• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
NTB: Wheter they have been properly investigated or not, they are happening, and people are afraid to investigate it. Not my problem if its happening it happens.
Wtf do you mean? All proper examination of such claims has lead to NOTHING that is why you will never see anything published in 'nature' about such claims because it's all utter and complete BS. Stop believing and start investigating you tool. By the way I am not in any way afraid to investigate it, if you know someone who has super-natural powers then I can assist you.

The biggest evidence towards the fact that GOD exists, lies in the vast variety of religions and their similarities- that is they believe in the supernatural. whether its written by human or a monkey is irrelevant, because, a human wrote a dictionary and u believe it!
That's terrible evidence! The ammount of people that believe in something really doesn't help your cause.

u realise, that if it wasnt for religion then life would have been chaos.
life has been and is still chaos!

Religion has existed ever since humans have existed, and this precisely why GOD could exist. FOr instance most of our laws, morals etc have derived from relgion.
Most of our morals/laws have derived from our ancestry (human beings have evolved to be social animals, like monkeys, chimps etc... thus we have biologically wired into us emotions such as 'empathy'. Our morals and laws are not derived from religion, the religion and the morals are derived from our biology.

Last edited:
HSC
HotShot said:
The biggest evidence towards the fact that GOD exists, lies in the vast variety of religions and their similarities- that is they believe in the supernatural. whether its written by human or a monkey is irrelevant, because, a human wrote a dictionary and u believe it!

u realise, that if it wasnt for religion then life would have been chaos. Religion has existed ever since humans have existed, and this precisely why GOD could exist. FOr instance most of our laws, morals etc have derived from relgion.

NTB: Wheter they have been properly investigated or not, they are happening, and people are afraid to investigate it. Not my problem if its happening it happens.
No thats human nature - the fact that so many religions exist. Religion has not existed as long as humans have existed, religions are human constructs.

People like to believe that there is something more going on than what can be seen and make irrational statements to support this view. This is purely because they cannot understand what is going on in the outside world. An example of this would be how Ancient Civilisations before the Egyptian civilisation used to worship many God's eg Rain, Wind, Sun etc and had special ways of pleasing the Gods. This sort of behaviour can be seen in the Roman as well as Greeks who all believed that they were right.

Now what is to say that are current religious beliefs are correct? All of the Anicent religions are now referred to as Mythology and as a society we generally believe that we know better. But is this really the case - in regards to religion? Are we just fooling ourselves with our beliefs that in the future will probably be scoffed at? Who's to say these religions will last or indeed civilisation as we know it?

And for my last word -
HotShot said:
... because, a human wrote a dictionary and u believe it!
A dictionary is also based on another human construct, language, but it is more believable because it is based on words we speak in our language which is something tangible or real. It is simply a way of telling people how to spell in our own language. It is not a bunch of stories aimed at attempting to make us believe in a certain set of beliefs!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Jameswilmot2000 said:
A dictionary is also based on another human construct, language, but it is more believable because it is based on words we speak in our language which is something tangible or real. It is simply a way of telling people how to spell in our own language. It is not a bunch of stories aimed at attempting to make us believe in a certain set of beliefs!
hmm.. so ur saying that bible is not unbelievable and yet it has a billion believers?
i think religion has existed ever since humans have existed, because there is archaelogically evidence of 'mythology'.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What does that matter?
Religion has existed ever since humans have existed because we have a conscious and with that we have questions and we don't always have the answers .... so we make a basic inference that appears to work quite good. We did pretty good throughout the ages using some basic logic... i.e. sometimes when we danced it rained, other times the gods were angry at us but sometimes then when we gave a sacrafice it would rain. Of course however modern science has moved this logic to a completely new level.

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:

u realise, that if it wasnt for religion then life would have been chaos. Religion has existed ever since humans have existed, and this precisely why GOD could exist. FOr instance most of our laws, morals etc have derived from relgion.

who wrote dictionaries? humans. who abides by dictionaries? humans.
who wrote the Bible? humans. who abides by the Bible? humans.

no. when we had no laws we had to use religion to justify regulations. now that we are more civilised and we can disciplin ourselfs without the threat of eternal suffering in us we use more sencible things, like jail. get my drift? why no sex before mariage? do you really think that sort of thing is relevent now? humas derived laws, and as you say, they are familiar to religious cannon... am i leading you somewere? laws = cannon because they all came from the same place! us!

God doesnt exist, its just a description, not a being, thats taking it too far.

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:
hmm.. so ur saying that bible is not unbelievable and yet it has a billion believers?
i think religion has existed ever since humans have existed, because there is archaelogically evidence of 'mythology'.
wat drugs are you on? "Mythology"?

me: oh Zeus, forgive me. ive been like bad and stuff. accept this goat.
zeus: no! you die now.
me: i should have believed....

What the Hell are you on about? you know what? i give up. refine your argument. realise that the mere fact that we once killed and died for Gods, but now think is hogwash (which i hope you do) means religion is a human construct of the mind and emotions. as is God! ahhh! getting worked up over religion :(

felixcthecat

HSC
HotShot said:
u realise, that if it wasnt for religion then life would have been chaos.
it may prove that religion is beneficial in many societies... but what does that hav to do with whether God exists?

Zayd

HSC
u fail to understand your existance in this world. You have no purpose in life. If you believe achieving success in life is in the form of wealth, happiness, family, etc. then you dont have an ever lasting purpose because all that goes away as soon as you die.
Firstly you need to know and believe that God exists. There is a story that i know of, which goes by a group of men wanting to know if god exists or not, just like you. These men went to Muslim scholar and asked him to prove to them God exists andf they will convert to Islam. This scholar gave them the following example:
A huge ship carrying thousands of passengers was sailing from port to port dropping off and picking up passenger. However this ship was sailing without a sailer.
The group of men interrupted saying that is impossible for a ship to sail without a sailer, how can a ship sail, without someone controlling it.

This is when the logic comes in.......
If a simple man made ship cannot sail wihout someone controlling it......then who is controlling this earth we live on which is beyond human control?

Going to the worshipping part of your question.....
Muslims beleive this world to be a test. Just like a test for maths or english. If you study you will pass, if you dont study you will fail. Pretty logic isnt it. Thats exactly why muslims worship, as we have been told through the Quran that if we worship God, the controller, we will pass.

Now you might ask what will we pass?
Life cannot be just living and then dieing, there has to be a reason for our existance in this world. That's when the purpose of life comes into act. Living for success through the achievement of wealth, family, hapiness,etc cannot be a purpose for life. Because that will all end one day. So then what is the purpose of life? The purpose of life is basically to worship God. This is why Muslims believe everything we experience is a test from God. Even little this such as having the ability to make money? the test for that is how we use that money, how we distribute that money, what we spent it on, etc. This is all accounted as worshipping God. Worshipping God is not only bowing down and preying to him, everything you do or experience is a test from god, and it is upto you if you practise it by worshipping God by thanking him to be given the ability to achieve or do something, that others may not have.

Mongke

HSC
Zayd said:
u fail to understand your existance in this world. You have no purpose in life......
please dont. we all know about gravity. and of corse you can have purpose in life without God. in South Africa we would say "youre looking for shit."

close thread.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Mongke said:
please dont. we all know about gravity. and of corse you can have purpose in life without God. in South Africa we would say "youre looking for shit."

close thread.
lol, wats ur purpose in life without god?

in south africa i would say ur shit!

lol, gravity is just explanation why things fall down, by newton. IT doesnt prove that god doesnt exist.

he is trying to say that, without god nothing would have been created!

volition

arr.
HSC
Zayd said:
The group of men interrupted saying that is impossible for a ship to sail without a sailer, how can a ship sail, without someone controlling it.
Your argument falls victim to the problem of infinite regression. If something as simple as a ship REQUIRES something to control it, then doesn't that mean there needs to be something controlling God/Allah and someone controlling this entity, and so on and so on for eternity?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
volition said:
Your argument falls victim to the problem of infinite regression. If something as simple as a ship REQUIRES something to control it, then doesn't that mean there needs to be something controlling God/Allah and someone controlling this entity, and so on and so on for eternity?
god is supernatural, creator of all things, and thus he need not be controlled. our human brains cannot cope with this.

-just kiddin, course it can, tats why there are believers, preists, monks, imams, rabbis, etc.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Those who believe in religion are no different from those who believed that aliens had abducted them except that aliens are more believeable.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
god is supernatural, creator of all things, and thus he need not be controlled. our human brains cannot cope with this.

-just kiddin, course it can, tats why there are believers, preists, monks, imams, rabbis, etc.
so really, you say that there is a case that must always be true, that everythign needs soemthign to control it, then say taht at some level, because you say so, that rule no longer applies

Mongke

HSC
HotShot said:
lol, wats ur purpose in life without god?

in south africa i would say ur shit!

lol, gravity is just explanation why things fall down, by newton. IT doesnt prove that god doesnt exist.

he is trying to say that, without god nothing would have been created!
case in point, close thread.

Zayd

HSC
my advice to you is study all religions, dont look at the people of the religion, because i can confidently say on behalf of all religions that there are very few role models from each religion. So don't judge a car by its look, but look into the religion(s), and you will find alot of answers for your existance in the world.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Zayd said:
my advice to you is study all religions, dont look at the people of the religion, because i can confidently say on behalf of all religions that there are very few role models from each religion. So don't judge a car by its look, but look into the religion(s), and you will find alot of answers for your existance in the world.
Zayd - I think you'll find alot of atheists/agnostics/skeptics actually know quite a bit about all religions... and they're all essentially the same (that i've heard of so far) - a belief in some supernatural bs that has no credence in reality.

Last edited:

Mongke

HSC
Zayd said:
thank you!! :) the thing is tho, i already have the answers to the world. you see, i find it more fun to attempt to discover the answers using my brain and reason. i dont mind that theres stuff i dont know, i can accept that in my lifetime there are things ill never understand fully, i just put that down to a lack of technology and imagination.

Zayd

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Zayd - I think you'll find alot of atheists/agnostics/skeptics actually know quite a bit about all religions... and they're all essentially the same (that i've heard of so far) - a belief in some supernatural bs that has no credence in reality.
Quite a bit is not enough. Understand it from top to bottom, then make a decision. Thats like judging a car without actually looking at all of its features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)