• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Lentern said:
Can one of the other science advocates whom have since rejected my calling the atheists please second this. I want to see how many of you are so deep into lala land you think you have the formula to everything. The theories claimbed to be scientific are almost entirely speculative, you have a few pieces of evidence here and there, not much to go on but you've got an inkling where it goes so you make most of it up Arthur Evans style.
Oh, you people piss me off. You expect us to immediately have the answers to everything, visible, tangible proof, even when we're just developing the technology to explore what has been speculated mathematically. The mathematics is there, with various sound and solid explanations, that have yet to be empirically proven.

Mathematics explains pretty much everything (which is sad, because I hate maths).

Lentern

HSC
Exphate said:
Oh right, I get it now. Your Christian Superiority Complex is what causes your delusions.
Now you're being a child. I have deliberately made extended attempts not to bring my specific faith into it rather the notion of a higher power. Christianity has nothing to do with what I am discussing.

Lentern

HSC
Slidey said:
Like a day or two ago I repeatedly pointed out to him that science doesn't actually place his illogical fabricated bounds on reality, but he just kept ignoring it.

At one time he told me that the universe follows known, undeniable causal laws, so I directed him to radioactive decay and he silently skipped over it.
Because the example was wrong.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But.. you're still not getting it. There is nothing within any rational, and scientific, explanations of the universe that assumes, requires or even speculated the need for a higher power, God, Celestial Teapot, Flying Spaghetti Monster or otherwise.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
An
Lentern said:
Because the example was wrong.
No, it wasn't, and if you knew anything about the philosophical or scientific nature of causality, you'd know that.

Your word play won't make you right.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
But.. you're still not getting it. There is nothing within any rational, and scientific, explanations of the universe that assumes, requires or even speculated the need for a higher power, God, Celestial Teapot, Flying Spaghetti Monster or otherwise.
I disagree with the rational thing I think christianity is rational, but just cos science can not explain something it does not mean that it can not exist or we don't need it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I disagree with the rational thing I think christianity is rational, but just cos science can not explain something it does not mean that it can not exist or we don't need it.
Well, it kind of does mean it doesn't exist, because science doesn't pick or choose, really.

But you're right in the sense that religion can be rational, philosophically.

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Christianity is RATIONAL?!?! ahahahaha

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Well, it kind of does mean it doesn't exist, because science doesn't pick or choose, really.

But you're right in the sense that religion can be rational, philosophically.
but just because no one has been able to prove that it does exist it does not mean that it is not there. Even though science doesn't pick and choose.

Nobody can prove a higher being does not exist either.

Lentern

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hi :)
Why was the example wrong?
Because we've been unable to predict when the atom will decay it means it is totally random without cause? Or we're just ignorant to the cause.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I don't mind if people use gods to explain something we don't currently understand. Fair enough. Humans have been doing that since forever.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but just because no one has been able to prove that it does exist it does not mean that it is not there. Even though science doesn't pick and choose.

Nobody can prove a higher being does not exist either.
Well the thing about higher beings is that no one will ever be able to prove their existence either way, so believing in one is irrational.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Well the thing about higher beings is that no one will ever be able to prove their existence either way, so believing in one is irrational.
See i think believing in one is irrational, why not believe in one?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
scarybunny said:
I don't mind if people use gods to explain something we don't currently understand. Fair enough. Humans have been doing that since forever.
I don't agree with that at all. It encourages the "well God did it, that's that" mentality, which further encourages the "well God did it, and it's blasphemy to try and explain it otherwise". Which has also happened throughout history, to our detriment :p

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
Im confused????
EDIT:You think its irrational emy , but you think why not believe it? huh?

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
...what?

Why expend the energy believing in something that, in all likelihood, doesn't exist? Pascal's Wager is no answer here.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
...what?

Why expend the energy believing in something that, in all likelihood, doesn't exist? Pascal's Wager is no answer here.
it must depend on personal experience.
See i think that God does exist because things that have happened in my life i put down to God, my prayers are consistantly answered, and i can see him changing my life and others lives. Who else could be doing that. I have seen people with a firm disbelief come to know God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)