Does anyone actually do the "Australia" option for National Studies or section IV? (1 Viewer)

LachyLane

HSC
I see on the past Modern HSC papers that always have so many countries. Also, from board of studies arc (sample essays) i've seen answers from weird topics and rare topics from J Edgar Hoover to American cultural life and Indonesia, but i've never come across an "Australia" essay.

I've always noticed for Section II and IV there's always an "Australia" option? I remember how painful year 10 Aussie history was :/ so boring and everyone hated it, and so did the teachers. Also correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Jack Lang in the personality choices? Usually the questions are about Communism, maybe Gough Whitlam i'm guessing? (the only remotely interesting thing) and the Labour party split?

My question is, does or did* (for hsc students now like me) you study it? Or did any schools you no of? It seems like the most popular choices are Germany and Russia! I'm just curious to know the statistics of everything, link me if there is one :p

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Does anyone actually do the "Australia" option for National Studies or section IV

Yes some kids do do it - for two reasons - they think they can remember it from Years 9 and 10 but also one or two schools that concentrate on teaching new migrants also do it to teach them some Australian History.

In 2009 about 3% of the state did India, Japan, Indonesia and Australia combined.

LachyLane

HSC
Re: Does anyone actually do the "Australia" option for National Studies or section IV

Yes some kids do do it - for two reasons - they think they can remember it from Years 9 and 10 but also one or two schools that concentrate on teaching new migrants also do it to teach them some Australian History.

In 2009 about 3% of the state did India, Japan, Indonesia and Australia combined.

Really? What else do you know about it? Is there a history topic statistics sheet? Also, i can understand Japan as a choice, maybe not India, but i don't think i've ever seen ANY notes at all for kids doing Australia. Lol that must suck.

Beeck

HSC

If you get onto the mrkers comments for past papers there will be a rough guide of hoe many people did what topics. Doing Australia opyions is pretty common the least popular toic is Anglo Irish relations in section 4 my school is practicall the only one in the state to do it:spin:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Really? What else do you know about it? Is there a history topic statistics sheet? Also, i can understand Japan as a choice, maybe not India, but i don't think i've ever seen ANY notes at all for kids doing Australia. Lol that must suck.
The notes from the marking centre often give the statistics but we are also often given them at the actual marking centre - at least unofficially by hearing what other markers are saying about the number that they have to mark of a particular section.

LachyLane

HSC

The notes from the marking centre often give the statistics but we are also often given them at the actual marking centre - at least unofficially by hearing what other markers are saying about the number that they have to mark of a particular section.
Woah are you a teacher? That's interesting though. Btw, if you were a Modern History HSC marker - would you have to know ALL the topics? That would include the obscure countries like India, Australia and Ireland. I hear they get an exemplar essay or a sheet with points addressing everything, but i'm just curious. Thanks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Woah are you a teacher? That's interesting though. Btw, if you were a Modern History HSC marker - would you have to know ALL the topics? That would include the obscure countries like India, Australia and Ireland. I hear they get an exemplar essay or a sheet with points addressing everything, but i'm just curious. Thanks.

I am a Modern History marker and no we don't have to know all the topics. When we apply we indicate the topics that we currently teach and any others we may be ok to mark. Once we are at marking we are in groups usually starting with the topic about which we are most comfortable but with some of the smaller topics we may need some more guidance as to what to expect from summary sheets etc. The same standards are applied across all questions however.

gardinerj

HSC

I did Australia for my National Study and the great Australian figure Doc Evatt as my personality. Although there were few notes on such topics a great teacher and an abundance of primary historical sources enabled me to get an in depth understanding of the topic.

To me having only a few people doing the topic means that there is less competition. Less competition obviously means a greater chance of getting a good mark. Anyway, we will see how that theory has gone come December 14th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)