does doing standard english mean my life is screwed? (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Hey ppl,

I found out that I'm gonna have to do Standard English. Does this mean my life is screwed?

I mean, who's going to want to employ someone who did Standard English? :(

I cant believe my whole life is going to be ruined

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
uh lol no

heaps of people do stuff that are not english based in uni like computer science. Just study and put the effort in and you will be capable of getting the uai that advanced english people have

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
xsjado said:
your life is screwed.
shit :vcross: Far out man! Should I change schools or something?

uh lol no

heaps of people do stuff that are not english based in uni like computer science. Just study and put the effort in and you will be capable of getting the uai that advanced english people have
lol okay. But I heard only 6 people get above 90 uai with standard English, and I hadly doubt Id be one of them. I'm crap at English. No doubt, I'm at the bottom of the state. Does that mean uai 40? :vcross: I'm so screwed

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
no

if you say u will fail eng u will fail
get some positive attitude

me121

Premium Member
HSC
don't worry. standard english is perfectly fine, and i don't think an employer will care (well i guess it depends how long after you did you HSC you go for the job, and if its english related), when i got my last job, they didn't even look at what subjects i did.

loleno said:
No, this is false. There has been 0-20 people each year achieving a band 6 in english standard which equates to a 90/100 mark or more, not a 90 UAI.
yes yes.. quite true.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
English Standard is fun once you notice you outperform 90% of the entire grade in your school and 96% of the whole state and it's even more fun when you are asian.
The arts faculty shouldn't discriminate against those who want to study arts and neither should employers.

But then again those who study English Standard either don't have the literacy skills, can't cope with the content in Advanced, just don't want a career in arts or literature or some other reason.

Why should your life be screwed just over one subject?

null-result

HSC
did standard english.
got 84.

ended with 92 uai.

currently at unsw. eng/science.

kthxbai.

.. and if you judge my intelligenzz by the grammarz of this post .. you ph41l at life

jazzbaby

HSC
why do you have to do standard?

but no life wont be screwed

i think that advanced and standard scale in the same way

btw thats real slack of you to talk about how no one would employ someone with standard eng

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Hey ppl,

I found out that I'm gonna have to do Standard English. Does this mean my life is screwed?

I shall start the session of re-motivation by saying that few people of my school Duxes have been English (Standard) students. That still does not convince you? How about this: My school Duxes (including 2nd and/or 3rd Duxes get over 99 UAI, actually well above 99). Still not enough force to open up your eyes and activate your nerves to make you jump on the bed for joy? How about this: 2004 Dux of my school received 99.90 UAI and successfully guaranteed his entry into the Medicine. He was an accelerant for Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 in 2003. In 2003, he came first in the state for Mathematics and 98/99 in Mathematics Extension 1 (49/50). I need to remind you that his awesome 100 scaled mark from Mathematics did not count towards his UAI as he undertook Mathematics Extension 2 in 2004. In 2004, he came first in the state for Physics (OMG, what a freak!)

In summary, he got Band 6s in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics Extension 1 (2003), Mathematics Extension 2 and Spanish Beginners (this didn't count towards his UAI). He apparently received mid-Band 5 in English (Standard). Despite that, he still achieved 99.90 UAI and shaked his hand with Education Minister at that time (Dr. Nelson).

In 2007 (recent one), 2nd Dux of my school got 99.45 UAI. He was also an accelerant for Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1. He came top 5 in the state for Mathematics but this did not count towards his UAI so let's take fact aside for a minute. Apart from his accelerant subject, he did not receive any state ranks but he still achieved 99.45 UAI without Band 6 in English (Standard). He also achieved mid-80 in English (Standard).

In conclusion, doing English (Standard) will not screw your life over!!! Don't worry about it. As long as you perform well in other subjects, you road to 99+ UAI will be a silk road.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
no offence to the threader.

but your attitude makes me sick.

are you willing to put the effort in? every HSC subject requires hard work. and if your'e not willing to do that, expect your life (@ least your HSC life) to be screwed.

2S1D3

HSC
:rofl::rofl::rofl:...no but seriously get a life...

HSC
doing standard won't screw your life up coz if u do really good in it, then you'll be fine. if u really want to do advance or something, talk to your english head teacher about it. she'll/he'll discourage u and stuff but if you can prove to her/him that u have potential, they'll probably let you. if ur unsuccessful and still remain in standard, make sure u can really good results in all the assessments and stuff. this might enable you to change classes from standard to advance.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
How can you be screwed if you do Standard English?
How can you be screwed if you do a particular subject?

Your UAI is calculated using the top 10 units (including 2 units of english of course) you have sat for in the HSC, so you're not screwed if you did Standard English, as long as you did well in all your other subjects. You'd be screwed if you stuffed up everything, including Standard english or if you did advanced and stuffed everything up.

ashalea08

HSC
im doin standard english...nd i hav all intentions of goin to uni to do primary skool teaching.

standard english can take u just as far...u just have to appliy urself

good luk mate

cactcha
xoxoxox

o_o"
HSC
To OP
Standard and Advanced English scale exactly the same. You'll still be able to get a high UAI if you perform well in Standard. Im not sure how to explain this but if you type 70 in SAM for Standard and Advanced, the UAI for Standard ends up being higher. You can see from this that it really isnt a big deal which you end up doing.

Also unlike Advanced, Standard is a pretty straight forward course so it'll not be difficult to get high marks if you put in a reasonable amount of effort. :)

Out of curiousity, why the hell are you even doing studies of religion?
You dont go to a catholic school and from your signature I can tell you really hate it. Yeah thats kinda confusing me.

blackglitter

HSC
nerdsforever said:
Hey ppl,

dude...you seriously need to calm down a little. Doing standard english in no way means your life is screwed - if you do really well in standard english, it's a whole lot better than doing less than average in english adv.

AppleNader

HSC
nerdsforever said:
Hey ppl,

There is still a way out of this...Do Advanced English. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)