does anyone know why im just plain bad with makeup? (1 Viewer)

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
shortstraw999 said:
in reply to liz :) - i heard liquid foundation is a lot harder to smooth out and make consistent across your face (and ive got two left hands), so im using a matte mousse/whipped cream foundation. i saw a makeup artist's vid where she used triangular sponges, n lo and behold! i found a pack labelled exactly "triangular foundation sponges"! it makes foundation look totally inconsistent tho :S so lately ive been using just fingers

im not really sure if my skin is oily/combination/dry.. my skin becomes dry really quickly in the shower, so it may be dry.. but when i go out, by the afternoon my face is all oily, so it may be oily.. i heard that if u have dry skin, going out dries ur face out even more so ur skin goes oily to compensate, so i bought a simple moisturiser and i wear it before going out (often without makeup), but my forehead still goes oil by afternoon :S so maybe i'll ask the myer ladies to give me an assessment..

ur idea abt the matte sounds right, it always Does look flaky.. i'll be raiding my bank balance again next week i suppose :)
Yeah, sounds like combination skin. I'm a bit that way myself, and I use the revlon colourstay as well. It stays pretty well, and I use a foundation sponge (latex) to apply it. I put the foundation onto the sponge an apply from there. I also put a translucent powder over the top. With translucent powders, get a loose one, with a powder puff or brush.

Colourstay comes in 2 kinds, dry skin (red lid) and oily/combination skin (black lid)
Wherever you go to buy it should have a cosmetician at least, so ask them for help with shades, if you have trouble with them. Sometimes they'll be happy to give you small samples of a couple of colours if you're not sure on shades.

Lastly, DON'T BE SHY. The cosmetics girls are there to help, and just because they know makeup doesn't mean they're scary. Ask them for help, they'll most likely know an answer, but don't let them bully you into buying something you don't want/need/use.

kaylz

HSC
to avoid caking, mix yer foundation with MAC strobe cream. holy shit, they should be paying me.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
prishika said:
dont buy makeup from the supermarket -- its invariably crappy. try MAC hyperreal foundation -- it's very light and doesnt end up looking cakey or like it's skin flaking off. Its' also not that expensive - like around 60 dollars for a bottle. Pick something with a good rep and invest in it.

Fuck MAC, I'm boycotting that product ever since Fergie became the face for MAC products. That meth addict :mad:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Fuck MAC, I'm boycotting that product ever since Fergie became the face for MAC products. That meth addict :mad:
lol

60 bucks is a bit steep for foundation imo. unless someone else is paying for it :eek: most i've ever spent myself is about 30-35 bucks and i never even used it that much.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
shortstraw999 said:
im 18 and ive finally decided dark eye circles+ red bags need to go.. (yes im a bit of a latecomer but my parents are pretty strict and entirely against makeup)

i empty 100 dollars at the supermarket and buy covergirl matte foundation (a light and a dark shade so i can mix them to get my face's colour), brown undereye concealer ( i was told yellow and green concealers counteract colours better.. but no one seemed to really use them) , powder, a brush etc...

when it finally comes down to the practicals however, im at a total loss :( i dont get it! its meant to be so easy!

with foundation : it looks flaky on my skin, or matt - ed, as in, like a mat.. it doesnt look smooth and like natural skin.. with concealer, the redness under my eyes fade slightly but its still very clear and distinct.. my dark circles look even starker against my skin..

ive seen tons of girls cover up their under eye circles completely, and i really really want to be do that as well :( does anyone know wat im doing wrong? is it technique/ brand? (i admit i was a bit cheap in choosing just covergirl and maybelline :D but i Was buying all my makeup in one go)

o and, has anyone been at this stage and progressed past it? pls give me some inspiration ^^

Thanks!!! any advice would be much appreciated, sorry for the very wordy post :)

The first thing is to get the RIGHT make up for your skin tone, you don't want to get make up that's 5 shades darker than you, lol. Also when you wear make up, do it where there's a lot of light, not where it's dim or dark, because you probably think you look good in the mirror but when you go outdoors your make up colour can look completely different. Oh and no one is perfect when it comes to wearing makeup, some look like clay clowns and some look like drags.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
Colour match your foundation along your jawline, not on your cheeks.

And I agree with doris, 60 is expensive for foundation, specially if you wear it every day (like me). 30 bucks for revlon is plenty.

shortstraw999

HSC
thanks for your replies guys!!! ^^

armed with a larger arsenal of makeup knowledge, i went to myer to get them to match my skin colour, and i was recommended the clinique lady. however, she kept telling me my makeup looked great, and completely ignored how weird it looked.. it took a while before i managed to convince her that the flakiness was obvious, and my eye circles were still quite visible. she explained that i didnt cleanse properly which is why even liquid foundation was flaky, so im trying out their 3 step program for a week or so before i try makeup again..

so im just wondering, is it true that no one in real life can actually erase all their eye circles and redness with makeup? how much is makeup supposed to actually improve your look?

and why are shop assistants so persistent and overly assertive?

yeah 60 Is steep :p

thanks everyone!!

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
lol, you have to be pushy to be a myer makeup girl. You basically have to add-on sell extra products.

As for the eye circle problem, there are cosmetic products that are supposed to help out with them. Clarins have one, and there's another I don't remember the name of, it might be Beautician's Secret or something similar.

You can always talk to a pharmacist about that kind of stuff too, or a dermatologist if its really worrying you. But I used to work in a pharmacy and believe me, it wouldn't be the weirdest thing someone's asked for help with :p

bassistx

HSC
I agree with Boris. I use liquid foundation then powder on my T-zone. It seals it in and I've always had bad luck with mousses so it works for me this way.
No face is perfect without blush or bronzer (personally, I prefer bronzer).

My problem is mascara. I've got naturally long lashes (and I mean like an inch!) and I can't apply any mascara without looking like a drag queen so I avoid it altogether. Isn't there one that doesn't extend your lashes, but just makes them thicker?

I don't want to use CG, L'Oreal, or MAC, or Maybelline because they test on animals lol. Revlon is fine and Rimmel, I think.
Any suggestions? I don't want to use fake lashes. Blegh.

EDIT: Try not to put too much make-up (concealers, etc) around your eyes because that place doesn't breathe... That's why you need special moisturizers for that area.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
bassistx said:
I don't want to use CG, L'Oreal, or MAC, or Maybelline because they test on animals lol. Revlon is fine and Rimmel, I think.
Any suggestions? I don't want to use fake lashes. Blegh.
mac doesnt test on animals, its owned by estee lauder who never tests on animals.

however, i think the best mascara for thickening is by max factor, called 2000 calorie lash, its really thickening.

i use lash injection by too faced, and love it. diorshow is also awesome.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
most brushes are animal hair.

do you wear wool? because thats cut off sheep. they dont kill the squirrels/goats/badgers for their fur, they're farmed, just like sheep.

and they're actually pretty comitted to animal rights, but if you have a problem with their brushes, dont buy the brushes...

theres a really good mascara by too faced, called lash injection.

bassistx

HSC
AlleyCat said:
most brushes are animal hair.

do you wear wool? because thats cut off sheep. they dont kill the squirrels/goats/badgers for their fur, they're farmed, just like sheep.

and they're actually pretty comitted to animal rights, but if you have a problem with their brushes, dont buy the brushes...

theres a really good mascara by too faced, called lash injection.
Nope, don't wear wool.... Read up on mulesing.
Can I see a pic of the brush? For that Lash Injection mascara, I mean..

bassistx

HSC
I went to their site... It's American though?
Where can I buy it in Aus? And not online either.. In store.
They don't test on animals, right? lol Sorry, I don't remember.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
bassistx said:
I went to their site... It's American though?
Where can I buy it in Aus? And not online either.. In store.
They don't test on animals, right? lol Sorry, I don't remember.
they dont test. you can buy too faced at kit stores, theres one in chatswood myer, one in sydney city myer and a store in paddington.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)