Does anyone write poetry? (1 Viewer)

K

Krazi-tekkaz

I got to a point towards the end of last year where i found myself really depressed/stressed/unhappy and found it helpful to write poetry as a release.

I got a couple that I'm happy with, but might share them later. However was just curious if anyone else has wrote any poetry?

bassistx

HSC
Krazi-tekkaz said:
I got to a point towards the end of last year where i found myself really depressed/stressed/unhappy and found it helpful to write poetry as a release.
Agree. It's good.

Haven't written anything since.... Since I was 15? 14? I don't know. 2 years at least. You just lose your erm...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I do.

Not in the "I'm really upset and as such need to vent a lot of random crap" way, though that's certainly valid. More in the "I'm an elitist fuck who is doing a Creative Writing major and writes poetry that is less about emotion and more about language".

I call the former "private poetry" and the latter "public poetry".

HSC
I do sometimes, usually to pass the time. Not much I would consider showing anyone though.

K

Krazi-tekkaz

Tulipa said:
I do.

Not in the "I'm really upset and as such need to vent a lot of random crap" way, though that's certainly valid. More in the "I'm an elitist fuck who is doing a Creative Writing major and writes poetry that is less about emotion and more about language".

I call the former "private poetry" and the latter "public poetry".
LOL show us some of your work...
I totally agree about the private and public poetry

Dundasbro

HSC
On occasion, it can help at times. Not that it's all whiney crap, most of the time it is somewhat upbeat. Though I will always delete or destroy it later, no matter how good I think it might be. Like you said, private poetry.

turmionkat

HSC
yeah i love writing poetry. I can sometimes randomly think up like 3 stanzas to a poem in the time it takes to go to the bathroom :) but alas, as quickly as it comes, it's gone again :(

turmionkat

HSC
Speaking of writing poetry, how does this little stanza sound?

She was ablaze with angelic fire,
I was in the pits, coated in mire.
With her Perfection, she set me free,
No longer in this pit, I can finally be.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
turmionkat said:

Blah rhyme scheme. If you're a beginner with poetry, avoid rhyming. Perfection is a pretty bland adjective and doesn't really give us a clear image. The image of 'angelic fire' is pretty trite as well. The repetition of "pit/s" is also quite vague.

It'd be more interesting if you expanded it and added to the imagery to make it more vivid and less abstract. Right now it's a bland image without any concrete ideas or images holding it down.

EDIT: Actually, to be honest, it sounds like a lot of teenage, angsty poetry. Not as bad as some but it's got the same tone.

Last edited:

turmionkat

HSC
Tulipa said:
Blah rhyme scheme. If you're a beginner with poetry, avoid rhyming. Perfection is a pretty bland adjective and doesn't really give us a clear image. The image of 'angelic fire' is pretty trite as well. The repetition of "pit/s" is also quite vague.

It'd be more interesting if you expanded it and added to the imagery to make it more vivid and less abstract. Right now it's a bland image without any concrete ideas or images holding it down.

EDIT: Actually, to be honest, it sounds like a lot of teenage, angsty poetry. Not as bad as some but it's got the same tone.
Wow thanks for the feedback. i like using rhyme in my poetry, for me it just feels right, i really just like how it all flows. Yeah i was going to add alot more imagery but the words stopped coming. Ah well I suppose its going to be a work in progess. i'll agree with the teenage angsty poetry part. i'll fix it good.

Not too bad though cause i kinda thought of it whilst i was half asleep :)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
turmionkat said:
Wow thanks for the feedback. i like using rhyme in my poetry, for me it just feels right, i really just like how it all flows. Yeah i was going to add alot more imagery but the words stopped coming. Ah well I suppose its going to be a work in progess. i'll agree with the teenage angsty poetry part. i'll fix it good.

Not too bad though cause i kinda thought of it whilst i was half asleep :)
Sometimes rhyming is a good thing but you really need to work at it. It's all about beat, meter and keeping it even and consistent. In that piece, it's a bit more messy than cohesive.

Also, edit your work. Don't write a whole piece and think it's finished. Editing and refining poetry is about 90% of creating a poem.

turmionkat

HSC
theshortykatt said:
in my head, but it never seems to get to paper though... usually forget it.. or never have the right situation to use it..
Yeah i get the same thing :) its really really annoying especially if you actually think up something real good.

turmionkat

HSC
Tulipa said:
Sometimes rhyming is a good thing but you really need to work at it. It's all about beat, meter and keeping it even and consistent. In that piece, it's a bit more messy than cohesive.

Also, edit your work. Don't write a whole piece and think it's finished. Editing and refining poetry is about 90% of creating a poem.
yeah i agree with the refining and editing a poem. i'd call that a concept draft. I really need to practice writing in a cohesive manner.

Bonafide=)

HSC
turmionkat said:

I really like this, its got the same feel as my own poems but i can't use imagery 4 crap =)

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
oooh love poetry.

though what i write seems to end up terribly bleak and abstract.
i love imagery

lost my usb awhile ago that had some of my stuff on it...im so cut, and also freaked out about someone looking over it all :uhoh:

anyone read voiceworks magazine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)