Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Garygaz

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
you're only assuming there has to be a catalyst, it's this train of thought that is the be all and end all for many religious people. ie, god must've done it
Not a catalyst in so much as a reason, but a how. Energy creating everything we see, think, hear and know. Energy has always existed. But for energy to always exist it in itself is breaking the law of every other scientific property. Maybe energy is God?

HalcyonSky

HSC
Garygaz said:
Not a catalyst in so much as a reason, but a how. Energy creating everything we see, think, hear and know. Energy has always existed. But for energy to always exist it in itself is breaking the law of every other scientific property. Maybe energy is God?
you high mate?

ktinn

HSC
What did people believe in before the years 0 - 30 AD? (something like that i think)
You had your pagans, Greeks and Egyptians and what not all believing in polytheistic religions - so if you take the bible seriously that means that because they didn't believe in 'God' (they had no idea of even knowing) did they all go to hell? What about all the communities across the world today where children are born into other religions such as Islam, Buddha and the voodoo? Do they go to hell also? for simply being ignorant of 'God' ?

HSC
Garygaz said:
Pass the bong, bro.

danpayne

HSC
As harsh as it sounds, yeah, being ignorant of God is just another way of ignoring him altogether. Thats why the 'christian' mission statement is to "spread the gospel" around the world, so that people wont have to live in ignorance. As for the idea that they had nothing to believe in previous to 30AD, thats what the new and o,d testament is. Previous to 0-30AD, they believed in everything in the old testament.

It makes a bit of sense once you look into it after a while
And just for the record... god definatley exists.

Dis Amrahs

HSC
Garygaz said:
I'm with garygaz. Dig that. I wouldnt call it god though, i dont really believe in the neccessity of the 'god' construct.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
danpayne said:
As harsh as it sounds, yeah, being ignorant of God is just another way of ignoring him altogether. Thats why the 'christian' mission statement is to "spread the gospel" around the world, so that people wont have to live in ignorance. As for the idea that they had nothing to believe in previous to 30AD, thats what the new and o,d testament is. Previous to 0-30AD, they believed in everything in the old testament.

lol.
And what proof can you provide to back up your statement that "God definitely exists"?

And what about before the Old Testament?
The Hebrew Bible was compiled over centuries. The Ten Commandments only existed with the creation of Exodus, which wasn't the first book. So what of the people before the book of Exodus? Did the commandment of "There is only one God, and thou shalt worship him alone" not exist?

danpayne

HSC
First of all, i believe that only a fool can look around himself and believe that there is no grand designer for everything that exists, there is no possible way that the universe or even we would be alive if it wernt "meant 2 be" for want of a better term. As for proof, i cant offer physical evidence it is more a "believe then see" situation for me, i know how my life changed and thats all i can offer.
The old testament runs from the beginning of time. Gensis even said that god created the heavens and the earth. initially there was no possible doubt that God existed because Adam and Eve walked in the Garden with him everyday, leaving no form of doubt to the existence of one God who deserved to be followed.
When Sin entered into the world, thanks Eve, the truth became distorted and God didnt show himself daily anymore, leading to people doubting his entire existence. That leads us to Moses recieving the The commandments on the mountain.

Think thats about it lol

HSC
danpayne said:

What about before the old testament?

WHAT ABOUT THEN?

HSC
danpayne said:
First of all, i believe that only a fool can look around himself and believe that there is no grand designer for everything that exists, there is no possible way that the universe or even we would be alive if it wernt "meant 2 be" for want of a better term. As for proof, i cant offer physical evidence it is more a "believe then see" situation for me, i know how my life changed and thats all i can offer.
The old testament runs from the beginning of time. Gensis even said that god created the heavens and the earth. initially there was no possible doubt that God existed because Adam and Eve walked in the Garden with him everyday, leaving no form of doubt to the existence of one God who deserved to be followed.
When Sin entered into the world, thanks Eve, the truth became distorted and God didnt show himself daily anymore, leading to people doubting his entire existence. That leads us to Moses recieving the The commandments on the mountain.

Think thats about it lol
Personally I think only a credulous fool would accept those idiotic biblical myths, those idiotic scribblings of shepherds that basically amount to poorly written Jehova fanfic. Things only have the meaning you ascribe to them.

danpayne

HSC
Thats cool, your entilted to your own opinion, I still belive the bible stories.
But like i said, there was no "before" the old testament, the old testament, starts at the beginning of New earth. there was no before hand.

"youBROKEmyLIFE" go nuts and call me a credulous fool, i gonna win in the end mate

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
danpayne said:
Argument from complexity is not an argument for intelligent design. If anything it's argument against it. Do you think an engineer builds something with complexity in mind? Does he purposely try to make it as hard to understand as possible?
However, complexity can be explained by evolution, as, over the course of billions of years and many twists and turns on the way, one can get something as complex as life on Earth today.
Also, please do not refer to the majority of the scientific community as "fools". They are vastly more intelligent than you will ever be.

When Sin entered into the world, thanks Eve, the truth became distorted and God didnt show himself daily anymore, leading to people doubting his entire existence. That leads us to Moses recieving the The commandments on the mountain
Yes, after Adam and Eve humanity lost touch with God, but is it their fault when they're brought up in a Yahweh-free environment? The people before Abraham didn't know anything of God. There was no-one telling them that God was there. Even after Abraham, very few would have heard of his ideas and beliefs. Polytheism was still rampant.
So we get back to the original question: Would these people have been sent to hell, even though they hadn't been told anything about god or his rules, and therefore didn't have the opportunity to consciously choose for or against his presence?

EDIT: Original question is here http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3849081&postcount=11399

Last edited:
HSC
danpayne said:
Thats cool, your entilted to your own opinion, I still belive the bible stories.
But like i said, there was no "before" the old testament, the old testament, starts at the beginning of New earth. there was no before hand.

"youBROKEmyLIFE" go nuts and call me a credulous fool, i gonna win in the end mate
No, the fact is that you don't *know*.

EDIT: 'Win'? What the fuck is wrong with you

danpayne

HSC
Agreed, complexity does not neccessarily mean grand desing, but it does suggest intelligence far greater then we can imagine.
Once again, im not referring to the scientific community as fools, perhaps alot of them fail to adhere to there own logic, but that dosnt suggest that they are uneducated.
the age old question, if they dont know then how can they make the decision, i said earlier that the purpose for a christian was to go and "preach the gospel to all nations"... MOST people get a chance to hear the gospel at least once in their lives, wheather it be for a breif or extended period of time... although, i dont wanna seem like one of those christian fanatics who stand on a strett corner and tells people they are going to hell, the truth is, someone has not decided to follow god, then there is only one place for them to go... you dont wanna go there, for the record...

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
danpayne said:
Agreed, complexity does not neccessarily mean grand desing, but it does suggest intelligence far greater then we can imagine.
Once again, im not referring to the scientific community as fools, perhaps alot of them fail to adhere to there own logic, but that dosnt suggest that they are uneducated.
the age old question, if they dont know then how can they make the decision, i said earlier that the purpose for a christian was to go and "preach the gospel to all nations"... MOST people get a chance to hear the gospel at least once in their lives, wheather it be for a breif or extended period of time... although, i dont wanna seem like one of those christian fanatics who stand on a strett corner and tells people they are going to hell, the truth is, someone has not decided to follow god, then there is only one place for them to go... you dont wanna go there, for the record...
No, it doesn't mean an intelligence far greater than we can imagine. The biblical theory is intelligent design, as one concept. Complexity doesn't just debunk half the theory name and leave the other half untouched, it proves wrong the basis of the entire theory, intelligence and design.
The scientist's logic is what makes them smarter than you. And hence not fools. They see a problem or a question and try to solve it. You just say Goddidit.
Oh i don't know. Hell doesn't sound that bad. Just a place without God. It'd be like living my normal life again, but for all eternity. It'd be fun.

danpayne

HSC
Let me give you a quick run down of hell

The bible says hell is a lake of unquenchable fire where your constantly being burnt, yet not dying... there are worms that eat your flech for all eternity hunger that can never be satisfied, demons permantley tormenting you, screams that never stop, no such thing as sleep..
Yeah i can see what you mean buddy, sounds like a blast (note the sarcasm)

in no way did i even suggest that half the concept of intelligent design should be left out, but i am sugesting that in order for intelligent design to exist, then there must be a form of intelligence that surpasses all worldy intelligence, leading me to the conclusion that there is ONE greater intelligence, therefore, God. The design part should be a granted, when an intelligence of that standard exists, why not create something as intricate as earth and its inhabitants...

HalcyonSky

HSC
Any apparent christian fundamentalists are to automatically be assumed as trolls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)