Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I personally believe we should have a secret police with the power to detain indefinately and break you for questioning the authority of the Vatican.
What a brilliant idea... if it was the 12th century, perhaps?

cookie.banana

Banned
HSC
JUST BECAUSE YOU SAY HE EXISTS

DOESN'T MAKE IT TRUE

it's all optimism and wishful thinking

i bet the bible was the harry poter of its time

and it got so misinterpreted people mistake it for actual history, where a large, invisible, all knowing guy got bored one day after sitting in the universe for all eternity and said "let there be light" (who got that direct quote anyway?)

and bam

evolution didn't happen?
uh oh children

boris

Banned
HSC
That is the dumbest idea ever put forward by anyone on bos.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
It would be brilliant now.

People these days do too much 'thinking'. But you see, there is a difference between the unsureness of 'reason' and the certainty of belief.

'Reason' is a contrast to your primordial purpose - to worship God through obeying his commandments and practising right relationship between oneself, one's neighbour and God.

I think mankind would be better off if we ceded all rights and freedoms to the Papacy, chosen by Christ as the 'rock' of the church.
I do hope you are fucking joking or trying to make fun of us. This is just batshit insane my dear.

hsb39

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
It would be brilliant now.

People these days do too much 'thinking'. But you see, there is a difference between the unsureness of 'reason' and the certainty of belief.

'Reason' is a contrast to your primordial purpose - to worship God through obeying his commandments and practising right relationship between oneself, one's neighbour and God.

I think mankind would be better off if we ceded all rights and freedoms to the Papacy, chosen by Christ as the 'rock' of the church.
Sure thing. I might note to you that the Bible says that God gave us the freedom to chose and the ability to believe ans disbelieve, and what you are proposing is to take away that. Way to be Christian.

Oh, and Boris, just because that doesn't seem extreme enough for the dumbest idea on BoS. How about we do what he said, but with Scientology.

boris

Banned
HSC
It wasn't really the dumbest idea, obviously.

But way to rain on our human rights, catholic church.

HSC
boris said:
It wasn't really the dumbest idea, obviously.

But way to rain on our human rights, catholic church.
'Human rights' comes from the concept of natural law - that there is a divine law above the powers of the state to remove. So you can thank the Catholic church that you in fact have any rights.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
'Human rights' comes from the concept of natural law - that there is a divine law above the powers of the state to remove. So you can thank the Catholic church that you in fact have any rights.
No. Morality (and from that, human rights) evolved from our evolutionary genetic heritage of altruism (both from kin selection and secondary sexual selection).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
cookie.banana said:
it's all optimism and wishful thinking
A brief moment of clarity! That's what this whole debate is about - optimism and negativity, love and hate, life and death.
Stand for life
Stand for love
Stand for Christ.

HSC
Kwayera said:
No. Morality (and from that, human rights) evolved from our evolutionary genetic heritage of altruism (both from kin selection and secondary sexual selection).
No, you're fucking wrong, because for centuries common and civil legal systems have been dictated by canon law. To deny the role of religion in the development of society is ludicrous.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
No, you're fucking wrong, because for centuries common and civil legal systems have been dictated by canon law. To deny the role of religion in the development of society is ludicrous.
Does religion develop society or society develop religion?? LOL

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Haha wow...you're arguing against someone who does science in University, nice job.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Oh, so canon law that has been developed for centuries somehow trumps millions of years of evolution when it comes to what developed morality?

Yeah. Sure, buddy. You're just one of those that is typically loathe to think that human behaviour is largely dictated by genes.

HSC
Kwayera said:
Oh, so canon law that has been developed for centuries somehow trumps millions of years of evolution when it comes to what developed morality?

Yeah. Sure, buddy. You're just one of those that is typically loathe to think that human behaviour is largely dictated by genes.
In summary, your arguement is that the intricacies of Western law systems are in no way influenced by Hebrew or Canon law?

boris

Banned
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
She does marine science. I'm sure that makes her a historical authority on the place of the church in the development of Western Society.

Idiot.
No you're wrong. We've had this argument before. Religion was borne out of society not the other way around.

Edit: And cannon law wasn't influenced by previous religions? And they weren't influenced by previous religions? And they weren't influenced by a evolved sense of morality? How did these religions recieve their morality if not for the inbuilt instincts of right and wrong in all people? This is assuming religion is a man made thing, which it quite obviously is.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
How can you assert something like that?
Unless youre keeping 'spirituality' distinct from religion?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
In summary, your arguement is that the intricacies of Western law systems are in no way influenced by Hebrew or Canon law?
Of course they're influenced by it, but that doesn't mean Hebrew/Canon law themselves weren't influenced by what our genes tell us.

Altruism and parochial altruism are the basis of human morality. Are you denying this?

HSC
boris said:
No you're wrong. We've had this argument before. Religion was borne out of society not the other way around.
Are you slow? your point is completely irrelevant. I am argueing that the church, to a great extent, has influenced the development of Western law systems.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I am argueing that the church, to a great extent, has influenced the development of Western law systems.
What I'd argue is that in such a case it was our genetics, to a great extent, which influenced the development of the church's ethos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)