Does anyone like English? (1 Viewer)

pravski

HSC
Honestly,

Does anyone at all actually enjoy learning or studying English?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh, i find some of the content interesting.....

Ive now learnt how to effectively play with power. (Could help if i go into politics; or even in everyday life)

But beyond the philosphical teachings ect of the modules, it is a bit tedious

I hated jounreys, nothing deep about it at all. But that'll be all over in 6 days :D

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pravski said:
Honestly,

Does anyone at all actually enjoy learning or studying English?
Yes, I enjoy studying English - I think there are flaws in the courses but I have overall enjoyed it. My favourite parts of Advanced were King Lear and its critical theories, not to mention all the gags in Frontline as well as the analysis of the media made it a far more enjoyable endeavour then expected. Extension 1 English also was pretty good, especially with the set text Real Inspector Hound which I got to see performed at UNSW(absolutely amazing, and soooo funny!), Extension 1 also allowed me to be far more opinionated in my essays which is something that was sorely lacking in Journeys. And Extension 2 English while being one of the most back breaking (and embarassing) works in my life, allowed me to make up my own wacky ideas and pursue them as I saw fit, and for most of the course that was a pleasure. What I love most though, is the fact that I can see how much I've learned from the experience. So without a doubt, I say English is tops :cool:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Journey is ok except I'm so over it now...
advanced english is boring :(

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I love all of the 3 English Advanced modules, AOS is almost too vague that all points I make in it seem to be all hearsay and conjecture and don't have anything solid to say. But yeah, I did 4 units of English this year and I'm honestly not sick of it... truth be told, I had great texts:

Brave New World
Blade Runner
Frontline
The Real Inspector Hound

plus I love all my related texs..
Sin City
The Shawshank Redemption
Catch me if You can
The importance of being Earnest..

they're all up there with my favourites. So that makes it easy to write about and enjoyable.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I loathe English with a passion.
I am a fan of the maths & science where theres one answer and one answer only.
English you could write just about anything, pass it off as your opinion, and you'd be right.
I don't consider it a subject, but thats just my opinion.

khoshgelleh

I am currently LOATHING ENGLISH .
I think it sux all the fun out of the texts whether it be a peom or a film.

But i used to like it , i think its more interesting in junior years

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
While Advanced English does not allow for the same scope of creativity as say EE1 and EE2, I enjoy it. I had a great teacher, and did great texts so i'm deffinetly looking forward to the Modules exam. AOS should be some fun times too.

P

pLuvia

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But overall, the liking is higher than the dislike ;)

trysto

HSC
I HATE English with a passion from the depths of my soul

What i hate, is i think of some completly different meaning to one of Wilfred Owen's poems, it makes sense i can prove it using techniques and my teacher says no that is wrong.....

HOW CAN IT BE WRONG? GA it annoys me....Give me a computer and i will fix it,it annoys me...

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
AOS, Module A, Module B ... not bad, im not going to go so far as to say I "like" english, but they weren't as bad as Module C :p .. took me up until a few days ago to get a good grasp on it

roxy_chick

HSC
I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!! why do they make us do it....its aweful....i cant wait till next week is over so i can burn my english notes.... i never want to see bladerunner, brave new world, frontline, king lear or and of the samuel taylor coleridges texts EVER AGAIN!!!

Haku

glad to see so many people loathe english. english is the worst subject ever, i would rather do my chemistry exams three times rather than do any english paper. just want to get it over and done with.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
LostAuzzie said:
I loathe English with a passion.
I am a fan of the maths & science where theres one answer and one answer only.
English you could write just about anything, pass it off as your opinion, and you'd be right.
I don't consider it a subject, but thats just my opinion.
i always thought that was what was most boring about maths --> there's no sense of achievement in getting an answer as the steps are logical progression that anyone can be taught to follow. There's no sense of individualism as there is in english. As for science, once you get past high school level you'll find that it isn't always a case of jst one answer to on question, but some quite conceptual work.

niall045

HSC
everything i have ever tried in english has failed. in the trials i had everything prepared, notes ready & memorised and whatnot, but i only scraped through. My friend decided to read over a few notes the night before n topped our class. i find english frustrating for that. No matter what i do it doesnt work. I still like the subject matter, all the material we use is interesting (except for journeys argh). I dont like english as a subject though.

With maths i can work through an answer, do about 2 pages of working and when you get the answer you have the satisfaction that you KNOW that you have it exactly right. In english you are never sure of anything until you have received the paper and the teacher has talked with you about your results.

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
Trust me silvermoon...some concepts in mathematics are very very difficult to understand, not many people can appreciate them...so there is in fact a sense of achievement when you do. And maths often requires a high level of creativity in order to tackle problems...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)