• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Alright, this might seem like an odd place to be putting this, but I can't think of anywhere better for it to go.

As some of you probably know, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails recently released albums online for free. But they're not the only ones to have done it: during the recent writers' strike in Hollywood, Joss Whedon, the man behind Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly and a slew of films that he's been largely uncredited for (you've probably seen at least one: Toy Story, Speed and Alien Resurrection; plus, he's been script doctor on he likes of Twister and Waterworld, both of which he has disowned) - and to me, one of the world's best writers - has thrown his hat into the ring with his brothers Zack and Jed and thewife of one of them (can't remember which) and has created Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

Act One of three parts has been uploaded, and it's completely free to watch. Now I know advertising is banned around here, and I'm certainly not doing that because I think this warrants a discussion. This isn't some slap-together job that was done in Whedon's backyard (which was the original plan): it's a full production featuring Neil Patrick Harris of How I Met Your Mother fame as the titular Doctor Horrible, a shy geek with designs on world domination; Felicty Day as Penny, the girl at the dry cleaner's who he has a crush on but just can't bring himself to talk to; and Firefly alumni Nathan Fillion as Captain Hammer (or, "Captain Hammer, corporate tool"), his not-too-bright arch nemesis. So you can see, they've got serious actors doing this, and while it will ultimately be released on DVD, it's free to watch an download online.

So, is this a revolution in entertainment? Whedon certainly seems to think so, and he has said he'd like to do more of it in the future. The project was born out of the writers' strike and is a direct response to it; I gather the strike was related to the internet as a medium for television to be broadcast, what with the rise of YouTube and file-sharing networks. Will other writers and production companies embrace it as a means of expression, or is it doomed to failure?

My ownself can't pass judgement on it for now; I'll have to wait and see what the reaction is to the complete story. But for now, it's ust plain good fun.

sprstvn

HSC
I freakin' LOVE Dr. Horrible, I've been obsessed with it for heaps long, I'm listening to the album right now xD

DanteEX

HSC
Old News is Old...

Seriously didn't this come out like 9 Months ago?

But yea it was Awesome.... 9 months ago

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
Old News is Old...

Seriously didn't this come out like 9 Months ago?

But yea it was Awesome.... 9 months ago
if you're talking about OP then yea they posted it about 9 months ago lol. but what a fun bump.

DanteEX

HSC
Apparently they just about to make Part 2 soon, I think Josh Wheldon has finished the script or something. Bathan Fillion said something along those lines in a online interview lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)