Does Gen Maths Scale U Down (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
theres a HUGE gap between general and 2 unit
i wish there was somehting in between...
like not as hard as 2 unit and not as people say :"supposedly easy": as general

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
bearpooh said:
Gen maths is maths for mental vegetables.

A lot of it is stuff that my younger sister in year 6 is doing.
haha its true :)

we're basically just repeating what we learnt in year 9 and 10..

goan_crazy

HSC
_muse_ said:
haha its true :)

we're basically just repeating what we learnt in year 9 and 10..
will i be alrite if ive missed the whle year 11 and 1 term of yr 12?
i mean if i drop...
as soon as i get back

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
it'll be okay

just as long as you work hard, the stuff isnt that difficult because its real world

i'm sure you will be fine.

dont worry

Scanorama

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
will i be alrite if ive missed the whle year 11 and 1 term of yr 12?
i mean if i drop...
as soon as i get back
Where does the general class up to? In my school, we didnt even start the Year 12 textbook until Term 1, 2004.

goan_crazy

HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Where does the general class up to? In my school, we didnt even start the Year 12 textbook until Term 1, 2004.
im not sure but i know theyve started the year 12 book for a whole term
i think theyve done probablity-which i havent done in 2 unit yet, trigonmetry-(which is nothing like 2 unit trig), and some other 2 stopics so its like 4 topics or more ive missed...

candi_pants

Don't be fooled by the myths that general maths scales down, i was preached that by all my teachers after dropping from 3unit (prelim) down to maths, then into general for hsc, turns out after doin hsc last year that general maths was my highest scaled subject (mark high band 5) and thats considering i did jack in it coz my other subjects were chemistry, physics, eng adv, eng ext 1, eng ext 2 and sor, i received band 5's in chem physics and eng adv, and E4 for eng ext 1 & 2, so go figure why general maths was the highest scaled, i say that uac is f**kd and just do subjects that you can enjoy and kick-ass in! GOOD LUCK =D

Scanorama

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
im not sure but i know theyve started the year 12 book for a whole term
i think theyve done probablity-which i havent done in 2 unit yet, trigonmetry-(which is nothing like 2 unit trig), and some other 2 stopics so its like 4 topics or more ive missed...
You probably will need around 2 weeks of hard works to catch up with it. But it will be worth it, staying in 2U maths will be worse.
The trigonmetry is much easier than the 2U course. Although the side, consine rules do get a bit confusing but if you know the location of sin, cos, tan, and with the help of the wonderful formulae sheet, you shouldnt have much problems.

Probability is one of the worst topic in general maths, but overall it is pretty straight forward, if you have any questons on it, your teacher should be able to help.

Finanical maths is the first topic of our Year 12 textbook, but it is very easy, something like Year 10 advanced maths.

The other one you missed is probably measurements (part of a circle, area, surface area and volume), nothing hard, very straight forward, most forumulae can be found on the formulae sheet, which is supplied for all exams.

Algerbra, only if you class gets up to it, but nothing hard compare to 2U maths. It's like Year 10 advanced algerbra.

Good luck :)

Cab31

HSC
craz said:
In that instance, stick to 2U. 60% in 2U is better than 80% in general, but it really depends on your intelligence in maths.
I got 95 in General and that is just as good uai wise as getting 90 in 2 unit which is a hell of a lot harder

Cab31

HSC
A lot of people say that the probability in general maths is actually harder than @ unit because you dont get formulas like the 2 unit people get...thats what my sister said and she did both 2 unit and general (she did general the year after 2 unit). And i checked out the SAM and i would have got a lower UAI if i had have got 90 in 2 unit than had i got the 95 i got in general

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trev said:
i figure general doesnt use permutations/combinations in their probabilty so is it just the same level as 2unit probabilty or totally different?
I don't know, but General certainly does permutations.

K

katie_tully

We do permutations.
I think we touch on it for about two pages.
Hard stuff.
a) is betting on the Melbourne Cup trifecta a permutation or a combination. Stuff like that.

K

katie_tully

Cab31 said:
A lot of people say that the probability in general maths is actually harder than @ unit because you dont get formulas like the 2 unit people get...thats what my sister said and she did both 2 unit and general (she did general the year after 2 unit). And i checked out the SAM and i would have got a lower UAI if i had have got 90 in 2 unit than had i got the 95 i got in general
lol.
You don't get forumlas in General for probability, because it isn't hard enough for you to require them.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
craz said:
I have to disagree. Gen Maths is great for learning about things in life. 2U u never will have to use unless you do maths at uni! Not everybody is born smart, Gen maths is a great alternative for some.
1) If you plan to do any course which require maths at uni, but you did general, then you better do a tonne of bridging courses or units.
2) Most people ARE actually born with a lot of potential, which almost always includes the potential to be very smart (rare exclusions are such as mental retardation). Some of this potential has dissapeared by your teens (if you didn't harness it), but a hell of a lot still exists if you take the time to master it.
3) General maths does not teach you the things you need for life anymore than 2unit does. The benefit for 2unit is that the things which won't be used in daily life WILL be used for other technical things, such as science or business. In general, anything you'd use standard deviations in, for example, would have required 2 or 3unit maths, so it is entirely pointless to do it in general.

I'll concede general maths is probably the best alternative for people if they screwed up maths up to year 10 (me, I screwed up up to year 9), so don't have sufficient knowledge to do 2 unit, or if the person just hates maths (why are they even doing general?). But don't you ever say some people just "aren't good at maths". Seqential (linear, "cold" thinkers) and spatial (visual, creative thinkers) alike do well at maths, if they bother to kuckle down and learn it.

PC

HSC
N/A
Awww ... all this talk is too hard for me!

Just do the best that you can. That's all anyone can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)