Does God exist? (9 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Garygaz said:
Science is fucked. So many laws and theorems and so many exceptions here and there. I've lurked around wikipedia and what not to find out as much as I can about the big bang (although most of it was in complex scientific theorem talk) and have found the following. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Energy (which has always existed) went through some complex process to create original matter which then expanded and what not to explode and create the universe and everything in it, which is still expanding to this day. The big bang was the beginning of time.

I know I've said it to Slidey before, but, damn, the idea of energy ALWAYS being existent is pretty mind boggling. Every single thing in the universe has a predecessor except energy, a singularity exempt from the other rules of science. Ahhhh that's why I'm not doing science.
Why don't you start at the beginning?

Nobody wants to do that, they just want the end result, they want to know what the fundamental particles & forces are and how the universe began

Well of course it's going to sound outrageous if you do that

You should start at the start, pick up a text book on mechanics and another one on waves/electromagnetism, educate yourself before saying things like science is fucked.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Lentern said:
My self delusion. My good man I do not pretend to be able to explain it all. It is you whom think that a theory which involves basing it on a scintilla more facts, and in reality that's what it is. Considering the incredible complexity involved in the formula the added scientific calculations which you use make up a scintilla of what is neccessary to understand it all. The difference is whilst you delude yourself into thinking your religion rational and sensible, I accept that there are elements the human mind just can't get it's head around. But ofcourse I'm the one in lala land not you.
Same for you

Lentern

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Same for you
Errm, my friend there is some difficult in saying "same for you" when there was actually reflection in the original statement.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Lentern said:
My self delusion. My good man I do not pretend to be able to explain it all. It is you whom think that a theory which involves basing it on a scintilla more facts, and in reality that's what it is. Considering the incredible complexity involved in the formula the added scientific calculations which you use make up a scintilla of what is neccessary to understand it all. The difference is whilst you delude yourself into thinking your religion rational and sensible, I accept that there are elements the human mind just can't get it's head around. But ofcourse I'm the one in lala land not you.
I'm sorry but you're dismissing something rather arrogantly which you honestly imo haven't even begun to show a propensity to engage in a proper dialogue with. You truthfully have no idea, even less than those of us that have read some popular science texts and googled.

Garygaz

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Why don't you start at the beginning?

Nobody wants to do that, they just want the end result, they want to know what the fundamental particles & forces are and how the universe began

Well of course it's going to sound outrageous if you do that

You should start at the start, pick up a text book on mechanics and another one on waves/electromagnetism, educate yourself before saying things like science is fucked.
When i said it was fucked, i didn't say it in a way meaning it was bs, merely ridiculously complex. Educating myself takes too long, I've got other HSC subjects to worry about ;) care to give me a quick rundown? :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Lentern said:
I accept that current science is not complete, but I can see how it can all come together to describe this world. Each day some new discovery justifies this 'faith' a litte more.

But you see that human understanding of science isn't complete yet, then you resist attempts to see how science explains things, and instead jump to the conclusion of a supernatural entity to explain all the unknowns. Each day you have one less unknown, chipping away at your supernatural entity a little more.

You're not the first person to make this mistake, and you won't be the last.

If you come back with a half-decent background in science, I'll still be here, willing to discuss the universe with you.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Garygaz said:
When i said it was fucked, i didn't say it in a way meaning it was bs, merely ridiculously complex. Educating myself takes too long, I've got other HSC subjects to worry about ;) care to give me a quick rundown? :)
right

well we can't be experts in everything (e.g. i know nothing about chemistry...)
but that doesn't mean you can give some paraphrasing of a simplified explanation that you don't rly understand and say "that's ridiculous so it can't be real" as a serious argument, lol

at least acknowledge that serious work goes into this stuff and people don't just make it up

Shoubadoo

HSC
Kwayera said:
Healed? Miracles? 'splain.
This friend of mine had a cerebral palsy in her knees and feet.
She was at this Christian event called Planet Shakers or something, and the preacher said that if people wanted healing, to look at the spot they wanted healing have faith and he would pray out loud for them (there were thousands of people there).
She looked at her knees, which turned inwards, while he prayed, and they were completely healed. Her feet were slightly healed, also, but because she'd focused most of her attention on the knees, they got the best deal.
Now she doesn't have to wear the supports for her knees, and has cut down on the special shoe implants for her feet.

Another friend of mine, she's a preacher, was talking to a woman who was deaf in one ear. She suddenly felt, as she said 'god' told her to heal this woman, so she put her hands over the woman's ears and prayed. When she took her hands off the woman could hear.

I've seen heaps more stuff as well, but yeah.
Despite seeing all these things, I began doubting my faith (I was Christian) because of things in the other post you read.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Actually, some forms of cerebral palsy only affect a certain number of limbs ...

But it wouldn't be the knees specifically...so you know...no

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
She was at this Christian event called Planet Shakers or something, and the preacher said that if people wanted healing, to look at the spot they wanted healing have faith and he would pray out loud for them (there were thousands of people there).
She looked at her knees, which turned inwards, while he prayed, and they were completely healed. Her feet were slightly healed, also, but because she'd focused most of her attention on the knees, they got the best deal.
Now she doesn't have to wear the supports for her knees, and has cut down on the special shoe implants for her feet.

Another friend of mine, she's a preacher, was talking to a woman who was deaf in one ear. She suddenly felt, as she said 'god' told her to heal this woman, so she put her hands over the woman's ears and prayed. When she took her hands off the woman could hear.

Despite seeing all these things, I began doubting my faith (I was Christian) because of things in the other post you read.
So it was just a jump to the left... and a step to the right?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Shoubadoo said:

There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect, seeing what you want to see and coincidence.

As I have said previously, there has been no proven miracle or healing, medical or otherwise, ever. What you have said is not evidenciary proof to the contrary.

Garygaz

HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Sorry but you can't declare from ignorance that science is fucked. Just because people smarter/better educated than you have figured out theories that you can't fathom doesn't mean they're fucked.

Sorry sunshine but you're on your own on this one.
Umm... Learn to read? My 2nd post said that when I said fucked, I meant it in a way that it was extremely complex, e.g 'Man, *subject* is fucked, it's so hard to do.'

And yes, I can't completely fathom them because I don't do science and invest my time in the subject. Sorry for asking for a simple explanation. Fuck, some people who know a bit about science all of a sudden become fucking know it alls and elitists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)