• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
HSC
so what you think your going to die and then everything ends...thats it...no offence but fuck thats stupid...i mean you just drop dead...and no after life no hell no heaven no shit..

have you ever looked into any religions to see what they are about?

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
They are about wishful thinking, your mind which is physically your brain does not float off into space/heaven when you die.

On that note, I was formely Islamic purely because I was born into one.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Omg, N-T-B, don't say afraid. You either choose religion because of 'faith' or non-religion because of logic. Fear, is religions way of sucking you in, eg(Christianity, no offence alot of christians are nice an all). In my quest to learn of all religions, I went to a christian camp, it's across 'wisemans ferry' it's called "Word of Life", relatively fun christian camp. When I went there, they asked me persistantly to 'accept' Jesus into my 'heart', otherwise I would be 'alone' for eternity. I was very impressionable at the time, but still logical. I declined, and was always left out, but I remembered every verse I learnt and bible song (to this day), and was noteably best at memorising important verses. eg( John 3:16 "For god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, for whosever belieth in him...." etc.)

I thought about 'why' I would be accepting it, because of 'Fear??', I wouldn't accept that. Then, I looked into "Big Bang Theory", I studied it, every thing every second, every minute. Then, came to the same conclusion 'Not enough Information and not fully understood', I even hypothesised new theories and ways in which the universe could be recreated. (Usually in between Illness), I've been unusually unlucky with Illness. So, I came up with many ideas of multi-dimensional universes, and things which left me at nights I stayed up with headaches.

I could say I had a revelation one night, where I though logically and then a feeling, I believed what I learnt in scripture, the stories in Islam, the benevolent creator of the universe, and kept 'reanalysing it', the Quran's apparent 'perfection', so much that it feels real. And, it never challenges science, as the bible did to copernicus. It has morals which seem logical... 95% of the time. I believe, and that's my decision. I'm not trapped, I'm liberated as N-T-B feels.

We both know what's right. But, I've analysed it fairly, in my decision, the Quran may not be 110% correct, but it's the most logical at this time. I also have 'faith' if that's what you want to call it. I believe what the Quran teaches 'logically'.

Jeudaism? Yup, studied it, and read the Rabii's apparent 'rules' with no 'real' rules which exist just a few hyp's.

Buddhism? Yup, something about the god with the horn meh... But I don't mind their nice logical morals. (they're good in my book)

Hinduism.... Let's not go there... 'People of the Book' or 'People of the Elephant, Cows and Statues'.... yeah... Pass...

All I can say, is everyone should come upto their own logical conclusion. That's mine.

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea as I said in this thread when the census was on, my mum filled it out.... she put me down as a catholic - I am not :)

Good article.
so you use to be a catholic?

so how has ur life changed since you've become an athiest?
don't you feel empty?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
N-T-B, Im'a ask if I can get you membership in HIQS free, cause yah, you're pretty smart. (atleast over 126 easily).
lol thanks for that man, but I'm not a club-member sort of person : (

As for the rest, i'm not in the mood to argue about that.

so what you think your going to die and then everything ends...thats it...no offence but fuck thats stupid...i mean you just drop dead...and no after life no hell no heaven no shit..
Why is it 'stupid' ? It sux I guess, but that doesn't mean it's a stupid idea.

Oh no of course not.

Namlet

The Yellow Pirate!
HSC
Eh, man needs to believe in something or look for. Hence the Bible could've fictional but nobody knows really.

We could all say we need to believe in something and a meaning to our lives, hence religion. Believing God exists is just a mind state and only something ourselves want to believe or not. Besides, we're only human.

Haha.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
sam04u said:
Omg, N-T-B, don't say afraid. You either choose religion because of 'faith' or non-religion because of logic. Fear, is religions way of sucking you in, eg(Christianity, no offence alot of christians are nice an all). In my quest to learn of all religions, I went to a christian camp, it's across 'wisemans ferry' it's called "Word of Life", relatively fun christian camp. When I went there, they asked me persistantly to 'accept' Jesus into my 'heart', otherwise I would be 'alone' for eternity. I was very impressionable at the time, but still logical. I declined, and was always left out, but I remembered every verse I learnt and bible song (to this day), and was noteably best at memorising important verses. eg( John 3:16 "For god so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, for whosever belieth in him...." etc.)

I thought about 'why' I would be accepting it, because of 'Fear??', I wouldn't accept that. Then, I looked into "Big Bang Theory", I studied it, every thing every second, every minute. Then, came to the same conclusion 'Not enough Information and not fully understood', I even hypothesised new theories and ways in which the universe could be recreated. (Usually in between Illness), I've been unusually unlucky with Illness. So, I came up with many ideas of multi-dimensional universes, and things which left me at nights I stayed up with headaches.

I could say I had a revelation one night, where I though logically and then a feeling, I believed what I learnt in scripture, the stories in Islam, the benevolent creator of the universe, and kept 'reanalysing it', the Quran's apparent 'perfection', so much that it feels real. And, it never challenges science, as the bible did to copernicus. It has morals which seem logical... 95% of the time. I believe, and that's my decision. I'm not trapped, I'm liberated as N-T-B feels.

We both know what's right. But, I've analysed it fairly, in my decision, the Quran may not be 110% correct, but it's the most logical at this time. I also have 'faith' if that's what you want to call it. I believe what the Quran teaches 'logically'.

Jeudaism? Yup, studied it, and read the Rabii's apparent 'rules' with no 'real' rules which exist just a few hyp's.

Buddhism? Yup, something about the god with the horn meh... But I don't mind their nice logical morals. (they're good in my book)

Hinduism.... Let's not go there... 'People of the Book' or 'People of the Elephant, Cows and Statues'.... yeah... Pass...

All I can say, is everyone should come upto their own logical conclusion. That's mine.
We're humans, not (We're just humans), most likely better than all the billions of life forms which existed on earth.

lengy

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:

I have the same opinion towards you and your choice in believing in religion. Just you, not anyone else because I find your response offensive.

HSC
N-T-B
have you never wondered what will happen to you ?what about if there did turn out to be religion [whihc there is] and that there was an after life and everything what would you do then?

umm sorry if it was rude but i have a friend kind of the same as you...

why dont you TRY looking at them then choose to stay without a religion?

and its stupid because you think you die [like many others] and then your body just rots in your grave...and thats it...and theres no answers to any questions

do you believe in scientology? or anything like "the world came about and we are from the apes? or are you the type of person thats just like ok im alive and thats all that matters?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
N-T-B
have you never wondered what will happen to you ?
Yes.

what about if there did turn out to be religion [whihc there is] and that there was an after life and everything what would you do then?
See I have no way of determining that.... there's unlimited possible truths when we begin to go beyond naturalism, so I just don't choose any of them (along with because... well, they seem, from what i've seen, to be wrong). It doesn't take too big of a leap to then say they're all wrong.

Yea, I hope you realise alot of atheists have thought about this issue very hard.

lol I was being sarcastic... I know about as much about religions as I imagine very eager theists do, except maybe I look into other religions than just one a little bit more than your average theist. For the most part tho, why would I bother looking for the truth within religion? Why is religion the only way you can think of to ascertain the truth? You have a brain, you have (imo) just as good a chance working it out for yourself. If you're a christian, I do have some christian credentials:

- Baptised a catholic.
- Mum put me down as a catholic on the latest census, because that's what she wishes I was.
- Attended a christian non-denominational school.

So you know, as far as understanding of christianity goes... I don't think I'm too 'in the dark' about it.

do you believe in scientology?
lol no. I don't think there is anything supernatural in the world to be honest.. well possibly some things may end up with an odd naturalistic explanation, but I don't think anything will simply be put down to 'magic'. I am a naturalist/materialist... whatever you want to call me :)

or anything like "the world came about and we are from the apes?
I believe in evolution, yes. Evolution doesn't say... we are 'from the apes', that's a common mis-representation that has occured as scientists have tried to sell the idea, in simple terms, to the public. In reality the idea is that there was a creature, not TOO long ago (in evolutionary terms) that then broke off into both apes and humans, thus our DNA is so similar, thus our bodies are so similar. Why don't you believe in evolution? We have alot of evidence for it, sure there are some holes, but for the most part it seems to be one of the best theories science has ever had.

or are you the type of person thats just like ok im alive and thats all that matters?
No. I think about these things quite a bit, I am genuinely interested in understanding the world around me.

Last edited:

robbie1

HSC
Its people like the posters in this thread that have caused this:

http://www.marysource.com/images/Rosa Mystica.jpg

Heres just one incidence of Mary weeping. There are plenty more.

Tuesday, 18 February, 2003, 12:15 GMT
Bangladeshis flock to 'weeping Virgin'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2775461.stm

By Alastair Lawson
BBC correspondent in Dhaka

Thousands of people in the Bangladeshi port city of Chittagong are flocking to a Roman Catholic church where tears are reported to have been seen on a statue of the Virgin Mary.
The marble statue is kept in a glass case which scientists say could lead to condensation appearing on the Virgin Mary's face (LOL)

Many of those visiting the church are Muslims, eager to see what some locals believe is a sign of the Virgin's dismay over the recent outbreak of violence in the country and elsewhere in the world.

Roman Catholic believers say it is the first time in Bangladesh that tears have been seen on a statue of the Virgin Mary.

In a country which is overwhelmingly Muslim, it is unusual for a symbol of the Christian faith to attract much interest.

But so many people are gathering outside the Chittagong church that police have been deployed to ensure law and order is maintained.

'Inquisitive'

Muslims are queuing to see the statue even though the Koran warns believers against showing an interest in religious idols.

Roman Catholics in Chittagong say that most people are queuing up to see the statue because they are inquisitive.

Around 90% of Bangladesh's 130 million population is Muslim.

In Chittagong, the second-largest city in the country, there are only around 8,000 Christians in a city of over four million people.

Many churchgoers claim the cause of the Virgin Mary's tears is recent outbreaks of violence in Bangladesh.

They point out that she has had a lot to be upset about in the last week alone.

On Monday, five people were gunned down in local election violence in the south-western district of Jhenida and, before that, there were a series of bomb explosions in the northern town of Dinajpur.

Scientists have already said that one possible explanation for the tears is the fact that the marble statue is kept in a glass case, which could lead to condensation appearing on the Virgin Mary's face - honestly, scientists think they know the answer to things that they have no idea about. Morons.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Its people like the posters in this thread that have caused this: http://www.marysource.com/images/Rosa Mystica.jpg
LMFAO. You have no idea what 'caused' it. I'm going to blame it on YOU, you monster.

Scientists have already said that one possible explanation for the tears is the fact that the marble statue is kept in a glass case, which could lead to condensation appearing on the Virgin Mary's face - honestly, scientists think they know the answer to things that they have no idea about. Morons.
What they don't want to tell you is that it's most likely not a mystery, but a forgery as many other examples of this shit have been.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Hmm... even though I don't particularly believe in that incident, I don't completely rule it out. Is it possible, well... yeah. Is it likely...LMFAOBAHAHA (NO).

In my opinion it's a fraud. (automatically), but I don't completely 'rule it out', everything which is great, new and major. Went against common sense. Looking at that pattern, I don't think that will change. (It's like saying to man 1000s of years ago that they would go to the moon), it woulda seemed 'stupid' and 'against common sense'. I mean could they even fathom that the moon was a place 'too go to'? Would they be able to fathom that it was spherical, and land just like land on earth?, so yeah. Never rule anything out completely.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Went against common sense. Looking at that pattern, I don't think that will change. It's like saying to man 1000s of years ago that they would go to the moon
Except the problem for you is that nothing supernatural has ever came to be true, at least that we have a record of. Also, it's not just going against 'common sense', it's going against years of investigative studies into paranormal nonsense - all of which (if serious) came up with null results.

Never rule anything out completely.
Oh I don't rule it out completely, but given that there's 10000's of other cases of the same thing (which turn out on proper examination to be hoaxes), I'm going to make the guess that this one might also be a hoax. I'm sure they would not present the object to skeptical authorities for examination, if asked to.

If you'd like to read about 100000000's of cases of bullshit that happen all accross our planet, go here:

http://forums.randi.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Caption reads: "Holy Ghost ... Christ is clearly visible in ultrasound scan"

lmfao.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005250380,00.html

Last edited:

*hopeful*

HSC
i think its cool that people get so excited about these lil 'signs', each to their own to decide if its fake or not

edit: not-that-bright i luv ur sig :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
N-T-B
have you never wondered what will happen to you ?what about if there did turn out to be religion [whihc there is] and that there was an after life and everything what would you do then?

In answer to the argument along the lines of 'what if there turned out to be a god and you were kept from paradise/nirvana/happiness (whatever)... wouldn't it be wise to be religious just in case?'

It's potentially just as bad to assume religion and then be wrong. Here's an extreme example - it's an interpretation of islam which some use to condemn the act of listening to music:

http://www.freemuse.org/sw13388.asp

Having parents who play music and as a musician myself I couldn't imagine a life without the pleasures of music... for me it would certainly be a life which wasn't nearly as worthwhile. Does it make sense to relinquish pleasures now (via chastity, restriction on activities etc.) for the sake of a possible afterlife?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Does anybody here seriously think that this debate can be proved one way or the other? :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)