• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

pinkyforce7

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
If God truly knows all, He would've known from birth that certain people will live a life without believing in Him. He ultimately dooms these people to hell, despite the fact that he knew all along that they were going to be non-believers (or believers in other religions).

Why does he let non-believers come to exist only to punish them for what they were fated to believe?

Why let a Buddhist person exist and come to life when he is doomed to go to Hell in the first place? The buddhist should've known? How would you yourself have known if you were brought up in a Buddhist country/upbringing/family?

Certainly if God exists, non-believers would've appreciated their non-existence, rather than go through the ordeal of a fated doom.
yeah but thats just one interpretation of the bible and/or other religious text. Some christians believe that people get a second chance at choosing after they die. in this scenario the only one who really has the choice is God, and noone really has any hard evidense that he exists let alone to say that all non believers will definitely be damned to eternal doom

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
If God truly knows all, He would've known from birth that certain people will live a life without believing in Him. He ultimately dooms these people to hell, despite the fact that he knew all along that they were going to be non-believers (or believers in other religions).

Why does he let non-believers come to exist only to punish them for what they were fated to believe?

Why let a Buddhist person exist and come to life when he is doomed to go to Hell in the first place? The buddhist should've known? How would you yourself have known if you were brought up in a Buddhist country/upbringing/family?

Certainly if God exists, non-believers would've appreciated their non-existence, rather than go through the ordeal of a fated doom.
Go back and read my post about what hell is.
Also , i said before , God says all will hear the message. Rest assured for those who have not heard the message. It is those who have heard I worry about.
God allows people to decide their future. With God or without God,
Hell is just a place without God.

pinkyforce7

HSC
*TRUE* said:
It doesnt really say that!
Remember when some of the disciples tried to cast a demon out of someone? The demon ( thru the man) said . Paul i know , but who are you? then stripped them and beat them black and blue.
Its not the name its the authority in the name. If you dont have the authority that name isnt going to help you. A demon is going to know if you have the authority of God in your life.
man, me and God go a long way back. he'd bail me out if i got into a toughy.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
My comment wasnt pointless. You just dont understand/disagree.
Nah, it really was pointless...
2) As long as you insist on finding God using false philosophy , and by demanding of God to satisfy your every doubt , you will not find him. You will need faith. Even if you have faith as small as a "mustard seed" you will do it.
As long as you insist on finding the flying spaghetti monster using false philosophy (i.e. christianity) , and by demanding of the flying spaghetti monster to satisfy your every doubt , you will not find him. You will need faith. Even if you have faith as small as a "mustard seed" you will do it.

Does what I just wrote sound pointless to you?

The Holy Spirit does not force us to truth. But he will reveal it to us.
Ive had lots of issues with the bible where i havent wanted to find the truth because i dont like it, it is contrary to what i think i want. I think others do too.
...Okay, so do you believe you know the truth or are you mistaken? Every other christian will believe a different 'version' of 'the truth', so are you better at interpreting the holy spirit than them, or is it quite possible you're just plain wrong on many facets of your understanding?

God says all will hear the message. Rest assured for those who have not heard the message.
What we're suggesting to you... is that the bible (or your interpretation of it) might be wrong. I mean, what do you mean by 'the message' anyway? I'd like something specific so that I could ask someone and they could answer whether they've heard it, if not it just seems like a pointless, empty diversionary tactic.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:

As long as you insist on finding the flying spaghetti monster using false philosophy (i.e. christianity) , and by demanding of the flying spaghetti monster to satisfy your every doubt , you will not find him. You will need faith. Even if you have faith as small as a "mustard seed" you will do it.

...Okay, so do you believe you know the truth or are you mistaken? Every other christian will believe a different 'version' of 'the truth', so are you better at interpreting the holy spirit than them, or is it quite possible you're just plain wrong on many facets of your understanding?
Enteebee I cant prove anything to you. Im so sorry I wish i could. Im going to have to leave you to do what you will do.
Goodnight , I wish you the best.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Go back and read my post about what hell is.
Also , i said before , God says all will hear the message. Rest assured for those who have not heard the message. It is those who have heard I worry about.
God allows people to decide their future. With God or without God,
Hell is just a place without God.
I don't think you understand. He knows what we will decide. So why let us come to exist?

Bring it to a personal level. Under my circumstances, I think it was quite fair of me to lose faith in God a few years ago. Much happened in my life and I abandoned the faith. God would've known about this before I even made the decision and the series of events that led up to it.

Suppose I never return to the faith again. He would've known before I came to existence that I was going to decide this way. Then he takes me straight to hell. Why let me exist in the first place when he KNEW how I was going to decide?

I just don't think you really understand what I'm asking. Or maybe your faith isn't allowing you to? :/

And the "message" you keep talking about? Well. It's either painfully distorted by all the crazy christians out there who all have differing interpretations of how God loves and therefore I'm having trouble hearing it, or we have a very unjust and narrowminded God indeed.

Also the second chance interpretation is a weird concept to me. What kind of test would it involve anyway?

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:

What we're suggesting to you... is that the bible (or your interpretation of it) might be wrong. I mean, what do you mean by 'the message' anyway? I'd like something specific so that I could ask someone and they could answer whether they've heard it, if not it just seems like a pointless, empty diversionary tactic.
For the last part you just edited in:
Gods word is not wrong.
The message is : Jesus Christ is the son of the one true God , sent to earth to redeem us of our sins and bring us to relationship with him , now and for eternity in heaven.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I don't think you understand. He knows what we will decide. So why let us come to exist?

Bring it to a personal level. Under my circumstances, I think it was quite fair of me to lose faith in God a few years ago. Much happened in my life and I abandoned the faith. God would've known about this before I even made the decision and the series of events that led up to it.

Suppose I never return to the faith again. He would've known before I came to existence that I was going to decide this way. Then he takes me straight to hell. Why let me exist in the first place when he KNEW how I was going to decide?

I just don't think you really understand what I'm asking. Or maybe your faith isn't allowing you to? :/
Because he loves you and believes in you - he has a purpose for your life. You choose what you want , you ALONE are responsible for how you handle the reality of your decision.
The message has been distorted by some. But you will hear the truth. And you will decide. Its up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Gods word is not wrong.
You speak Gods word? How presumptuous of you... You don't even consider the possibility that your interpretation of the bible could be wrong? Even if I were to accept the existence of a God, we still have no way of knowing for sure that what we believe is his word/commandment is indeed his...

In fact I bet what you used to believe was Gods will has changed over time, correct?

Jesus Christ is the son of the one true God , sent to earth to redeem us of our sins and bring us to relationship with him , now and for eternity in heaven.
Ok there are people in remote tribes of papua new guinea who have not heard this message (that's the point of missionaries, no? and why some christian sects believe in purgatory, no?).

BTW, how is 'hearing the message' supposed to help us at all anyway? I've heard a lot of messages from a lot of religious groups, there have been ones just like yours that have come and gone. Hearing the message... does nothing to bring me to accepting it.

I have a message for you from zeus "zeus is the god of all man, he shoots lightning bolts and is really cool", if you don't believe in him you're going to hell btw.... There is absolutely no difference between your message and my own.

Because he loves you and believes in you - he has a purpose for your life. You choose what you want , you ALONE are responsible for how you handle the reality of your decision.
The message has been distorted by some. But you will hear the truth. And you will decide. Its up to you.
Ok... How do I discern what is the truth? TBH from everything you've presented, using the faculties that god gave me, I cannot at all see how your 'truth' is any better than that of a muslim... and there's no way for you to explain how it is, so as far as I (an observer, not someone with your experience) can tell, your truth is no better. Do you agree that it's fair for me (not having been blessed by god in the way you have) to not see a difference?

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
You speak Gods word? How presumptuous of you... You don't even consider the possibility that your interpretation of the bible could be wrong? Even if I were to accept the existence of a God, we still have no way of knowing for sure that what we believe is his word/commandment is indeed his...

In fact I bet what you used to believe was Gods will has changed over time, correct?

Ok there are people in remote tribes of papua new guinea who have not heard this message (that's the point of missionaries, no? and why some christian sects believe in purgatory, no?).

BTW, how is 'hearing the message' supposed to help us at all anyway? I've heard a lot of messages from a lot of religious groups, there have been ones just like yours that have come and gone. Hearing the message... does nothing to bring me to accepting it.

I have a message for you from zeus "zeus is the god of all man, he shoots lightning bolts and is really cool", if you don't believe in him you're going to hell btw.... There is absolutely no difference between your message and my own.

Ok... How do I discern what is the truth? TBH from everything you've presented, using the faculties that god gave me, I cannot at all see how your 'truth' is any better than that of a muslim.

Goodnight Enteebee.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Goodnight Enteebee.
night *TRUE*!
btw, just to re-iterate... I really, really, really hope you're right and I'm wrong. Even if I go to hell, I think I could still find happiness knowing people I loved got to be in heaven.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Somebody tell me when *TRUE* stops posting.

pinkyforce7 said:
so if God did exist, which God would be the best God?

stupid half unrelated question
The Invisible Pink Unicorn.

But, seriously, I think Freyja is pretty sexy. Oh, spurn my heathan arse! To hell with me.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
sam04u said:
Enteebee, I'm afraid you don't quite understand this hell thing.

It's like an eternity of being in room 101. You would betray anyone you'd ever loved to get out of it, there is no happiness to find.
Hey sam, pretty hard to always get it right with something that has no tangible quality to it whatsoever because it doesn't exist and that so many different cultures have so many different interpretations upon with so many different religious sects having so many different spins as well, then the individual mashing these up to come up with whatever their idea is.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'd rather believe in Satan than God, if I believed. He killed a lot less people in the Bible.

BradCube

HSC
ur_inner_child said:

Stef, you have reiterated the current unstucking of my faith. I then wonder if it is possible that the "doom" from a non-believers existance is exaggerated. In one book I read, it described hell more as a place that exists without Gods intervention. This definition seems a little more bearable to me. Non-believers that don't want God can continue to exist without God for all eternity.

Kind of related to this topic is how God deals with the person who never hears the message - therefore not having the ability to accept or reject it. One explanation I found amusing (and in truth probably the closest to reasonable) was that God has placed people that will respond positively to the message in places where they will hear that message. Conversely it also followed that God will place people who would negatively respond in places where they will not hear. This brings up a few dilemmas in its own way, but I figured that it's probably worth attaching the thoughts behind it for those that would like to read.

It is written by Dr William Lane Craig who is a Christian philosopher so understandably it is written from a christian perspective. Still worth a read though. I found it quite entertaining!

4unitfreak

HSC
if god doesn't exist, what is the point of life?
To have sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.

I'm an atheist, so to me, no, God doesn't exist. I find the concept of an invisible man living in the sky hard to grasp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)