Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Two things I'd like to say:

1) "Of course G-d exists, we can't see air either, but without it we'd be dead" - Louise Brook.

2) Why are you debating something you will never be able to prove, and when you finally can prove, will be too late?

There's a thing called HSC, and it's on at the moment. Stick to the things you're qualified/capable of providing information/worthwhile insight on. :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
HotShot said:
U do realise that quantum mechanics/physics is just made up crap to explain what classical physics cant explain? Its made to fit.
I take it you've given up on the other argument then? I think it's a mistake to dismiss quantum mechanics as a load of crap. It makes succesful predictions with what is quite possibly an unprecedented degree of accuracy. It has been used succesfully to create and explain things like the electron microscope, quantum chemistry and superconductors. Seemingly abstract parts of quantum theory have found application: e.g. quantum tunneling being put to use in scanning tunneling microscopy. Even ideas as out there as the de Broglie hypothesis (that a wave-particle duality applies to all matter) have found experimental confirmation. Physical formulas are supposed to 'fit', that's the whole point - they fit the natural world, allowing you to make predictions.

blah88

HSC
no living person can prove that God doesnt exist no matter what the arguement is.
they havent experienced death yet :)
search for some near death experiences (nde)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Certainly, I agree that scientific theories can't be conclusively established. However, I do think that we can, with relative confidence, provisionally accept those which consistantly make correct predictions and yield significant results.

When you refer to Geneva I assume you're talking about the Large Hadron Collider. I've been interested to see what the results of the experiments will be for quite some time. Who knows, maybe it'll blow parts of QM right out of the water... or perhaps even place string theory up on the pedestal.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
no living person can prove that God doesnt exist no matter what the arguement is.
I can prove that God doesn't exist just as well as I can prove the tooth fairy doesn't, I don't believe in the tooth fairy so I'd be a hypocrit to believe in God.

search for some near death experiences (nde)
They're reproducable i.e. pilots often experience them. We understand what these experiences are pretty well using natural science, so I don't see what proof they offer.

No scientific theory, however, can be conclusively established.
Scientists accept this, however as Kfunk's already beaten me to it...

However, I do think that we can, with relative confidence, provisionally accept those which consistantly make correct predictions and yield significant results.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
KFunk said:
I take it you've given up on the other argument then? I think it's a mistake to dismiss quantum mechanics as a load of crap. It makes succesful predictions with what is quite possibly an unprecedented degree of accuracy. It has been used succesfully to create and explain things like the electron microscope, quantum chemistry and superconductors. Seemingly abstract parts of quantum theory have found application: e.g. quantum tunneling being put to use in scanning tunneling microscopy. Even ideas as out there as the de Broglie hypothesis (that a wave-particle duality applies to all matter) have found experimental confirmation. Physical formulas are supposed to 'fit', that's the whole point - they fit the natural world, allowing you to make predictions.
Yes thats all gud to make predictions, but that wont help to prove to if god exists or if there is a creator.

All scientific theory already assumes that there is a creator or there isnt - one of two possibilities. for eg the law of gravity will still hold if there was creator or if there wasnt - makes no difference whatsover. in a way science will not be able to tell if there was creator or not - even with evolution someone would have had create the first atom/ element - particle energy whatever u want to call it. IF this was not possible - that it was possible to create something out of nothing - then maybe you can possibly explain that there is no creator.
I can prove that God doesn't exist just as well as I can prove the tooth fairy doesn't, I don't believe in the tooth fairy so I'd be a hypocrit to believe in God.
In what ways can you prove that a tooth fairy does not exist? proving something doesnt exist is based on human limitations. one person might say he saw a UFO and that is sufficient evidence that there martians. But another person wouldnt agree - but he wouldnt have any evidence apart from saying 'it could have been something else' to prove that person who sighted the UFO was wrong.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
All scientific theory already assumes that there is a creator or there isnt - one of two possibilities.
Wrong.

Theories can merely accept that SOMEHOW we got to this point and now from our observations we can see X. It doesn't require an assumption about a creator or not.

In what ways can you prove that a tooth fairy does not exist?
I can't conclusively prove that a tooth fairy does not exist, however based on current information at hand I think it's fair to state that it is the provisional truth that there is no tooth fairy (as we have no evidence of one, and when looking for something usually we require evidence of its existance, not evidence of its non-existance).

Of course, as I've outlined before... I do think there's different positions you can take. One point I'll make now (I don't feel like reciting the entire post again) is that 'Belief in God' is essentially belief based on the same amount of proof that the tooth fairy exists, or that you are God yourself - Therefore you're not being consistant with your logic if you ONLY believe God exists.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Wrong.

Theories can merely accept that SOMEHOW we got to this point and now from our observations we can see X. It doesn't require an assumption about a creator or not.

I can't conclusively prove that a tooth fairy does not exist, however based on current information at hand I think it's fair to state that it is the provisional truth that there is no tooth fairy (as we have no evidence of one, and when looking for something usually we require evidence of its existance, not evidence of its non-existance).

Of course, as I've outlined before... I do think there's different positions you can take. One point I'll make now (I don't feel like reciting the entire post again) is that 'Belief in God' is essentially belief based on the same amount of proof that the tooth fairy exists, or that you are God yourself - Therefore you're not being consistant with your logic if you ONLY believe God exists.
You're being illogical. You can't falsify something if you can't replace it's purpose, that means untill you can prove that God didn't create our universe you can't say it doesn't exist. It doesn't have to exist but you can't deny that an entity must have created the universe unless you can prove otherwise. Basically you're saying the universe just came into existance, you're assuming that laws which have absolute values can be created from nothing which is the most ridiculous crap I have ever heard.

Here is my logic:

1. The Universe exists.
2. The Universe is bound by laws, otherwise we would all be omniscient.
3. Prior to the Laws of our universe there was nothing! (because as soon as ANYTHING exists it is first bound by laws) eg; saying an atom existed before the laws of our universe is stupid, because an atom is only an atom BECAUSE of the laws of the universe. What are the laws of our universe? Well I've tried reasoning with you and explaining that they all lead to protecting the fact that "Energy exists and it is a Finite ammount" but you wrongly deny this.

Even though everything in our universe points to this logical conclusion, therefore our universe is the result of another universe (because it isn't spontaneous due to absolute value of energy being finite as it is) now I say that whatever it is in the other universe that created the law of this universe is God. IT could actually be an entity... omnipotent and omnibenevolent and omniscient to a certain extent.... or it could be a natural process of another universe...

either way... we have a difference in belief... you wish to compare a NATURAL process with a 'tooth fairy?' and think that you're being logical. That's confusing to me...

This questions comes down to opinion, I can't change what you believe (however illogical and stupid it may be) so there really is no point in arguing this. Using quantum mechanics and philosophy is a good way of proving something. But, if it's purpose isn't replaced it's useless garbage which sounds like something mimiced for the sake of justifying a particular belief you already held.

Good Luck in your beliefs.... This goes out to all of you...

(sorry for the poor grammar and structure, didn't have the patience...)

neecolie

HSC
despite all your attempts on showcasing to this forum how smart and how little you know about religion and claiming that there is no being higher then you,

i still believe in my God, have faith and trust he will do great things with my life...

this is no arguement at all, but sometimes u just have to trust and have faith in something bigger than yourself because you don't have the answers and one day even lose control...

God loves us enough to let us chose

my God is great...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You're being illogical. You can't falsify something if you can't replace it's purpose
The proposition that a 'magical being did it' doesn't actually explain anything.

It doesn't have to exist but you can't deny that an entity must have created the universe unless you can prove otherwise.
Well what do you mean by entity? As I've explained to you many times before... If your definition of God is "The thing that created the universe" and nothing more, then there's probably alot more atheists willing to accept that something created the universe.

As for disproving that a 'magical' entity must have done it, I can disprove that AS WELL as I can disprove that santa claus exists. It is good enough for me.

Basically you're saying the universe just came into existance
No, I'm saying I don't know how the universe came into existance.

you're assuming that laws which have absolute values can be created from nothing which is the most ridiculous crap I have ever heard.
No... I never said that. Though it's not quite as bad as putting forward the idea that some magical person did it.

1. The Universe exists.
Yes.

2. The Universe is bound by laws, otherwise we would all be omniscient.
The Universe is made up of Laws. These laws do not 'dictate' how the universe runs, they're just our human way of explaining how we think the universe runs from our observations.

Also, we wouldn't be omniscient... a universe without 'laws' essentially means no universe, we would not exist.

3. Prior to the Laws of our universe there was nothing!
Of 'Our' Universe? Do you mean of our known universe? If so then there could have been things outside of our known universe.

Well I've tried reasoning with you and explaining that they all lead to protecting the fact that "Energy exists and it is a Finite ammount" but you wrongly deny this.
Because you've just picked 'law' and decided for some arbitrary reason that it is the one that all other laws are 'bolstering'. All the laws interact together because they are all just our way of explaining how one thing operates, that is our universe.

now I say that whatever it is in the other universe that created the law of this universe is God.
Ok... so you believe that our universe is the result of another universe... and whatever it is that created the law of our universe... is God? Well the 'laws' of our universe would have been created by whatever from that universe created ours. You seem to have a problem understanding what these laws are, so I'll point out again that the laws to explain a universe will only exist once the universe is there... because all they do is explain how that universe works.

IT could actually be an entity... omnipotent and omnibenevolent and omniscient to a certain extent.... or it could be a natural process of another universe...
IMHO You're stretching the meaning of the word 'God' way too far to win an argument. When I argue against God, I argue against the notion that there is an omnipotent benevolent being - AND ONLY THAT. Stop moving the goal posts.

either way... we have a difference in belief... you wish to compare a NATURAL process with a 'tooth fairy?' and think that you're being logical. That's confusing to me...
I've explained to you many times before (which you conveniently ignore, always too hyped up in your own silly ideas) that if it is a natural process that you call your God, then I have no argument with you - but I think it's a pretty lame excuse for the word 'God'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

despite all your attempts on showcasing to this forum how smart and how little you know about religion and claiming that there is no being higher then you,
If you think we know little about religion how's bout you step up and teach us some things? I'm sorry but to me your post is extremely arrogant, claiming we're posting just to show off how smart we are and boasting that we know little about religion. Put up an argument to us or just stop posting.

i still believe in my God, have faith and trust he will do great things with my life...
Why? Is this because of evidence or just because you like the idea?

this is no arguement at all
Yes it is.

but sometimes u just have to trust and have faith in something bigger than yourself because you don't have the answers
While I don't accept your proposition... If i were too, which 'God' bigger than myself should I believe in? There are thousands.

spell check

HSC
this really is a ridiculous debate. it would be totally harmless too if it stopped at 4) instead of 7).
1) the universe must have begun
2) no one knows how
3) maybe it was created by something we can't even begin to comprehend or understand?
4) we can't ever find out, it doesn't really matter
5) oh wait some bronze age dudes reckon they knew him. then again people are pretty full of shit and back then they didn't really know much
6) they wrote a book
7) contraception and abortion is evil and homosexuality is an abomination and we should pray on saturdays at 11am to worship god and god can turn water into wine but he can't stop wars because he's not supposed to interfere and all the other gods that are in OTHER books like zeus and allah and ra and thor are totally made up and it is ok to kill anyone who believes in them because they're going to hell anyway and god told me to invade iraq.

seriously even if something created the universe, how do we even know if it still exists? let alone that it wants you to love your neighbour and eat fish on fridays. seems like a pretty fucking massive leap of logic.

anyone who cites god as the reason for doing something is pretty deluded

phatic

HSC
This is probably a bit late - I forgot to check up on this thread. :)

KFunk said:
Beautiful quote, but why should the elation that a person can feel necessarily be the granduer of god. You can replace such a phrase with the beauty of nature, the awe-inspiring nature of the universe or the blissful harmony of a peaceful mind. I believe that transcendence can be reached in a number of different ways, be it through philosophy, art, meditation or simply revelling in one's own existence. Why should such moments suggest that what you experience is the presence of god? More importantly, should it not be possible for a person to have such experiences in the absence of god?
Hm... Yes, it is possible to have such experiences in the absence of God. From the little that I have read about Zen Buddhism, I believe that this is their primary aim - to achieve an enlightened state of being, where you have transcended duality, etc etc... I'm sure you know what I mean. And they don't ackowledge a God (at least not in the way we do), as far as I know.

Even if I am wrong about the Buddhists, I am sure there are many others who can experience this without having any notion of God.

As for your first question. This has a lot to do with personal prejudice, due to my upbringing (my father being a Christian priest), and other experiences which have re-inforced this. I could easily assert that I simply use the concept of God as the most direct means of coming to terms with these experiences, though I won't, as this would basically relegate 'God' to a product of my mind, and that is saying that He doesn't exist. His actual existence is incomprehensible to me, though I know intuitively that He does exist, therefore I need that concept.

This is all leading in to this quote, which is excellent btw.

spadijer said:
...The primary basis for belief in God is to be found in experience, especially religious experience. There are many experiences in which people have become aware of Holy Being impinging on their lives - mystical experiences, conversion, a sense of presence, sometimes visions and locutions - which may come with the force of a revelation. Besides specifically religious experiences, there are others in which people become aware of a depth or an ultimacy that they call God - moral experiences, interpersonal relations, the sense of beauty, the search for truth, the awareness of finitude, even confrontation with suffering and death. These are sometimes called limit situations (a term used by the 20th-century German philosopher Karl Jaspers), because those who undergo such experiences seem to strike against the limits of their own being. In so doing, however, they become aware of a being that transcends their own, yet with which they sense both difference and affinity. They become aware of what the 20th-century German Protestant theologian Rudolf Otto, in a classic description, called mysterium tremendum et fascinans, the mystery that at once produces both awe and fascination.

To many people these experiences of Holy Being are self-authenticating, and they feel no need to inquire further. All human experience, however, is fallible. Mistakes of perception are everyday experiences, and false conceptions of the natural world, the Earth, the heavenly bodies, and so forth have prevailed for thousands of years. It is therefore possible that the experience of Holy Being is illusory, and this possibility has led some believers to look for a rational basis for belief in God that will confirm the experiential basis...
You couldn't have put it better. However, I am deeply afraid of the notion (most likely truth) that all experience is fallible, even though (through rationalism) I am tempted to believe it. When I think about all the implications of this, all life and reality quickly fades away into some distant realm, separated by "a chasm of oblivion", and there is literally nothing left. It undermines the validity of one's own existence. As Nietzsche said, "When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you".

After realising this I gave up the whole 'search for truth'. However, I still wouldn't say that it is a matter of survival to believe in the validity of trascendental (or normal) experience and God's existence, as this is basically saying that God doesn't exist, when intuitively I know otherwise. And now for the fallibility of intuition... Hm... looks like it's all circular from here on.

Well, despite proving myself wrong, I still believe that God exists.

Edit: Just noticed this about nihilism, which seems to be the same point I have reached.

EraserDust said:
Maybe I should state my position of belief too: using faith as a means to escape nihilism, the crazy coward that I am.

I believe in the Christian God construct because it is absurd (try doublethink). So I can honestly say that I personally experience God’s love, but since this feeling is indeed a mere delusion constructed by my own mind, I still hold that a life full of imaginary love is better than one consisting of logical apathy.

Even though I may be rationally convinced that this godly love I feel is only an illusion, I’d say that it has actually served to enrich my temporary earthbound life. Now if there is no God, then those who foolishly believe in Him will share the same fate as those who reasonably don’t. Simply ceasing to exist – an eternity of absolutely nothing.
Agreed. Just thinking, though... What if logic is also a delusion? The process occurs inside the mind and thereby suffers the same lack. I remember reading that reflection is the same sort of escapism as every other diversion... Anything to dodge the emptiness. Though, personally I value reflection for its poetic quality more than anything else.

Anyway, now it seems even more futile to try and prove that God exists through argument, than relying on experience.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
His actual existence is incomprehensible to me, though I know intuitively that He does exist, therefore I need that concept.
You know intuitively that he exists?

It is therefore possible that the experience of Holy Being is illusory, and this possibility has led some believers to look for a rational basis for belief in God that will confirm the experiential basis...
I'd say it should be the first thing you need to eliminate before imagining that it's anything more than a figment of your mind.

when intuitively I know otherwise. And now for the fallibility of intuition... Hm... looks like it's all circular from here on.
It seems a bad idea to rely on 'intuition' given how wrong our intuition can often be.

Agreed. Just thinking, though... What if logic is also a delusion?
It doesn't matter if it is a delusion, the delusion is real for us and thus forms our reality until it's shown to be a delusion.

Anyway, now it seems even more futile to try and prove that God exists through argument, than relying on experience.
Relying on personal 'experience' seems like the worst way to determine any sort of reality.

peez

Sporadic school-goer
HSC
I'm not sure if you're talking about a specific religion or religion in general. This is a major provocation. I suggest you think more rationally in future about what you write (you seem to be under a few misconceptions) and think about whom you are targeting, because at the moment you have targeted quite a few religions.

phatic

HSC
Hm, this can't possibly refer to my post - I didn't target any religions. It was more of a philosophical question on the nature of knowledge about God.

As for 'Not-That-Bright' - It seems self-evident to me that logic is a delusion. Do you know what is meant by a "chasm of oblivion"? This breaks the mind's link with reality, and traps logic on the opposite side. From this point it seems absurd to 'reason' about reality. Far better to experience it directly, in the form of intuition. Though I admit that neither has any basis.

lengy

HSC
Of course it's provocative

Last edited by a moderator:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
As for 'Not-That-Bright' - It seems self-evident to me that logic is a delusion.
Couldn't it be a delusion that logic is a delusion? :rolleyes: I mean, you're using a form of logic to come to that conclusion and to explain it to me. Anyway, I didn't actually even argue that logic isn't a delusion, my point was that it doesn't matter if it is for it is the best way we have to explain our reality and even if our reality is a delusion it's still pretty damn real for us ;)

Far better to experience it directly, in the form of intuition.
I find it... quite ironic that you've been attempting to use logical argument to disprove the use of logic. As for intuition being 'experiencing reality directly' ? Well you admit is has no basis so I don't even see why you bother to bring it up, if it has no basis then why do you favor it?

------------------------

As a side note, I find it interesting that people have to try to come up with ways to abandon logic (which they surely use in every day life and cannot escape), abandon the reality they know (claiming it is a farse) or other such nonsense just to leave that gap there for their God to exist.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I think the basic precepts of classical logic are too ingrained in the way our mind operates for us to reject it. We use basic logic everyday in order to make inferences about the world (in particular 'If A then B'... 'A is true'...'therefore B'). I believe that we make use of this kind of basic logical structure any time we reason our way around a situation involving some form of consequence (e.g. not shutting one's hand in the door because it leads to pain). I would like to see someone try and reject the material conditional without making use of it in the first place.

I'm of the view that logic has something of a platonic, a priori status which keeps it safe from the kind of skeptical doubts which plague discussions about reality and knowledge of the universe. If logic were to be rejected in it's entirety then the only alternative I can envisage is one where logic is replaced by the general maxim 'something is true when I believe it to be so'. No doubt the maxim would be encased in poetry ('to see a world in a grain of sand'?) in order to add weight to it. Note that this is the general stance (regarding god) of those theists who refuse to apply logic to their conception of god.

Perhaps if a person was unhappy with the implications of logic they could try and extend it (to create something like modal or many-valued logic) rather than reject it all together and put it down to mere delusion.

phatic

HSC
Hm yes, this was all very tenuously linked with God's existence. Well, since I can't stick to the point, I'll just shut up. :p

Edit: Just as an aside, the Zen Buddhists have found a viable alternative to logical analysis/thought, though I doubt that any Westerner could live like this (without thinking).

Thanks for the constructive discussion.

Last edited:

EraserDust

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You know intuitively that he exists?
I don't know about making such a knowledge claim being anything but absurd, but for me I know that God exists as well as I know I exist.

Not-That-Bright said:
even if our reality is a delusion it's still pretty damn real for us
Exactly. So if our God is a delusion, He's still real for us. Maybe I'm being irrational when I claim that love is more real than anything else.

Not-That-Bright said:
Couldn't it be a delusion that logic is a delusion?
Of course. It could also be a delusion that it is a delusion that logic is a delusion. What is left is a series of infinite regression, so I'll leave it at that.

Not-That-Bright said:
you've been attempting to use logical argument to disprove the use of logic.
It seemingly pervades that nothing can be proven or disproven using logic alone, without a sense of intuition. This is a statement which supports itself by negating its own veracity. A paradox in a sense, where if we assume the possibility of it being false, then it most likely is true. Consider 2 + 2 = 5, where by itself it proves nothing without sharing the common understanding of number representation, where by our intuition a representation of a 4 should instead fit.

Similar to the statement that everything is debatable, where this notion is also logically debatable, serving as its own example, supporting itself by negating its own veracity.

phatic said:
It seems self-evident to me that logic is a delusion.
To understand phatic's self-negating proposition, that logic is a delusion, I'd suggest for others to read Descartes' Meditations. If you can't be bothered (or don't have enough spare time) then that's a darn shame. Anyways I'm aware Not-That-Bright that you are not directly arguing against logic being a delusion. For me, I'm just supporting phatic on my own grounds by agreeing with him. Logic is a delusion. It requires logical justification to be held otherwise.

Not-That-Bright said:
As for intuition being 'experiencing reality directly' ? Well you admit is has no basis so I don't even see why you bother to bring it up, if it has no basis then why do you favor it?
Evidently intuition has no rational basis, and as you said it can be a "bad" idea to rely on intuition since it obviously can be wrong, and phatic already stated that the fallibility of intuition is circular. So why favor it? I don't know about phatic's motive, possibly the same (I won't make any assumptions on his part), but I would assume intuition is all that can be truly known, whilst everything else is logically justified within the mind. This is justification too, so why should I bother posting it at all? Such an absurd choice to take on my part, but since you adhere so strongly to logical justification, it makes sense to provide my thoughts in the same format, even though doing so logically flaws them. I find this enlightening.

KFunk said:
I think the basic precepts of classical logic are too ingrained in the way our mind operates for us to reject it.
Pretty much. We all live according to logic. Makes perfect logical sense.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)