Does anyone like English? (1 Viewer)

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Despite the English syllabus being fucked up...
and the over - deconstruction of texts
its okay :\

LostAuzzie

HSC
silvermoon said:
As for science, once you get past high school level you'll find that it isn't always a case of jst one answer to on question, but some quite conceptual work.
That's the part of it im looking forward to the most, applying concepts to varied questions. However Science is never gonna be any answer is the right answer as English is, well no science ill be studying anyway ;)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For me it depends.
If the text is actually quite interesting, then I would enjoy it, but if it is downright boring with some postmodernist language, then I hate it to bits.
Same goes for teacher. If the teacher just talks and talks forever or has no idea what he/she is on about, it's as boring as hell. However, if there is a teacher who can communicate effectively to the class and speak in the same language as the class plus knows what he or she is talking about, then it gets interesting.

nwatts

HSC
LostAuzzie said:
That's the part of it im looking forward to the most, applying concepts to varied questions. However Science is never gonna be any answer is the right answer as English is, well no science ill be studying anyway ;)
That's what's so great about English!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I think english can be summed up by: &#$%^$#@!!!!

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Jago said:
I think english can be summed up by: &#$%^$#@!!!!
Either that or this:

I adore Shakespeare and poetry. But I hate studying it.

That's why I don't have to do 2u ^___^

3 and 4u are completly different stories, though.

HSC
the only thing I like about english is creative writing, images and wilfred owen war poetry, i hate the rest with a passion :(

PiGMAN

HSC
English is horrible. That said, in future life, I will be glad that I studied shakespeare, because it will do me such great service. I'd love someone to explain why English is compulsory, and Mathematics isn't, I'm not saying English shouldn't be compulsory... but it's asif more importance is placed on it. What's the deal?

aciasche

Mar 21, 2004
HSC
Hell No!!!!!!

Maths is the way to go!!

If u love English then stick it in ur fro yo!

Hahaha

But srsly, i can't stand english. Never any assurance with marks and so forth. At least you half know if you bombed a maths question.

7th Sign

HSC
i dont mind english...I dont really like maths but i would much rather do some english then do maths :D

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Vampire said:
Trust me silvermoon...some concepts in mathematics are very very difficult to understand, not many people can appreciate them...so there is in fact a sense of achievement when you do. And maths often requires a high level of creativity in order to tackle problems...
no, i cant say i agree. even ext2 maths....*whinges bout numbers that aren't real*...it's not the same: the 'creativity' is working out the best way to tackle the problem to answer it, but, at the end of the day, there's still only one right and one wrong answer, there's not much room for individualism

nwatts

HSC
Go you good silvermoon!

Yeah, I agree. Maths = deathly boring and so limiting.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I beg to differ but thats probably got to do with my loathing of English in all its forms.
Sure maths is repetitive but every question is different so it isnt just doing the same thing over and over again.
There may be only one right answer, in most cases, but there's a multitude of wrong ones ;)
We could argue this all day long, you have your views I have mine niether of us is right or wrong.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
but thew mistake people make is to think that there are no right or wrong answers in english, that it's all just opinion. this isn't true: it's more complex. the degree to which your answer is 'right' is directly proportional to the technical evidence you can locate, explain and synthesise with others. the conceptual framework, your thesis, shows individualism in the way in which you interpret the technical framework you've established.

but, you're right, neither of us is going to back down on this, so it's best just to agree to disagree i think

香港!

HSC
silvermoon said:
no, i cant say i agree. even ext2 maths....*whinges bout numbers that aren't real*...it's not the same: the 'creativity' is working out the best way to tackle the problem to answer it, but, at the end of the day, there's still only one right and one wrong answer, there's not much room for individualism
some q's can be interpreted in different ways, and there CAN be more than one right or wrong answer... especially in things like integration where you choose various ways to do questions and have answers that look completely different

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
yes, but in many cases although the answers make look different they are either:
a) actually the same and only superficially different or
b) there are only a set number of answers that can be considered correct and only a set amount of ways to correctly obtain those answers. You have to remember that with HSC maths it's the process you are marked mainly on, not the answer. if you answer a question worth 4 marks and you get the right answer but do it the wrong way you're looking at 1 mark out of 4, even though your answer is correct.

....this is turning into a maths thread. nooo!

redw0lf

A Member
HSC
I hate AoS and Transformations.
Those sections are just full of ****
Critical study and Telling the truth are bearable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)