• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Find god through jesus... without physical proof? So you just want us to one day believe, then that's good enough for you? even if we have no basis for it... we just believe and say 'i found jesus! keke!' ? God, as you conceptualise it... defies all known logic... of everything.... and you're willing to believe it, because of some 'hunch' ?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
gerhard said:
hingis is terrible
so many better looking players
Alot of people say that, but something about her makes me all warm inside :eek:
Me and my mates went to see her and anna kournikova when they did the doubles at the Aus open... hawt.

Not-That-Bright said:
Find god through jesus... without physical proof? So you just want us to one day believe, then that's good enough for you? even if we have no basis for it... we just believe and say 'i found jesus! keke!' ? God, as you conceptualise it... defies all known logic... of everything.... and you're willing to believe it, because of some 'hunch' ?

God doesnt defy all logic. There are scientific facts that we dont have a clue about. We know nothing about the universe, compared to wats yet to be discovered. Yeh your right, u cant just believe out of no where. I think christianity isnt against atheists, its against devil worshipers. Just as long as athiests believe there is a possiblity of a God existing, even without evidence. But assume God did exist, i think u should try to find him, its not a light issue, ur dealing with ur soul here. If u search and u dont find, well im sure understanding the possibility of God existing is good enough, and also not going against God, even if u dont believe, because u understand the possibility of the existance.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
me said:
defies all known logic
you said:
God doesnt defy all logic. There are scientific facts that we dont have a clue about. We know nothing about the universe, compared to wats yet to be discovered.
It's pretty stupid to believe in something simply because 'there are scientific facts we dont have a clue about!', we have to work with what we have... Is this ad hominem?
I think christianity isnt against atheists
Well most of the churches seem to disagree.

But assume God did exist, i think u should try to find him, its not a light issue, ur dealing with ur soul here. If u search and u dont find, well im sure understanding the possibility of God existing is good enough, and also not going against God, even if u dont believe, because u understand the possibility of the existance.
You should believe in unicorns, if they exist and you don't... they're going to kill you. I'd much rather work on the basis of 'probability' using what we know, than possibility based on 'well... anything is possible'.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
gerhard said:
hingis is terrible
so many better looking players
I don't want to send this thread off on a tangent, but I beg to differ

She has a gorgeous smile :)

davin

HSC
N/A
all this "dealing with your soul" bit just seems off in that the soul isn't a proven concept in its own right. i mean, i own someone else's soul i bought on ebay, but i don't really think that that carries any meaning, for example (money was for charity)

and the idea that science doesn't know something, therefore it must be god is its own big fallacy as science not sorting something out yet doesn't mean that there is god...or else god's been disappearing over the years as science has answered more questions that were unanswered.

volition

arr.
HSC
yes, 'god is shrinking' :)

btw, I'm still waiting on someone to respond to my post above about why I should believe one person over another (why i should believe a christian over a muslim for example).

Not-That-Bright said:
You should believe in unicorns, if they exist and you don't... they're going to kill you. I'd much rather work on the basis of 'probability' using what we know, than possibility based on 'well... anything is possible'.

its wrong if someone "believes" in God just because anything is possible. that would be impossible, cause it wouldnt truely be believing. so im not arguing that point. What im saying is, no one can say God doesnt exist, even if they dont believe.

I would like to know, why do people believe in God? If theres any religious people out there. Can anyone answer this?

davin

HSC
N/A
I would like to know, why do people believe in God? If theres any religious people out there. Can anyone answer this?
um...that might've been touched upon, just a hair, in the hundreds of posts prior to yours

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People believe in God for a whole bunch of reasons...

Justice - They like to feel that there is a higher power that is going to give them 'bad people' their just deserts...
Moral compass - Morals are a hard thing to deal with, their 'god' gives them some answers and makes it easy to dismiss annoying moral relativism.
Safety - People like to think their is someone watching over them...
Comfort - People don't want to die, they don't want to think of their loved ones dying and being gone forever... people want to live forever, and religion gives them this answer.

I could go on forever...

its wrong if someone "believes" in God just because anything is possible. that would be impossible, cause it wouldnt truely be believing. so im not arguing that point. What im saying is, no one can say God doesnt exist, even if they dont believe.
I have no idea what all of...
But assume God did exist, i think u should try to find him, its not a light issue, ur dealing with ur soul here. If u search and u dont find, well im sure understanding the possibility of God existing is good enough, and also not going against God, even if u dont believe, because u understand the possibility of the existance.
meant then?

Not-That-Bright said:
People believe in God for a whole bunch of reasons...

Justice - They like to feel that there is a higher power that is going to give them 'bad people' their just deserts...
Moral compass - Morals are a hard thing to deal with, their 'god' gives them some answers and makes it easy to dismiss annoying moral relativism.
Safety - People like to think their is someone watching over them...
Comfort - People don't want to die, they don't want to think of their loved ones dying and being gone forever... people want to live forever, and religion gives them this answer.
yeh but u dont believe in God. i wanna know wat a religious person has to say. If u just believe in him for a reason, as u say, then u dont truely believe in him. You cant just believe in someone because you want something from them. Now if this is true, how can you truely believe in God when theres no evidence. Now i am a christian, my point is people take believing in God too lightly, its an extremly difficult thing. See, this is seperating Chrstians from Athiests, Athiests think Chrstians are some brainwashed group of people, worhshiping God without question. The truth is they're more similar than you think. If all Chrstians had perfect faith, faith wouldnt be an issue in the church, however it is. We are all on a lifetime quest, no matter what religion, to find our true beliefs. Never rule anything out.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yeh but u dont believe in God. i wanna know wat a religious person has to say. If u just believe in him for a reason, as u say, then u dont truely believe in him. You cant just believe in someone because you want something from them. Now if this is true, how can you truely believe in God when theres no evidence.
I'm saying that's why they believe in God... a big factor is also parents/society. Of course, they later might justify this or whatever by claiming they believe such and such passages because they've found them to be true... But I don't buy that in most cases.

Athiests think Chrstians are some brainwashed group of people, worhshiping God without question. The truth is they're more similar than you think.
Yea they are similar, I don't think they're completely brainwashed or anything... It's more we just have certain things we 'just' believe in and it truely takes some deep scrutiny to break through our misconceptions. This is true about racism, politics, etc... That's why I believe so many people change at uni, they are truely challenged and exposed to new ideas.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
A lot of people believe in god because the idea that there is no god, and therefore all existence is ultimately pointless is too depressing a thought for them. And so they cling to this faith in god in their search for meaning and purpose.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
i believe in God...

not for justice, or moral things... far out... not being a christian would be so much easier... so much more... i could just go out with whomever i liked... have my own rules... set my own moral standards etc...

the reason i believe in God, the reason i would give my life for Him...
is Him... He opened my heart... it is nothing i did... He graciously did it and thats basically why i believe beyond all shadow of a doubt...

He chose me, out of mercy, not cause i am any better than any one else...absolutely not...
and is this fair?
Paul writes:
"What then shall we say? Is God unjst?
Not at all!
For He says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom i will have mercy,
and i will have compassion on whom i will have compassion." Romans 9:14-15

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
not for justice, or moral things... far out... not being a christian would be so much easier... so much more... i could just go out with whomever i liked... have my own rules... set my own moral standards etc...
What? You really think that is 'easier'? It becomes a much more complicated ball game when nothing is truely right and wrong.

the reason i believe in God, the reason i would give my life for Him...
is Him... He opened my heart... it is nothing i did... He graciously did it and thats basically why i believe beyond all shadow of a doubt...
Yea but that's just stupid, you believe because you believe... congratulations - that's not an answer.

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What? You really think that is 'easier'? It becomes a much more complicated ball game when nothing is truely right and wrong.

Yea but that's just stupid, you believe because you believe... congratulations - that's not an answer.
... but i dont believe blindly either... i see the universe and the creation and i dont see how anyone could credit that to anyone but God... and the things of Jesus... the life He lead... no evidence says that Jesus did not come and die, and many people outside the bible such as Joesphus are testimony's to His living... just theres so many different things- research it all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)