Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

idkkdi

HSC
Well as far as I know from the religions that I have studied, God is considered a being(or spirit). There are many different interpretations of these and all of which are different.

Really the idea of there being a 'God' by the definition of a being(or spirit) is not at all proven due to what it takes to prove something in the world of Science. It is nothing but a theory and one can not say that theory is certainly right(or wrong) but it cannot just be accepted and said right when there is absolutely no evidence to suggest so. The bible is not evidence because it is a man made creation.
You guys are overcomplicating this topic. If god exists, so what? If god doesn't exist, so what? Who gives a sht?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
You guys are overcomplicating this topic. If god exists, so what? If god doesn't exist, so what? Who gives a sht?
If God exists in the form of a being(or spirit) it will completely destroy everything as we know it. Our perceptions of Physics and of the Universe will completely change. Yeah it doesn't really matter but I have yet to meet anyone who convinces me that a God in the form I have described exists.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
The large majority of people aren't really aware of the historical signifiance of the bible - they think it's just a book that could've been manipulated through time, and have no understanding of how the bible actually came about to be. The bible is a set of manuscripts, no different than historical texts that we use to teach history at school - e.g. there are many historical events that correspond to events in the bible. There is a significant amount of evidence outside of the bible that Jesus existed as a man, and was crucified (historians generally agree that Jesus existed and was crucified, as he is referenced in a significant amount of both Jewish and Roman literature from the time period when he was alive). The question is not whether he existed and died, but whether Jesus was who he claimed he was, i.e. whether he rose from the dead. While the Bible is not definitive proof, it should be scrutinised under the same lense as any other historical text.

In regards to whether there is an all-powerful God, it is impossible to prove/disprove this. However, there is a lot of evidence of creation, such as fine tuning, the probability of life, etc, which are generally acknowledge by most scientists. There are counterarguments to these, such as a multiverse theory which attempts to explain away fine tuning and whatnot. In the end, you cannot prove/disprove it, much like you can't directly 100% prove that someone is guilty/innocent, as shown by the number of innocent people who get convicted. In the end, the evidence is there, and everyone needs to make their decision based on how convinced they are by the evidence. There are a lot of recognised scientists who believe in the existence of a God, which dispels the common misconception that science and religion are at odds.

I think it's ignorant when people based on nothing but blind faith. At the same time, I think it's ignorant when people don't believe without proper research and considering all the evidence first from an objective point of view. Philosophical arguments aren't really proof/disproof, and seem to just avoid the question altogether. E.g. questions like "why would God allow cancer" and the like are meaningless and sound entitled, since it arrogantly assumess that your morals are absolute, with the belief that God's morals should align with your limited understanding and perception of the world.

I think it's also inconsistent for those to only believe if they had 100% certainty. E.g. if you saw someone win the lottery 10x in a row, you would confidently say that they're cheating. You can't prove this, and there's always the miniscule chance that they're not, but if you had to make a decision, you would say that they were most definitely cheating and you'd probably be more than willing to put money on it. In the same way, people need to consider the evidence and make a choice based on that evidence alone, as they won't ever get 100% certainty. For example, the fine-tuning argument states that the probability of life occurring naturally is miniscule, like less-than-the-probability-of-winning-the-lottery-100x-consecutively miniscule (I'd encourage to reader to look at the arguments for and against this). The problem is that most people don't really look up the objective evidence and historical concensus, and rather fully rely on meaningless philsophical meandering to make their case. E.g. I'm sure most people aren't even aware that Jesus existence is accepted by historians. Contrary to popular belief, there is an abundance of evidence out there to analyze and critique, but in reality I think many people have already made up their minds based upon their own experiences and preconceptions about the world, and no amount of evidence short of the appearance of God incarnate can change that.

Last edited:

Pedro123

HSC
I love BOS for this reason - you got threads deeply discussing the fundamental question of earth by a man whose icon is batman in a flat cap and threads that have randoms like me so damn happy they proved their English teacher was an idiot. Never change. I also am an avid believer in Pascals Wager - that you lose very little if God is not real and you don't believe in him (Wasted time?) but you stand to lose literally anything if he is real and you don't believe in him.
EDIT: I apologise for the comment made about Batman in a flat cap. It is actually BLYATMAN smoking in his natural environment, a very well-know, avid and trustworthy member of this community.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
The large majority of people aren't really aware of the historical signifiance of the bible - they think it's just a book that could've been manipulated through time, and have no understanding of how the bible actually came about to be. The bible is a set of manuscripts, no different than historical texts that we use to teach history at school - e.g. there are many historical events that correspond to events in the bible. There is a significant amount of evidence outside of the bible that Jesus existed as a man, and was crucified (historians generally agree that Jesus existed and was crucified, as he is referenced in a significant amount of both Jewish and Roman literature from the time period when he was alive). The question is not whether he existed and died, but whether Jesus was who he claimed he was, i.e. whether he rose from the dead. While the Bible is not definitive proof, it should be scrutinised under the same lense as any other historical text.

In regards to whether there is an all-powerful God, it is impossible to prove/disprove this. However, there is a lot of evidence of creation, such as fine tuning, the probability of life, etc, which are generally acknowledge by most scientists. There are counterarguments to these, such as a multiverse theory which attempts to explain away fine tuning and whatnot. In the end, you cannot prove/disprove it, much like you can't directly 100% prove that someone is guilty/innocent, as shown by the number of innocent people who get convicted. In the end, the evidence is there, and everyone needs to make their decision based on how convinced they are by the evidence. There are a lot of recognised scientists who believe in the existence of a God, which dispels the common misconception that science and religion are at odds.

I think it's ignorant when people based on nothing but blind faith. At the same time, I think it's ignorant when people don't believe without proper research and considering all the evidence first from an objective point of view. Philosophical arguments aren't really proof/disproof, and seem to just avoid the question altogether. E.g. questions like "why would God allow cancer" and the like are meaningless and sound entitled, since it arrogantly assumess that your morals are absolute, with the belief that God's morals should align with your limited understanding and perception of the world.

I think it's also inconsistent for those to only believe if they had 100% certainty. E.g. if you saw someone win the lottery 10x in a row, you would confidently say that they're cheating. You can't prove this, and there's always the miniscule chance that they're not, but if you had to make a decision, you would say that they were most definitely cheating and you'd probably be more than willing to put money on it. In the same way, people need to consider the evidence and make a choice based on that evidence alone, as they won't ever get 100% certainty. For example, the fine-tuning argument states that the probability of life occurring naturally is miniscule, like less-than-the-probability-of-winning-the-lottery-100x-consecutively miniscule (I'd encourage to reader to look at the arguments for and against this). The problem is that most people don't really look up the objective evidence and historical concensus, and rather fully rely on meaningless philsophical meandering to make their case. E.g. I'm sure most people aren't even aware that Jesus existence is accepted by historians. Contrary to popular belief, there is an abundance of evidence out there to analyze and critique, but in reality I think many people have already made up their minds based upon their own experiences and preconceptions about the world, and no amount of evidence short of the appearance of God incarnate can change that.
Yep very true.

Someone rising from dead is an extraordinary matter and cannot be taken literally unless it is proven and there is no way to do so.

Just as you said, you can never prove if God actually exists or not so we can't take it that it does. It's wrong until proven right, not right until proven wrong, just like in court it's innocent until proven guilty not the other way around, am I right ;)

Also I'm really genuinely amazed how a lot of people have 100% faith in their religion since they're parents taught them about it. Not being rude here but just genuinely curious, like don't people question how or why? I grew up in a somewhat religious house hold and throughout all my childhood I would question anything and everything and no answer could ease my curiosity because it proved nothing for me personally, don't a lot of people feel this when questioning these sort of things?

Because of this I turned my head around to Science which I found a lot more satisfying in the sense that it admits what it does not know. I saw the power in a solid proof Mathematical or Physical and that was what I wanted with religion/god but never got.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Where did God come from if he created everything?
2. Why do diseases etc. still exist given an all-loving god?
3. Are you talking about a God which is not a "human god"?
4. Given that God doesn't concern himself with human matters, what would allow for us to say he exists?
5. Where would God have gotten his powers from? Did another God give him those powers? Paradox?
6. Does it really matter for us to concern ourselves with something that we can't know when there's actually important stuff at hand?
1 - this is actually an unsound & slightly illogical question/deduction. It presumes that God's existence/essence operates the same as the universe/ours (that he has a cause). (If X created God, then X is actually God, and then you can keep asking the same question)
From a purely philosophical rational standpoint, we can only determine that a creator must be powerful and must be eternal (meta-physical/outside of the scope of the universe) but also able to connect with this universe (to be able to create).

But to answer your question, where did God come from - from eternity.

2 - I cannot speak for other religions (I am a Christian). The underlying assumption is an all-loving God is obliged to get rid of suffering.
It is tied up with the problem of evil (or what is called sin) and the problem called death. That we are given over to death, because we rejceted the author of life. By extension this includes diseases.

Why do disease exist? Judgement for sin, as the world is under death.
Does God eventually deal with diseases? Yes, when Jesus returns, there is the problem of no more mourning or sickness (V day)
How? Because Jesus defeats death for those who trust Him, and so promises them a new body and a new (disease free) place when he returns.What is the guaranteed this will happen? The death & resurrection of Jesus (D day).

We saw a foretaste of this when Jesus healed diseases.

3 - There are only a couple of things we can determine about God purely from rationalism/philosophical means. The rest requires 'revelation' from this God himself.
1. The universe is big -> therefore the God that made the universe must be powerful and 'big' enough to create and conceptualise it (powerful)
2. The universe is not eternal -> Therefore the God must 'be' not in the bounds of time/space (transcedent).
3. The universe exists -> God connects with creation because otherwise creation of universe is not possible (immanent)

We cannot actually determine much other than the power or the essence (the eternal transcedence of God), without actually seeking the means by which said God has chosen to make himself known. Sure you can known some basic facts about him (see above), but

5 - see answer to question 1 & 3. In short, no, it is an irrational deduction about the essence of God.

4 & 6 - you are touching on the heart of the matter.

Your assumptions are:
- God doesn't concern himself with human matters.
- God is unknowable.

The early Christians (and Jews before then) claimed to have heard revelation from God and his voice, recorded as the words of God in the Bible.
(In the case of the early Christians, these were the words of Christ himself)

Now, regardless of how familar you are with it, this is probably one of the places to start, to go beyond the 3 conclusions from before. If you want to know God, you have to assess what those who fear him, claim is his book.

And one of the key things that is established, is the way by which God primarily interacts with his creation is by 'speaking'. And at this point, you leave the limits of rationalism, and philosophy, and you start delving into theology - the study of God and his attributes, as revealed in the Bible.

ultra908

HSC
Philosophical arguments aren't really proof/disproof, and seem to just avoid the question altogether. E.g. questions like "why would God allow cancer" and the like are meaningless and sound entitled, since it arrogantly assumess that your morals are absolute, with the belief that God's morals should align with your limited understanding and perception of the world.
I found this part rlly interesting- though I do think these arguments have alot of value. Regardless of god's existence, religions bring with them some form of philosophical position or moral standpoint. Surely if a religion is inconsistent or contradictory, this is of some concern. The nature of god thus is very important. Even if god existed, does that justify following such a god or their commandments?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep very true.

Someone rising from dead is an extraordinary matter and cannot be taken literally unless it is proven and there is no way to do so.

Just as you said, you can never prove if God actually exists or not so we can't take it that it does. It's wrong until proven right, not right until proven wrong, just like in court it's innocent until proven guilty not the other way around, am I right ;)
No, false equivocation. Several reasons why this fails:
- First issue: you assume the default position is unbelief/atheism (the belief/premise that God doesn't exist). We haven't even be able to determine this so far. Also to be consistent with your law court analogy (for that is what it is). Innocence = right = righteous. So in the law court, it is actually in the right until proven wrong.

- Second issue: even if there was a proof for God's existence, you would not accept it. This is the real issue with atheism, IMHO. The issue is not the lack of evidence but an unwillingness to attribute the origins of the existence of the universe to a God.

- Third issue: the reason why no-one can prove (or for that matter disprove) the 'existence' of Godis because you are asking for scientific or rational proof. You cannot prove that someone knows the president of the US on a personal level, via science or mathematics. You can only determine raw data like his eye colour, height things like that. Knowing here is kind of more like knowing a person, rather than knowing about an iceberg or how to win a chess game.

- Fourth issue, God is not some plug for a lack of scientific understanding. It is not the case (as it may have been with the Greeks), that we cannot understand or explain how this happen, therefore this must be God.

- Fifth issue, not every thing has to be scientifically proven for it to exist/be true. A lot of things in personal relationships or moral concepts/judgements cannot be proven scientifically (empirically) nor logically (via math/logic construct). (Although they can be consistent with a person's character). There seems to be an obsession with everything being 100% proven, most things are not 'absolutely' proven (outside of maths/logic and even then), even to use your court example, it is evidence to convict the criminal beyond a reasonable doubt.

- Sixth issue, it is not up to us to 'prove' God's existence. It is our job to assess what what is attributed to Him as His words; or in the case of Christianity, what or more stricly who is attributed as the 'exact representation of his being' or the 'image of the invisible God' - namely Jesus Christ.
Now you are dealing with something (other than creation) as a major contact point (or at least acclaimed to be such) between God and humanity. That may be an easier place to start than philosophical arguments :)

Blaytman has outline in his reply above, a sketch of some of these evidences that corroborate.

Also I'm really genuinely amazed how a lot of people have 100% faith in their religion since they're parents taught them about it. Not being rude here but just genuinely curious, like don't people question how or why? I grew up in a somewhat religious house hold and throughout all my childhood I would question anything and everything and no answer could ease my curiosity because it proved nothing for me personally, don't a lot of people feel this when questioning these sort of things?
In my opinion, some do hold to their faith blindly, but I think you will find that many people (in their teens and young adults) wrestle with doubt. The thing they come back to is how trustworthy is the thing you are standing on or how changing is it?

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, and sometimes parents can be a bit over-protective. But I think the question comes, often involves a judgement made about the real intent behind the questions. (It can also depend on the religion, tbh, some religions, it is seen as wrong to ask questions)

Because of this I turned my head around to Science which I found a lot more satisfying in the sense that it admits what it does not know. I saw the power in a solid proof Mathematical or Physical and that was what I wanted with religion/god but never got.
I think you will find that there is a lot we don't know, and you'll find there are some questions that I honestly don't know the answer to. And that is ok. I am a maths graduate, so i perfectly understand the appeal of proofs. The study of this world is fascinating and intriguing (logically, the study of a God who conceptualised it all, wouldn't that be more intriguing - rhetorical).

Aside: Although, technically you cannot prove anything in science. (And apparently you cannot even in mathematics to a point - Godels incompleteness stuff).

If God exists in the form of a being(or spirit) it will completely destroy everything as we know it. Our perceptions of Physics and of the Universe will completely change. Yeah it doesn't really matter but I have yet to meet anyone who convinces me that a God in the form I have described exists.
Yes, your perception of the universe will change but no it won't completely destroy everything as we know it. Unless you have just conceded that a lot of science is done on the assumption of atheism. But many scientists were and are Christians (and some were and are Muslims etc)

Last edited:

ultra908

HSC
1 - this is actually an unsound & slightly illogical question/deduction. It presumes that God's existence/essence operates the same as the universe/ours (that he has a cause). (If X created God, then X is actually God, and then you can keep asking the same question)
From a purely philosophical rational standpoint, we can only determine that a creator must be powerful and must be eternal (meta-physical/outside of the scope of the universe) but also able to connect with this universe (to be able to create).

But to answer your question, where did God come from - from eternity.
this is a very convenient response- it is utterly unfalsifiable.

2 - I cannot speak for other religions (I am a Christian). The underlying assumption is an all-loving God is obliged to get rid of suffering.
It is tied up with the problem of evil (or what is called sin) and the problem called death. That we are given over to death, because we rejceted the author of life. By extension this includes diseases.

Why do disease exist? Judgement for sin, as the world is under death.
Does God eventually deal with diseases? Yes, when Jesus returns, there is the problem of no more mourning or sickness (V day)
How? Because Jesus defeats death for those who trust Him, and so promises them a new body and a new (disease free) place when he returns.What is the guaranteed this will happen? The death & resurrection of Jesus (D day).

We saw a foretaste of this when Jesus healed diseases.
This has told me nothing about why God would allow suffering to occur- he intends to get rid of it later?

3 - There are only a couple of things we can determine about God purely from rationalism/philosophical means. The rest requires 'revelation' from this God himself.
1. The universe is big -> therefore the God that made the universe must be powerful and 'big' enough to create and conceptualise it (powerful)
2. The universe is not eternal -> Therefore the God must 'be' not in the bounds of time/space (transcedent).
3. The universe exists -> God connects with creation because otherwise creation of universe is not possible (immanent)

We cannot actually determine much other than the power or the essence (the eternal transcedence of God), without actually seeking the means by which said God has chosen to make himself known. Sure you can known some basic facts about him (see above), but
Under the assumption that god exists and is outside of space time, it is impossible to discern anything about god- especially not 1. How can you conceptualise 'beyond spacetime' to conclude God is powerful or 'big', whatever those terms mean?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Yep very true.

Yes, correct, there is no way to directly prove that Jesus rose again from the dead, just as there is no way to directly prove that Aristotle was a scientist, yet we still believe that. All we have are historical documents as sources. The bible should be treated and scrutinized as source of historical manuscripts, much like any other historical document, and the problem is that it's not and it's usually just disregarded. There's a bit of inconsistency there when it comes to what we accept as true from history and what we can accept as true from religious texts simply based on whether the text was included in a religious book.

Yes, you cannot prove that God does/doesn't exist, as it is outside the realms of science. Yes, people are innocent until proven guilty, and likewise here, it is wrong until proven right. My point above was that even in courts, there is never 100% certainty due to wrongful convictions: all we have is evidence, and we use the evidence to make the best choice. The exact same applies to religion. There is evidence out there, and people need to make their decision based on that evidence. There is never 100% proof, much like in a courtroom. The best you can get is a very convincing evidence, and the jury/person will make their decision based upon how convincing they believe that evidence is. There was a famous atheist (can't remember who said this as I read it a long time ago) who once said (paraphrasing) "If God exists, it would have profound consequences on our life". If God does exist, then it would shape so many aspects of how we view life and existence, so much so that it merits a careful consideration of whether or not God does exists based upon the evidence. Again, you'll never get 100% proof: all we have is evidence, and it's all each person has to go by to make their own decision. To only choose to make that decision when confronted with 100% absolute certainty looks like an attempt to distract oneself from properly considering the issue. It's like being put in a room where you have to make a decision between 2 doors based on some provided evidence, where each door leads to profound life-changing consequences. In the end, each person must pick a door when their time runs out. Asking for 100% proof is like ignoring the chance to scrutinize the available evidence and picking the door based upon our gut feeling or misguided preconceptions. We'll never be given 100% proof, and each person must make do with what's provided and make their choice.

My family isn't religious, so I didn't grow up in a religious household. I believe in the existence of God based upon the evidence that is available. Having such a belief is not illogical or contradictory to science (as I said, there are many reknown scientists who hold the same view). Science and religion are not incompatible, so one cannot be treated as an alternative to the other (it's also naive to think that science can explain every aspect of existence). I have my beliefs because I have looked at the evidence and precisely because I questioned how and why. There are many answers which nobody on this planet will ever know, but each person needs to make a choice based upon the evidence, since that's all we have. As @dan964 said above, many people wrestle with doubts, and that is normal and healthy, as blindly following something can be dangerous and ignorant.

Last edited:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I found this part rlly interesting- though I do think these arguments have alot of value. Regardless of god's existence, religions bring with them some form of philosophical position or moral standpoint. Surely if a religion is inconsistent or contradictory, this is of some concern. The nature of god thus is very important. Even if god existed, does that justify following such a god or their commandments?
In that paragraph when I discussed the use of philsophical arguments, I was referring to the existence of a deity, rather than the deity of any specific religion. Philsophical arguments don't really apply to the former case, whereas they can to the latter, since as you said, a religion should be consistent. Philosophical arguments are fun for the mind, but they do little to answer the original question of whether an all-powerful God can exist (which should be based on objective evidence), and using philosophical arguments in this instance seems to skirt around the issue altogether.

I still try to avoid using too many philosphical arguments when discussing the deity of a religion, since our personal values of right and wrong are not universal and vary from each individual. As a result, you'll never find a deity who has agreeable morals to 100% of the human population, so these kind of arguments become kind of pointless.

ultra908

HSC
No, false equivocation. Several reasons why this fails:
- First issue: you assume the default position is unbelief/atheism (the belief/premise that God doesn't exist). We haven't even be able to determine this so far. Also to be consistent with your law court analogy (for that is what it is). Innocence = right = righteous. So in the law court, it is actually in the right until proven wrong.

- Second issue: even if there was a proof for God's existence, you would not accept it. This is the real issue with atheism, IMHO. The issue is not the lack of evidence but an unwillingness to attribute the origins of the existence of the universe to a God.

- Third issue: the reason why no-one can prove (or for that matter disprove) the 'existence' of Godis because you are asking for scientific or rational proof. You cannot prove that someone knows the president of the US on a personal level, via science or mathematics. You can only determine raw data like his eye colour, height things like that. Knowing here is kind of more like knowing a person, rather than knowing about an iceberg or how to win a chess game.

- Fourth issue, God is not some plug for a lack of scientific understanding. It is not the case (as it may have been with the Greeks), that we cannot understand or explain how this happen, therefore this must be God.

- Fifth issue, not every thing has to be scientifically proven for it to exist/be true. A lot of things in personal relationships or moral concepts/judgements cannot be proven scientifically (empirically) nor logically (via math/logic construct). (Although they can be consistent with a person's character). There seems to be an obsession with everything being 100% proven, most things are not 'absolutely' proven (outside of maths/logic and even then), even to use your court example, it is evidence to convict the criminal beyond a reasonable doubt.

- Sixth issue, it is not up to us to 'prove' God's existence. It is our job to assess what what is attributed to Him as His words; or in the case of Christianity, what or more stricly who is attributed as the 'exact representation of his being' or the 'image of the invisible God' - namely Jesus Christ.
Now you are dealing with something (other than creation) as a major contact point (or at least acclaimed to be such) between God and humanity. That may be an easier place to start than philosophical arguments :)
1. The default position is agnosticism i suppose.
2. Attributing the existence of the universe to some form of 'first mover' is one position. Extending this to some sentient deity, or a religious belief, is another one entirely. I think I would be willing to accept
3. Your own personal relationship with god is like knowing a person yes, but knowing gods existence is not really- no more than knowing your friend is like knowing the great barrier reef exists.
4. Very true
5. This is because those terms not scientifically defined or labelled, and often have alot of leeway or ambiguity. The existence of a biblical god is not such a thing. The biblical god doesn't need to be 100% proven- but currently there's quite a bit of faith involved.
6. The bible gives us alot of great philosophical and moral teachings and is an important work- this is true. But accepting the word of Christ and the Gospel is probably a more difficult place to start- after all, it rests on assumptions about God.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
The second issue raised by @dan964 above lead me to remember something interesting.
If you guys haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching Messiah on netflix. It's not about any one religion, but it's about a man who claims to be the Messiah, performing miracles around the world and gathering a following. It's also very geopolitical (which I love), with the CIA tracking his movements from Israel, the West Bank, Jordan, Syria, etc, and suspect that he's a potential rising terrorist leader based upon his movements from warzones. The show keeps you guessing whether he's legit, and it shows a scenario of how a world could potentially react to such an event. He performs miracles, and even then, there are many who think he's playing a fraud or performing some sort of illusion. The show is great in the sense that it makes you question whether or not he's legit: you might start off thinking he's the real deal, and then you ask yourself later whether it was just a trick. It's a great example which goes to show that even when faced with direct evidence, our first instinct is doubt as our preconceptions prevent us from accepting what we see.

Regardless, definitely recommend the show.

idkkdi

HSC
Nah, not really. Through experiments, we have determined then roughly proven approximate parameters within which the world operate. If things act as such, they do. If God exists, he will always have existed, and since such parameters for basic physics have held true before, they will still hold true. All that changes is that such rules have now been created by God.

I still see no meaning in proving whether God exists or not.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
1. The default position is agnosticism i suppose.
2. Attributing the existence of the universe to some form of 'first mover' is one position. Extending this to some sentient deity, or a religious belief, is another one entirely. I think I would be willing to accept
3. Your own personal relationship with god is like knowing a person yes, but knowing gods existence is not really- no more than knowing your friend is like knowing the great barrier reef exists.
4. Very true
5. This is because those terms not scientifically defined or labelled, and often have alot of leeway or ambiguity. The existence of a biblical god is not such a thing. The biblical god doesn't need to be 100% proven- but currently there's quite a bit of faith involved.
6. The bible gives us alot of great philosophical and moral teachings and is an important work- this is true. But accepting the word of Christ and the Gospel is probably a more difficult place to start- after all, it rests on assumptions about God.
Still no-one has defined what people mean by existence. If you define say existence as being and becoming, then by that definition, God cannot exist (because God is not 'becoming').

1. Even agnosticism is not neutral though, people who are agnostic still drift towards either position. Agnosticism says you cannot know, and so why bother? Most atheists end up being agnostics.

2 & 3. Ah no, there are 3 types of knowing:
- Knowing by rationalism (think like knowing the moves of a chess) e.g. maths & logic
- Knowing by empiricalism e.g. studying the features of an iceberg.
- Knowing by relationship (e.g. knowing a person)

Firstly, we need to acknowledge the limits of scientific enquiry (empiricism), it is not certainly the best means to study a personal being. Sure we can determine basic facts about them, but the issue is the very notion of 'existence'.

Axioms (not going to prove these):
- The universe exists (it has an essence and a 'becoming' to it)
- The universe is not eternal
- The universe is big/massive/lots of stuff (aka sufficiently complex)

These are the basic things we can determine about this 'being':
- He has to be powerful to be able to create all that exists
- He has to be eternal (which is often what people mean by divine) - the fancy term is transcedence
- He has to be able to connect with the physical world (otherwise the world could not exist)
We cannot deduce more than that by logical construct. Can we deduce whether he exists? (This depends on whether you accept arguments such as the first cause argument, which clearly your question earlier shows you don't, or the ontological argument).

Logically you can show (e.g. using an ontological argument), that God is not simply the universe, because the universe is not eternal, rejecting
pantheism. Scientific enquiry can deduce there isn't some ether (or 'God force') (aka panentheism), although you could argue that the physical laws play the same role (although emerging science debates whether these laws are consistent which I find intriguing but way over my head tbh)

5. With the exception of maths/logic perhaps (but even then the existence of unproved problems shows limit to human knowledge), there is always going to be ambiguity and need for confidence in the data or the methodology or the instrument or the senses.

This is because those terms not scientifically defined or labelled, and often have alot of leeway or ambiguity.
Isn't quite clear what this comment is reference to. But nevertheless even scientifically defined or labelled things have ambiguity and leeway (thats why there is always discussion about reliability, accuracy and validity of experiments), thats why we have terms like confidence and consensus. But no, the reason is because there are more ways to know things then just via science and logic (these same principles apply in a different way of course to theology - the study of God).

But the study of the meta-physical, easily go beyonds empirical studies (which is why panentheism is false in my view), because there are vast unknownness to what could lie beyond if such a God is.

The existence of a biblical god is not such a thing. The biblical god doesn't need to be 100% proven- but currently there's quite a bit of faith involved.
Of course there is going to be some faith involved. But faith is not some irrational decision, it is a trust based on the reliability, accuracy and validity of something. It is not hard to accept the idea of a 'first mover', a very primitive idea of God. No of course not, but often the word 'proof' is tied up with scientific enquiry or logic (often to the exclusion of literature studies and historical studies)

Firstly we need to broaden science to include historical studies, for this angle, we can study the historical data. If the text is 'the Word of God' then we have a contact point for studying (even if just theoretically) what kind of God there is. Often the reason why people don't study it, is because they feel like they need to have the 'God exists' premises, downpacked but it may be more useful, just to look at what is presented and go from there.

And finally...
6. Well, you are dealing with people who claimed to encounter God, so yes if you have difficult accepting the idea of God's existence, then you are going to have a difficult time accepting those who claimed to have seen or heard God. Such is the nature of skepticism.

idkkdi

HSC
Yes, correct, there is no way to directly prove that Jesus rose again from the dead, just as there is no way to directly prove that Aristotle was a scientist, yet we still believe that. All we have are historical documents as sources. The bible should be treated and scrutinized as source of historical manuscripts, much like any other historical document, and the problem is that it's not and it's usually just disregarded. There's a bit of inconsistency there when it comes to what we accept as true from history and what we can accept as true from religious texts simply based on whether the text was included in a religious book.

Yes, you cannot prove that God does/doesn't exist, as it is outside the realms of science. Yes, people are innocent until proven guilty, and likewise here, it is wrong until proven right. My point above was that even in courts, there is never 100% certainty due to wrongful convictions: all we have is evidence, and we use the evidence to make the best choice. The exact same applies to religion. There is evidence out there, and people need to make their decision based on that evidence. There is never 100% proof, much like in a courtroom. The best you can get is a very convincing evidence, and the jury/person will make their decision based upon how convincing they believe that evidence is. There was a famous atheist (can't remember who said this as I read it a long time ago) who once said (paraphrasing) "If God exists, it would have profound consequences on our life". If God does exist, then it would shape so many aspects of how we view life and existence, so much so that it merits a careful consideration of whether or not God does exists based upon the evidence. Again, you'll never get 100% proof: all we have is evidence, and it's all each person has to go by to make their own decision. To only choose to make that decision when confronted with 100% absolute certainty looks like an attempt to distract oneself from properly considering the issue. It's like being put in a room where you have to make a decision between 2 doors based on some provided evidence, where each door leads to profound life-changing consequences. In the end, each person must pick a door when their time runs out. Asking for 100% proof is like ignoring the chance to scrutinize the available evidence and picking the door based upon our gut feeling or misguided preconceptions. We'll never be given 100% proof, and each person must make do with what's provided and make their choice.

My family isn't religious, so I didn't grow up in a religious household. I believe in the existence of God based upon the evidence that is available. Having such a belief is not illogical or contradictory to science (as I said, there are many reknown scientists who hold the same view). Science and religion are not incompatible, so one cannot be treated as an alternative to the other (it's also naive to think that science can explain every aspect of existence). I have my beliefs because I have looked at the evidence and precisely because I questioned how and why. There are many answers which nobody on this planet will ever know, but each person needs to make a choice based upon the evidence, since that's all we have. As @dan964 said above, many people wrestle with doubts, and that is normal and healthy, as blindly following something can be dangerous and ignorant.
I mean, 10 billion+ other people have not risen from the dead. That's a pretty good proof for the unlikeliness of Jesus coming back from the dead. Surely another person would have been worthy of/done that if he had? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are building upon foundational layers of a concept to suit it to your perspective. Man, this is like English where you try to analyse every little piece of information for an extra interpretation, and no one can say that the author didn't intend as such because chances are he never wrote about why he did that.

The more interesting question is if we can argue the topic of God, how easy is it for cults to actually start? What about pigs flying? Damn, what if Peppa Pig is an omniscient being that appeared in some guys dream and told him to make it into a cartoon?

idkkdi

HSC
Still no-one has defined what people mean by existence. If you define say existence as being and becoming, then by that definition, God cannot exist (because God is not 'becoming').

1. Even agnosticism is not neutral though, people who are agnostic still drift towards either position. Agnosticism says you cannot know, and so why bother? Most atheists end up being agnostics.

2 & 3. Ah no, there are 3 types of knowing:
- Knowing by rationalism (think like knowing the moves of a chess) e.g. maths & logic
- Knowing by empiricalism e.g. studying the features of an iceberg.
- Knowing by relationship (e.g. knowing a person)

Firstly, we need to acknowledge the limits of scientific enquiry (empiricism), it is not certainly the best means to study a personal being. Sure we can determine basic facts about them, but the issue is the very notion of 'existence'.

Axioms (not going to prove these):
- The universe exists (it has an essence and a 'becoming' to it)
- The universe is not eternal
- The universe is big/massive/lots of stuff (aka sufficiently complex)

These are the basic things we can determine about this 'being':
- He has to be powerful to be able to create all that exists
- He has to be eternal (which is often what people mean by divine) - the fancy term is transcedence
- He has to be able to connect with the physical world (otherwise the world could not exist)
We cannot deduce more than that by logical construct. Can we deduce whether he exists? (This depends on whether you accept arguments such as the first cause argument, which clearly your question earlier shows you don't, or the ontological argument).

Logically you can show (e.g. using an ontological argument), that God is not simply the universe, because the universe is not eternal, rejecting
pantheism. Scientific enquiry can deduce there isn't some ether (or 'God force') (aka panentheism), although you could argue that the physical laws play the same role (although emerging science debates whether these laws are consistent which I find intriguing but way over my head tbh)

5. With the exception of maths/logic perhaps (but even then the existence of unproved problems shows limit to human knowledge), there is always going to be ambiguity and need for confidence in the data or the methodology or the instrument or the senses.

Isn't quite clear what this comment is reference to. But nevertheless even scientifically defined or labelled things have ambiguity and leeway (thats why there is always discussion about reliability, accuracy and validity of experiments), thats why we have terms like confidence and consensus. But no, the reason is because there are more ways to know things then just via science and logic (these same principles apply in a different way of course to theology - the study of God).

But the study of the meta-physical, easily go beyonds empirical studies (which is why panentheism is false in my view), because there are vast unknownness to what could lie beyond if such a God is.

Of course there is going to be some faith involved. But faith is not some irrational decision, it is a trust based on the reliability, accuracy and validity of something. It is not hard to accept the idea of a 'first mover', a very primitive idea of God. No of course not, but often the word 'proof' is tied up with scientific enquiry or logic (often to the exclusion of literature studies and historical studies)

Firstly we need to broaden science to include historical studies, for this angle, we can study the historical data. If the text is 'the Word of God' then we have a contact point for studying (even if just theoretically) what kind of God there is. Often the reason why people don't study it, is because they feel like they need to have the 'God exists' premises, downpacked but it may be more useful, just to look at what is presented and go from there.

And finally...
6. Well, you are dealing with people who claimed to encounter God, so yes if you have difficult accepting the idea of God's existence, then you are going to have a difficult time accepting those who claimed to have seen or heard God. Such is the nature of skepticism.
Bruh, did you get a degree in Theology? You seem to have done way too much research into this?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I mean, 10 billion+ other people have not risen from the dead. That's a pretty good proof for the unlikeliness of Jesus coming back from the dead. Surely another person would have been worthy of/done that if he had? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are building upon foundational layers of a concept to suit it to your perspective. Man, this is like English where you try to analyse every little piece of information for an extra interpretation, and no one can say that the author didn't intend as such because chances are he never wrote about why he did that.

The more interesting question is if we can argue the topic of God, how easy is it for cults to actually start? What about pigs flying? Damn, what if Peppa Pig is an omniscient being that appeared in some guys dream and told him to make it into a cartoon?
It seems that you're simply dismissing the possibility of ressurection because nobody else has done the supernatural, so therefore, it cannot possibly happen. In other words, you're automatically assuming that the supernatural is impossible as an argument to prove that the supernatural is impossible. If Jesus was indeed God, then the supernatural would be possible. If that were the case, then it stands to reason the reason why we're not seeing mass ressurections is because they are not God.

Based on your argument, you are not treating the bible as set of historical documents, but rather treating it as a story tale written by some guy in his cave, who then spread it out amongst a bunch of people. Maybe look into the historicity and authenticity of religious texts before formulating an argument.

In regards to cults, maybe look into the statistical likelihood of actual cults propagating worldwide, and see how successful they are. You'll find that all of them die out pretty quick. A big reason why Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the 3 worlds biggest religions and have lasted this long is because of the amount of historical texts. Those 3 form the Abrahamic religons, which have a somewhat common base of belief, which then branch out further down the timeline. You'll find that it's very difficult to convince people to join a cult that believes that Peppa Pig is an omniscient being without any evidence to back it up.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)