Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Jared, while I appreciate the literary weight of your source, it ought to be said that they are indeed speaking from a religious point of view, not a scientific one (which is that it generally is far more likely that existence, as we'd define it, is not a product of divinity: that indeed can be described with mathematical precision, and I'd also like to direct you to the principle of Ockham's Razor. Even religious scientists generally accept that the universe itself is more likely than not to have no need for a divine creator).

The point is that the heavily religious will always find more credibility in a world with a God, and the non-religious will always find more credibility in a world without. Because neither can ever be proven, it is generally a matter of opinion (or, indeed, faith); however, mathematical 'certainty' can certainly be applied to the lack of existence of a God. There is no "God constant" in the laws the describe the universe, and no need of them.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
and you go off at me because i find science boring i think it is more important to know about world religions then about science
That's like saying it's more important to know how to speak another language than your own native tongue.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
no.
correction.
i know about christianity. i know about science.

if this thread was suddenly about debating the merits of jews, i'd go and learn me some jew

wait... what you just said then was incredibly dumb
just like when science is brought up and it is discussing a particular thing i will look it up for the sake of educating myself about things that i need to know.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
That's like saying it's more important to know how to speak another language than your own native tongue.
I think that if everyone knew each others beliefs there would be a lot less discrimination in this world.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The bolded part struck me most because often it's the case. To be an atheist is cool, especially at the age these forums are intended for. This is questioning the institution at it's greatest. Yes I recognise your case but equally agree with the author that at the end of the day there is no definitive proof that He exists nor doesn't exist.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
just like when science is brought up and it is discussing a particular thing i will look it up for the sake of educating myself about things that i need to know.
wtf

all i asked was why jews censor the word god. what the hell are you talking about? i actually asked why he censors the word, it's a hell of a lot more than what you do when confronted science

i could have easily dismissed it and said 'lol i dont care why he censors it coz i find it boring'

god ur dumb

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
JaredR said:
The bolded part struck me most because often it's the case. To be an atheist is cool, especially at the age these forums are intended for. This is questioning the institution at it's greatest. Yes I recognise your case but equally agree with the author that at the end of the day there is no definitive proof that He exists nor doesn't exist.
I'm not an atheist because it's cool.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
JaredR said:
No, not all are, but I think many impressionable youths are.
I wouldn't call them atheists in the true sense of the word then. The same could be said about impressionable kids who turn to God because they think it's what they should do.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
JaredR said:
No, not all are, but I think many impressionable youths are.
You can't really dismiss atheism as a fad because atheism had been around for the entirety of human history, longer than any single religion. Whenever there are believers there are non-believers; indeed, every child is born an atheist. You indeed are atheist to all religions but one; 'atheists' just extend that to yours as well.

States of mind aren't fads. You either believe or you don't, and that's the end of it; the 'fad' is to now be open about it, whereas previously most atheists either put up or shut up.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Er yea sure, who gives a shit why some kids believe what, it has no bearing on reality. BTW I really don't know how 'cool' it is to be an atheist, atheists are seen as nerds and pompous elitist jerks.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I think that if everyone knew each others beliefs there would be a lot less discrimination in this world.
And if everyone knew science there'd be a lot less believers to be discriminated against.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
and you go off at me because i find science boring i think it is more important to know about world religions then about science
They're of equal importance and you ought to be learning about both. Personally I don't know how you can have an understanding of religion without also looking at science.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Fantastic, so how about you go read up on some evolutionary biology and big bang stuff!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I think discrimination exists when self-righteous people claim that their beliefs and their beliefs alone are right and that hitherto they are to enjoy the only rewards of the afterlife. But that's just my opinion.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
JaredR said:
I think discrimination exists when self-righteous people claim that their beliefs and their beliefs alone are right and that hitherto they are to enjoy the only rewards of the afterlife. But that's just my opinion.
Isn't that what most religions do, in fact, generally require? That any and all other religions must be wrong, and profoundly wrong?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Kwayera said:
Isn't that what most religions do, in fact, generally require? That any and all other religions must be wrong, and profoundly wrong?
I think so.
Atleast that's the impression I get from them here.

There is one god and one god only, and to acknowledge or entertain the thought that any others exist is completely contradictory.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
katie tully said:
I think so.
Atleast that's the impression I get from them here.

There is one god and one god only, and to acknowledge or entertain the thought that any others exist is completely contradictory.
Exactly. Therefore religions fundamentally encourage discrimination, if not the "active" type, because all their members are feeling "wow, that religion is totally incorrect."

What religious people need to realise is that atheists feel exactly that, but also for your religion as well.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
it's a very touchy subject, there are numerious schools of though regarding the issue.

imo the modern catholic church does not 'fundamentally discriminate' against other religions, in fact it has become more open, inclusive of other religeons.

"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, as they know it through the dictates of their conscience-those too may achieve eternal salvation." http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/847.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)