ugly, sleazy or mummy's boy!

HSC
tres bien said:
I don't understand this whole Greek/Leb thing! They're almost the same in terms of culture... although my dad would most probably kill me if I ever brought home a Greek boy (I'm Leb and he thinks Greek boys are dirty... or gay... well most are gay but there are those very few hot straight ones! :p). I think he'd also kill me if I ever brought home a Maronite (I'm Orthodox!). I am, of course, talking about the future... I can't imagine bringing home anyone at the moment (parents think I'm too young... I think... I've never dared to ask! It's something we never talk about). I don't go for fully-sick-bro-habibs, so it eliminates quite a lot of Lebs for me!

Actually I can see the problem between Orthodox and Maronite (re: snickerdoodle and her Maronite bf and organising the Christenings and stuff). The Maronites think they're all that and that Orthodox aren't as Christian as them, but really Maronites stem from Orthodox tradition!
greeks and lebs are very different. let me draw one distinction; one is arabic the other isn't, culture? maybe, alot of countries that have had a civil war are very similar in terms of culture, overprotective, racist, generalistic, paranoid parents because they have likely too seen their friends/family killed so can you blame them

if you want me too start generalising races then we can work on the "Rapist, disrespectful too anything, cowards" halo that glows around alot of leb guys; difference being its more apparent because we saw it on the news.

Last edited:

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
greeks and lebs are very different. let me draw one distinction; one is arabic the other isn't, culture? maybe, alot of countries that have had a civil war are very similar in terms of culture, overprotective, racist, generalistic, paranoid parents because they have likely too seen their friends/family killed so can you blame them
Key word: almost. I said almost the same.

HSC
let me further validate my point, countries that have experienced civil wars share this culture. so you can also say we're similar too ukraine, and some random slavic countries that anexx eachother every 6 months

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
tres bien said:
Nah, it's not that big of a problem because he's not religious, lol. I asked him what religion he was and I swear he had to find out from his mum. I know christening my kids in a Greek Orthodox church is something my mother in particular wants desperately, so we've discussed that in the future (way way in the future) if we do end up together he'd be fine with that. His mother has 3 other kids whereas I'm an only child, so basically I'm my mum's only hope lol. She's said herself though that if i's meant to be between my and my bf she'd be ecstatic to just have grandkids either way.

Of course I'm we're only 18 so who knows what will happen. I'm not fussed at all though, I'm loving just beign with him now in the moment, regardless of how our parent's feel...because it's not their life. It's about us, me and him only. The sooner everyone accepts this (i.e. my mum and dad), the better. I'm happy :).

helsie

HSC
Casmira said:
the whole reason she sets you up with these sorta guys is because she doesnt want you too go through the same hardships as she has. personality and character is purely based upon you, she wants you too make judgement.

you know my parents kept trying too push me into all sorts of girls that go too church i said no ill find one myself, i go out and i found all sorts of girls that are not 100% in the head and can see the point my parents made. dont get me wrong ive only been looking for a few months, but i saw their point of "most of them aren't ready for a serious relationship" ... because alot of the girls i meet admit too that, dont know how it leaks into the conversation but its true none the less. they also lack serious respect for themselves, though i am not one too judge but nonetheless these sorta qualities i want + been drilled into me.

i have compulsion too go with some wild girl because thats totally opposite of me but then i realise consequences, she could get me hooked onto smoking, drinking, drugs ... remember it all starts with 1 bottle, 1 cigarette, 1 tablet. i know i might be re-repeating what my parents say and you might say mummies boy; but its ultimatley true. pack a day smokers didnt start on a pack a day, they bummed 1 cigarette here and their and the addiction built ... i dont know how that made it into my post :D
hmmm... i might know how :D

Oddy Nocki

HSC
N/A
Every time I date a new girl and my mum find out we have the same conversation.

Mum "You're not just using her, are you?"

Me "Yeah"

"WHAT?"

Me "Yes i am using her, because my entire world revolves around lying and miniplulating people. In fact I should tell about the thing with her sister and I"

"You're taking the piss aren't you?"

"Yep"

crazychic143566

HSC
lol my parents approve of my realtionship ... my mum loves him and gave him $75 for his bday, and my dad well he doenst say anything mean and they have talks once and a while (bout motorbikes no doubt!) lol so yea they approve

crazychic143566

HSC
lol yea my parents approve of my relationship, my mum gave him $75 for his bday and my dad well he doenst say anything mean and they talk once in a blue moon (about motorbikes no doubt!) lol so yeah they approve

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
jhakka said:
I actually find it really weird that so many people's parents dont know about their kids' boy/girlfriends.

Not to say that it's wrong. I just find it unusual.
My friend from uni has been with his gf since year 8. They are both indian and both their parents don't know about their relationship...

dodgyfilokid

HSC
my parents especially my mum dont approve of me gettin into a relationship let alone having one considerin that shes a strict filipino mum..my stepdad kinda refuses to recognise d friendships i hav wit girls while my real dad who's also a philo dusnt mind me gettin into relationships as long as it dusnt bother my studies and work

Bendent

HSC
grk_styl said:
Ok so I know this topic has been done before but I wanted to get a poll done and to see the general consensus on whether your parents approve of your relationship. It's been bugging me for awhile now that I'm in a relationship which my parents disapprove of and I've also heard of similar stories lately.

So! Pick an option on the poll!

edit: i'll go first...my parents don't approve. I don't particularly know why. Well, actually, I do know why. But their reasoning is so pathetic that I often forget why
the best way to deal with this kind of situation is listen to what they have to disapprove about? do the points they make make you better off if you hadnt been in the relationship do you think or with another type of person? or are they just irrational reasons etc. in the end you make your decision based on/not based on your parents' 'advice' because it's your life, regardless of the consequences.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)