Does getting first in state scale your mark to 99.95? (1 Viewer)

hazelpug

HSC
How does state ranking work, I've always been very curious. If your first/second in state does your mark automatically scale to 99.95??

Asking again since I asked the question wrong XD

photastic

HSC
Atar is an aggregate of marks, not depending on one subject. Coming first in the state doesn't necessary mean you will get 99.95, evident with the UAC data where the maximum atar for a particular subject is not always 99.95.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No it is scaled to an appropriate aggregate per unit. The best 10 units of aggregrate will then be used to calculate your total ATAR aggregate which is then used to determine your rank in the state.

As an example, pages 36 onwards, http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2013-ScalingReport.pdf

The maximum mark for example for Industrial Technology in 2013, gave a maximum scaled aggregate per unit of 40.6.

40.6 isn't really an aggregate which favours a 99.95.

Aggregates of 99.95 lie in the 470+/500 range usually.

iStudent

HSC
You can assume that the subject is "worth" 99.95 if you come first in the state (i.e. max aggregate for that subject - USUALLY). Some obscure subjects, even if you top the state or get 100/100 HSC mark you still won't get that max aggregate - and hence, not "99.95" for that sub.

I think it's usually those obscure languages that don't get this.

Does that answer your question? Or did I interpret your q wrong

hazelpug

HSC
You can assume that the subject is "worth" 99.95 if you come first in the state (i.e. max aggregate for that subject - USUALLY). Some obscure subjects, even if you top the state or get 100/100 HSC mark you still won't get that max aggregate - and hence, not "99.95" for that sub.

I think it's usually those obscure languages that don't get this.

Does that answer your question? Or did I interpret your q wrong
That's exactly what i needed to know, thank you :)

hazelpug

HSC
No it is scaled to an appropriate aggregate per unit. The best 10 units of aggregrate will then be used to calculate your total ATAR aggregate which is then used to determine your rank in the state.

As an example, pages 36 onwards, http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2013-ScalingReport.pdf

The maximum mark for example for Industrial Technology in 2013, gave a maximum scaled aggregate per unit of 40.6.

40.6 isn't really an aggregate which favours a 99.95.

Aggregates of 99.95 lie in the 470+/500 range usually.

Last edited:

hazelpug

HSC
Atar is an aggregate of marks, not depending on one subject. Coming first in the state doesn't necessary mean you will get 99.95, evident with the UAC data where the maximum atar for a particular subject is not always 99.95.
I wasn't really talking about the ATAR, i just wanted to know how scaling works for a particular subject when someone tops the state.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I wasn't really talking about the ATAR, i just wanted to know how scaling works for a particular subject when someone tops the state.
It's done afresh every year and set through a process whereby the cohort of that subject is compared against other cohorts of other subjects relative to their performances in English. This is why English is compulsory for everyone; it is used in determining the individual scaling of each subject into respective aggregates.

When someone tops the state, they receive the maximum aggregate allowable for that subject based on how scaling is for that subject for that year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)