• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
You can't claim that because there is no solid evidence for belief that it's most likely wrong...because at the same time there is no solid evidence for not-believing.
This is true. The one fact that does change in either case is that there is a lack of concrete evidence, that one can neither prove nor disprove God at the present time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen
Irish eyes are smiling, yada Ya bla LA la al
Cause when IRISH EEEYES are SMIIIIIIIIiiiiikLING
It ya la Al la LAAAA -EWyeyeeee-ya YAAA
la la luu lala
La lu LA laa LAAA la la
La la LAAA la LAAAA la LAAAARRRR LEEEN
lalalalala-lala

fangyou!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Iron what is your arts major?
It was politics, sweet cheeks
Now i'm through with all that. All that is left to me is the cold ashes of law.
I am slipping into madness w/o blood-boiling leftist lectures and open ended wankery tutes

I need you SP :(
Oiled up and nekkid

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What I don't get with regards to Christians in particular or religious people in general is that even when you agree that there is no evidence either way for the existence of any god - nothing tangible, nothing that actually proves anything - you still
a) persist in believing in a god and
b) persist in believing in that one in particular.

Quite apart from point a, point b is fascinating: how do you pick one from the pantheon? How do you justify that decision - how do you decide that your god is more likely and godlike than all the other gods that have ever existed, given there isn't any proof for any of them?

HSC
When we make love God is truly in the room :shy:

Edit: Directed at Kwayera of course. Not that Catholic Cumbucket

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Verily I say unto you, I sprayed my screen with baeer laughing at that

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What I don't get with regards to Christians in particular or religious people in general is that even when you agree that there is no evidence either way for the existence of any god - nothing tangible, nothing that actually proves anything - you still

Quite apart from point a, point b is fascinating: how do you pick one from the pantheon? How do you justify that decision - how do you decide that your god is more likely and godlike than all the other gods that have ever existed, given there isn't any proof for any of them?
Proof is such an ugly word, which imports all sorts of undesirable elements when talking of theology

Firstly, we believe in a spiritual sense - an instinct - call it the soul if you like, which tells us that we were created and gives us a rough idea of right and wrong.
This cannot be proven, but we all feel it strongly, across cultures -like, 95% of the world
Secondly, I admit that it's cultural, but I think that any shortfalls in Christianity spreading are the failings of Christians. We have very successful conversion rates among all peoples around the world. Where we have sought to be accomodating of harmless cultural ritual, we have flourished. The Christian story of love and redemption and creation and moral law are universal and strike men more fully than all other religions, admirable though they may be

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
In SP's fairly sluggish way of writing, I sense a mild weight problem.
But this does not deter me from seeking his supple jiggling folds for succulent xtacy

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
I really like this analogy and will use it to describe Christianity... God communicates telephatically, he shows himself - and those with faith are those who don't just ignore the telephatic voice, eventually filter other voices out to hear the voice better, and build a relationship with the person behind the voice, and later on, trust the voice, and follow it, and get to the ice cream.

On the other hand - unbelievers are those who hear the voice, filter it out, or "have doubts" to trust the voice and don't follow the instructions. They rationalize, they find other things, and find out that they can understand the world better than this telapathic voice they managed to drone out ages ago. They question those who follow the voice - "You're stupid, why are you following it? There is no proof" - and they would be right - there is no "proof"...except for those who tasted the ice cream, and came back to tell the other kids about it. Until of course, the kids who *think* they got the ice cream too come rushing and start telling other kids about it too!
Oh god. Please give us some credit. We aren't ignoring the voice. It just isn't there. That's it. That's all.

If God appeared in my room, flesh and bones, I can take pictures of him and all, I wouldn't ignore it. So why would I ignore the "telepathic" voice if it was there? Or do I have to call him out?

I mean, look, if you hear him, fine. But don't go and tell people that yes, yes! God is talking to them and that they "ignore" him. It may fit in your theological model, but you should have enough sense to realise that people usually know it when they ignore something. That ignoring is a conscious decision. And that when I tell you I am not ignoring God, I mean it. I think that you should take the actual evidence in consideration and consider that maybe God doesn't speak to everyone.

I mean, it's like if you saw a mermaid in the desert and then you insist that others must see her, because you see her. If they deny her existence they must be ignoring what they see! Give me a break. I don't see the damn mermaid, is it so hard to take my word for it?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
While I have you here moll, tommykins, what was the highest UAI at Caringbah last year?

HSC
Yes Christina, as Iron's fiancee it is for the best that you are made aware of his homosexual leanings. Iron has a part-time manstress.

Me!!2`1~4`

And fuck you cunt my writing style is both succinct and succulent.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes Christina, as Iron's fiancee it is for the best that you are made aware of his homosexual leanings. Iron has a part-time manstress.

Me!!2`1~4`

And fuck you cunt my writing style is both succinct and succulent.
Why thank you for making me aware of that. I'll spank him for being naughty.
SP are you trying to steal him??!

Adilis

HSC
i have a Question i wanted to ask.

Why Does God Want Us To Worship Him?

ok so you believe that he exists, and that he created us in someway or another. But why would he "test" our faith or make us go to church and prey.
Well he's got a heart with feelings. Imagine, you were the creator..and when you watch what you've created screw up the whole entire world...you feel sad, because this wasn't what you wanted. But God doesnt give up on us..he holds on to us no matter what, because he wants to share his love with us. He's testing us to see if we are willing to love him as much as he loves us. He doesnt make us go to church, or pray to him..we're encourage to talk to him..because its not fair how we don't give him enough credit for sticking with us through the hard times and yet alone creating us humans who continously sin against him.

I'm not a strong christian..trust me.. I don't pray every hour of every day. I dont always go to church. I don't worship him 24/7.
but it doesnt mean that i dont want to try to be closer to God. i'm just slacking off lately.

Lukybear

HSC

I thought i answered this earlier.

a) There is no tangible proof for reality either, yet you go on throught out everyday life normally. In the same way, logically, there is no proof for God. But spiritually, and intuitively, i feel God exists. "I feel therefore I believe."

b) Again, there isnt a true answer for this. But for me, and i cannot represent others out here, I feel His presence, and I've changed dramatically since I believed. It is amazingly wonderful, to believe in God the Christian God. Because of this feeling, intuition, I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)