• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Adaptation is a big thing. The crux of it all is you can't trust man, man is insufficient in making mistake free decisions the Bible being an obvious creation of such an ideal. The basic thing that you should learn from the Bible is not that we should strive for greatness but we should except our failings as it is impossible to obtain any sort of perfection.

HalcyonSky

HSC
EbonyTW said:
Adaptation is a big thing. The crux of it all is you can't trust man, man is insufficient in making mistake free decisions the Bible being an obvious creation of such an ideal. The basic thing that you should learn from the Bible is not that we should strive for greatness but we should except our failings as it is impossible to obtain any sort of perfection.
an 08'er female just constructed a quality post?

lolwut

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
an 08'er female just constructed a quality post?

lolwut

I'm here to bemuse and or amuse. Fail.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Ever since Bradcube's necked himself. I'm willing to play devil's advocate and not put up straw men if we want to play a game in accordance with poe's law?

Let's see what we can do. I don't think you necessarily have to be an apt theologian, just a skilled debater.

Does this sound like a good idea to kill time?
John 13:38
What is truth?
Was Pilate being rhetorical here? Is he lashing Jesus with Imperial scorn, confident that there is no sensible answer?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I am satisfied with this answer and applaud your faith in absolutes

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Schroedinger said:
God does not love Satan as Satan is not man. Satan exists to turn man (who God loves) away from God. Satan exists to destroy God, but God is all powerful (as is his nature) and thus cannot be destroyed.
Yeah hi Dan im a first time caller long time reader
Was the success of Jesus' mission a close-run thing, or bound to succeed? What irks me is some of the things Jesus said on the cross.
Eg Matt 27:46 "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Why wasnt His faith stronger?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
It's an indication that just as Jesus was God, he was man, and man has foibles. Jesus is us, he is the every man, and his faith was shaken as ours is. Jesus, however, retained his faith in the righteous wonder of God and saved us all. Jesus' salvation of mankind is the most beautiful moment in human history. Jesus' sacrifice freed us from sin, and accepting Jesus as he accepted the majesty of his own/God's plan, we are able to be freed from sin and accepted into God's love.
um.....
I give you a 'Fail' for that reply
I bet you went to a religious school.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Okay I have a bottle of water, a copy of the KJV and infinite patience. I'm going to be arguing from the perspective of a biblical literalist.

On the nature of young earth creationism we have a simple postulate, the bible outlines that god is omnipotent and omniscient which means that he is in fact all-powerful. It would be trivial for God to intervene with anything we do here on earth. We are presented with a very simple option for any scientific accounts that disagree with biblical history: this would be intervention on a very real level from this involved creator. God's power easily transcends that of man by his own nature which means that any scientific evidence gathered can be easily tampered with by God. God can easily physically intervene in our scientific attempts to understand the universe and vastly modify the data so that it is not in accordance with the bible.

This would seem, at first, utterly foolish, but when you take into perspective how faith is the lynchpin of faith in this glorious God it makes perfect sense. Jesus claims that no man shall get to the father but through him. Faith and eternal hope in Jesus' claims guarantee one seating at the table of heaven. Because of how important faith is, God is testing our faith, much like he tested Job's faith, in order to guarantee that we love him. It is because God loves us so much that he tests us. He tests us to prove to Satan that our faith in him is unwavering, what more would you ask of an ever loving God?
Though you play devil's advocate, you've done a terrific job of getting to the crux of the issue.

Too often we quibble over questions derived from biblical claims, e.g. does god exist? do humans have free will? are there objective moral truths? To use the associated jargon, we argue about metaphysical issues.

However, as you have highlighted, there are deeper questions pertaining to 'knowledge' (falling into the domain of epistemology) lying behind these debates (though of course there is at least some degree of interdependence). Here we encounter problems regarding justification, belief and rationality. Of central importance in the religious context is the issue of faith. The question which thus arises is: Does faith/revelation provide a path to knowledge / warranted belief?

The central disagreement between science and religion, then, is not so much over whether god exists or whether evolution accounts for all the diversity in the universe, but rather it is a dispute about the best way to seek knowledge. Note that 'a sentient being created the universe' is an admissible hypothesis within science, as is 'intelligent design explains some of the diversity in the world'. The real problems arise when we turn to examine these hypotheses and try to determine whether we should accept or reject them. Here the methods of the pure-scientist and the revelationist clash. While both likely make use of the hypothetico-deductive method, the revelationist further admits faith as a means of determining truth/warrant - they have an extra criterion for the rational justification of beliefs.

Debates between scientists and theists, each of certain types, will thus tend towards hitting an impasse unless such fundamental issues are first addressed. Admittedly, they are incredibly difficult to address, and I doubt that a satisfactory knock down argument can be provided (for the issues centre around the very nature of argument and justification). Nonetheless, I think it is profitable to engage in such discussion in order to understand not only the epistemological presuppositions underlying the positions of our opponents, but also our own - "The unexamined life is not worth living" etc...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Please explain why? I'm being as true to fundamentalism as possible.

Jesus was both God and man. He was God made man, he did not sin, but not having faith is not a sin in any biblical context. Committing an act of evil against God or Man is a sin. Jesus could lose faith in his own plan and show weakness of resolve without committing a sin.
True got buuuurned.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Anyway, as Hitchens put it so clearly in response to Pascal's wager, would an intelligent god have more respect for a Christian who believes purely out of fear or on the balance of probabilities, or a skeptic who is resolute and strong-minded in his beliefs. :p
You assume an intelligent god would even create humans.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves
Mat10:16

My maxim

ALTHOUGH Machiavelli's fox and lion works too

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Schroedinger said:
By the way am I the only one that gets a bit misty eyed at how incredible it is we're examining ourselves and the universe with the tools we're developing ourselves. How incredibly brilliant it is that our species is becoming such a voracious race of infovores? It is one of the things that has given me more joy than I could ever feel in the raptures of any religious fervour
Similar thoughts often strike me. It's all quite astounding really. An ironic thought which once hit me was that, if determinism holds, deterministic processes have humorously managed to produce beings which both question and think about determinism. Similar thoughts pertain to evolutionary algorithms which produce beings that can recognise these very algorithms. I <3 reflexive structures.

Schroedinger said:
At least until we come to understand the nature of consciousness as a purely biological construct, or something more. If we can create consciousness or save it or... analyse it in any way, I think we're significantly closer to understanding the main reasons for god, the fear of death, but then we get into the whole concept of consciousness vectors and duplicating consciousness and all manner of juicy moral arguments which I think escape the notions of this current thread.
Just because the ideas are fresh in my mind: yesterday I finished reading a book on existential psychotherapy (which for me finds a nice realm of intersection between philosophy, psychology and medicine) whose first section considers anxiety experienced in the face of death and the various ways in which we try to cope. The writer, Irvin Yalom, two primary patterns of coping (1) an individual style which involves affirmations of one's specialness and/or immortality (think feats of heroism, attempts to continue one's genetic line, mad grabs at power and resources, and working on lasting projects like statues, books, scientific theories and institutions) & (2) cultivation of a belief, conscious or unconscious, in an 'ultimate protector' (a god, a king, a religious leader, a significant other etc...) that is in some way seen as greater than death (note that manifestations of this needn't be 'benevolent' in form - the masochist may surrender themselves to the violent whims of a powerful other [wise crack --> think old testament?]).

Naturally religion tends towards the latter category. It is interesting to note that most humans have the childhood experience of doting parents (stereotypically a mother) who swoop down to satisfy our needs and protect us from harm, and so most of us have some level of direct experience with the concept of an 'ultimate protector'. Perhaps this plays a role in which the concept comes so naturally to us? Similarly, immortality/specialness approaches may have some roots in the self-centred perspective from which we view the universe. I find the origins of religious thought quite interesting in the context of these kinds of ideas.

----------

Also, a tangent which just came to me (in relation to the work of a moral/evolutionary psychologist Geoffrey Miller). I once read the suggestion that the pagan moral virtues (things like strength, beauty, generosity, courage) may have come about through sexual selection since they tend to be indicators of reproductive fitness (like the cumbersome peacock's tail, a human must be very well of to be able to afford generosity!). One might then wonder, 'but what of the typical christian virtues?' such as temperance, prudence, patience etc (there is some overlap of course).

One suggestion I came across was that 'pagan' virtues seem to typify dominance behaviors while 'christian' virtues seem to typify submissive behaviors. It is valuable for an organism to be able to make use of both types of behaviors since displays of dominance, or alternately, submission, may displace physical conflicts which tend to leave both parties worse for wear. Sexual selection may again act here, as it makes sense to choose mates who can practice appropriate dominance/submission behaviors in order to navigate the social environment (note that courtship involves alternating displays of dominant pagan virtues and submissive christian virtues). The interesting tie in comes from the suggestion that christian virtues may tend to be submissive because the church always stands in relation to a dominant god and such behaviors encapsulate our natural means of showing deference. What just struck me as interesting is that this pagan/christian (dominant/submissive) virtue division finds an interesting analogue in the immortality/ultimate-protector division of defences against death anxiety mentioned above... especially once psychopathology enters the picture.

Interconnected ideas are the best.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Scientists accidentally create a very complex evolutionary trait in a lab bacteria:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel...make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/10/1845250

One of the best (of many, many) pieces of proof yet that evolution is real and actively operating in real-time, right now, over the course of seconds, years, and the age of the Earth itself.

Emytaylor to respond: "Continuous creation. God put those new bacteria there to test my faith."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)