does a UTS degree disadvantage you in the workplace? (1 Viewer)

hussk

HSC
Hey guys,
im a bit worried at all this talk in other threads about a degree from UTS not even being considered for front desk positions in areas such as investment banking and HR.

i just want to get ur thoughts on this issue, thanks.

Last edited:

mismatch

HSC
Over 60% UTS Business students are employed in the industry already.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Musk said:
how about you ask someone who works in the industry themselves?
I agree with this. All you'll get here is: "A friend of a friend told me that..."; which simply should not to be believed unless you've heard it from someone who works in IB or recruits IB graduates.

Last edited:

maka

HSC
HR degrees from UTS are great.

They are accredited by the Australian HR Institute.

All UTS Business degrees have some American accreditation by meeting high academic standards

gracie007

HSC
who cares, im sure if you are good enough people will hire you. i know first hand several people close to me (inc. my dad) who didnt even do a degree in anything business related and are highly successful. it all comes down to talent, attitude and skill. sure u can get a massive head start doing a degree but its not the be all and end all

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
hussk said:
Hey guys,
im a bit worried at all this talk in other threads about a degree from UTS not even being considered for front desk positions in areas such as investment banking and HR.

i just want to get ur thoughts on this issue, thanks.
The main issue is that the other universities are more competitive in attracting the better candidates. UTS has its stars in law and part-time accounting cadets, but those from UNSW and USyd are clearly a cut above those at UTS (in terms of quality and quantity). Also, these lawyers/cadets at UTS would definitely have went to UNSW/USyd if they weren't short of a few UAI points for law/want to study accounting somewhere convenient and close to work.

Also, it's not about the ease/difficulty of the degree content, it's more about rank within the cohort since the distribution of marks can be easily adjusted, and in the end recruiters can tell how good you by comparing marks with other students doing the same degree or in different degrees and compensating accordingly. The relatively high UAI for the generic Commerce degree at UNSW is testament to the fact that it tends to attract brighter people.

pungpui

HSC
its all bullshit. ive just graduated B Bus major accounting and finance...ive been working at macquarie group for 3 years and am going in as a full time graduate. was also offered numerous other grad positions at other global IB's but chose macquarie coz i was able to get a grad role tailored to my wants.

uts all the way

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol

hussk
if you really do want front office, come to UNSW ;) USYD is just as good

uts = autobanned/resume in bin :D :D

truper

HSC
This goes to any universities- if you study hard and achieve great results, it doesn't matter. Same thing goes for schools as well.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
thats absolute bull...

most employers don't care about your marks
Maybe try applying for a competitive graduate job instead of Maccas to see the importance of marks ^_^

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
yeah cause they marks really determine whether you get the job or not

personality compatibility, attitude etc. > marks
You'd be surprised.

We live in the age of subjecting generation yers to all the pressure in the world expecting them to be outgoing and personable geniuses ready to fit into the dynamic of any workplace.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
lol wtf are you talking about??? :lol:
Essence: when you said marks were not important you were talking crap:lol:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
If the importance of marks ended with the HSC the world would be wonderful right now

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
no most of the CEO's of many organisations would say marks wouldn't matter. (read it in a book) :lol:
Because CEO's do graduate hiring.

I'm sure you know all about the world having graduated from highschool recently but there's much more to the world than what you know. If you read books concerning CEO's preferable qualities for a job you would have understood what I said before but you didn't. ^_^

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
to a few HR managers it does
I'm no science team but I doubt Mallesons would call anyone back for an interview with a pass average when there's 400 dedicated applicants all on D/HD's.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
but generally they do not ask for your transcript
lol yes they do.

Do they also not check that you're registered to practice?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
registered to practice is different to marks
Yeah but I'm free to say the most farfetched things ever now. You gave me license to when you said marks weren't important and top tier law firms don't even look at transcripts.

is a roflcopter
HSC
is this what uts tells its students? that employers dont look at transcripts? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)