Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
dagwoman said:
You're comparing aldulterous, incestuous polygamy with gay marriage?

And as for common morals, I think Not-That-Bright is referring to the common ground as human beings being kind to one another. Basic beliefs such as truth, love etc. I may be wrong though.
Read my post again http://community.boredofstudies.org/2627094/post-3673.html and then think why it's really quite okay for him to equate incestuous polygamy with gay marriage if he thinks they're both bad or both good or whatever.

If he has his own self-derived system of morals where gay marriage is as evil as incestuous polygamy, that's his truth. If you have your own self-derived system of morals where gay marriage is fine, that's your truth. You can express outrage at his ideas, but you can't really say that your truth is better than his because they're both just what the two of you happen to think is right.
(Clearly this only applies for moral judgments)

In fact the idea that there is common ground is fairly subjective because the fact that we're the same species, have mothers and will die doesn't really allow you to say "well therefore gay marriage is okay" or even "therefore murder is wrong". It's just that the majority of people tend to think that, say, murder is wrong. But certainly not all.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea...about that. 'common ground' is becoming more and more uncommon isn't it? What was 'common ground' 100 years ago is not 'common ground' today. i.e. (and in no way am i judging or condemning anyone this is applicable to), 100 years ago there were four basic 'common' principles that Western society agreed with. (trust me, this is going somewhere).
The common ground isn't 'becomming more uncommon'... I am refering to the basic precepts of being a human being i.e. empathy, beyond that of course there will always be debate. Hatred of gay marriage is not something core to the being of a human. You have missed my point completely, I am well aware that society's views on things have changed over the years but basic thing such as empathy (caring for others) that is hardwired into our biology through years of evolution has not changed.

Again...try reading up on something before you criticise it...For example, Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life...As a christian i have a christian worldview, about what i believe, why i believe it and the implications of what i believe. It's quite different to your worldview, and as a result of that, my 'purpose' in life will be different to yours. trust me. it's different.
And after all that hot air you don't actually tell me what grand purpose it is that you get... I'm not going to just 'trust you', front up with what it is.

Again, who decides what's "common" morals? The ever-changing values of society? Yea i'd trust them for sure...It's 'common' that the average teenager will be exposed to approximately 14,000 sexual references a year by the media.
I didn't even mention 'common' morals in that entire section you quoted, who are you arguing with?

Are you saying there's no absolutes? That in itself is an absolute statement.
There are no absolute morals. There is absolute truth, however we cannot ever completely know it. When I make a statement expressing something in 'absolute' terms, I accept that there is the possibility that I am wrong however first I'd need evidence to show that.

ok you just asked how he did it, and then claimed to have read the book. Come on now. by the way he addresses the common counter-arguments in "a case for faith" - maybe you should try reading that one too, unless you've read it already.
He doesn't address the counter-arguments... he often leaves after making his final remarks where as an atheist would want to continue arguing the point.

In fact the idea that there is common ground is fairly subjective because the fact that we're the same species, have mothers and will die doesn't really allow you to say "well therefore gay marriage is okay" or even "therefore murder is wrong".
No it doesn't and I've never claimed that myself... I've just pointed out that we do have a somewhat stable set of foundations for beginning such debate. We're not completely off the hook, floating around in a subjective vacuum of nothingness.

Last edited:

crustafa

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The common ground isn't 'becomming more uncommon'... I am refering to the basic precepts of being a human being i.e. empathy, beyond that of course there will always be debate. Hatred of gay marriage is not something core to the being of a human. You have missed my point completely, I am well aware that society's views on things have changed over the years but basic thing such as empathy (caring for others) that is hardwired into our biology through years of evolution has not changed.
first up i don't hate gays. at all.

ok so i agree to an extent. there are certain aspects that are intrinsic to our nature. obviously i disagree, as well...but you knew i would. of course things are intrinsic to us. i can't argue, and won't argue that. i personally would say a common creator, rather than a common ancestor.

Not-That-Bright said:
And after all that hot air you don't actually tell me what grand purpose it is that you get... I'm not going to just 'trust you', front up with what it is.
Ok so the purpose of my life is worship,discipleship, fellowship, ministry and missions. obviously you're going to think i'm a psycho because of that. i'm not trying to argue the purpose of life, i'm just saying that Christians find purpose in things you don't. Therefore, God gives purpose.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Just out of interest, could you explain what those 5 purposes entail? The first 3 seem like the same thing (?).

crustafa

HSC
Sure... here they are:
  • We were planned for God’s pleasure, so my first purpose is to offer worship. (don't even try and make that sound bad)
  • We were formed for God’s family, so my second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
  • We were created to become like Christ, so my third purpose is to learn discipleship.
  • We were shaped for serving God, so my fourth purpose is to practice ministry.
  • We were made for a mission, so my fifth purpose is to live out evangelism.
I get that to someone who doesn't believe what i do this probably sounds like something wierd as...im just letting you know what they are. If you want to know more, read the book.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
crustafa said:
im not saying they're alike.

not at all.

what im saying is though that society's view on gary marriages changed greately in one hundred years. they were completely taboo. nonexistent.

just like incestuous polygamy.

it's not about the marriages. it's about the ever-changing values of society.
you're probably better off finding another example to support your case. Most people who don't mind the idea of gay marriage are of the idea that homosexuality is part of the human condition, not some weird fetish.

Polygamy is a choice. You actively marry many. Using it as an example insists that homosexuality must also be a choice, which is another ball game together, hence why it is not the best example.

Gay marriage was not taboo. Homosexuality was taboo. Now that people sometimes identify homosexuality as just love and not some perversion against nature, and that we define marriage as a union which is driven by love, the concept of gay marriage spawns, or at least, comes into greater attention.

Without God and religion, you fall back to humanist values, as I feel NTB is suggesting. Some argue that God created humanist values, but quite frankly, you fall flat on your face because people without God hold onto humanist values without God anyway. These humanist values are there because it is part of the way we as a human race has survived: by looking after one another; love, freedom, truth, kindness, generousity.

You could say that having sex was taboo. But ever changing values have since moved that into another light. Even in more particular, sex before marriage.

Having homosexual sex with a blind donkey is probably taboo too. I don't see where you'd be going with this. Yes values change, and I won't rule out any possibility that the stuff I consider unnatural and immoral might one day be fine. People use to think freeing their black slaves would be absurd. Women voting or in the workforce was absurd. Where are you going with this, I'm not sure. That we should stop now before we let incest polygamy allowable? I'm not saying I want to allow it, but as a functioning and free society, we must always always always analyse our values, hence always everchanging. You can't ever stop that. And based on these common values which I believe are also in the very grain and element of every religious value, I think its safe to say that each moving value is usually a step forward.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
first up i don't hate gays. at all.
I didn't say that you did...

ok so i agree to an extent. there are certain aspects that are intrinsic to our nature. obviously i disagree, as well...but you knew i would. of course things are intrinsic to us. i can't argue, and won't argue that. i personally would say a common creator, rather than a common ancestor.
Doesn't really matter for the point I'm making anyway.

As for your purpose... you could have quite simply said 'to live my life for God' or something along those lines. Personally I don't think that's all that amazing of a purpose to find in your life so I'm not impressed after all the grandstanding I hear about it.

Charli-lou

HSC
hey i can tell u what my purpose is...

i didnt grow up in a Christian home...the exact opposite actually, so therefore my context is alterior to my morals...ie. where i was brought up in a morraly inobservant context, i now glean my moral doctrine from God (i dont mean tht i think i will go to hell if i sin).

My purpose is similar to what Crustafa outlined...
to worship God, love others(real love i mean, not the feeling the action) help thos ewho are hurting, sick, sad in watever way i can, enjoy life and follow the direction He leads me...im sorry but you can not form an arguement to disprove the factual nature of my purpose...how would you know if its false???

i beleive in God, and i have also had doubts...but i cant convince myself of anything other than the fact tht God exists

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
crustafa said:
Sure... here they are:
  • We were planned for God’s pleasure, so my first purpose is to offer worship. (don't even try and make that sound bad)
  • We were formed for God’s family, so my second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
  • We were created to become like Christ, so my third purpose is to learn discipleship.
  • We were shaped for serving God, so my fourth purpose is to practice ministry.
  • We were made for a mission, so my fifth purpose is to live out evangelism.
I get that to someone who doesn't believe what i do this probably sounds like something wierd as...im just letting you know what they are. If you want to know more, read the book.
Cool. I honestly didn't mean to make you sound bad, I just challenge people if I disagree with them. And just in case you thought otherwise, although I don't necessarily agree with it, I asked you to explain the above purely because I was genuinely interested. :)

Last edited:

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Charli-lou said:
hey i can tell u what my purpose is...

i didnt grow up in a Christian home...the exact opposite actually, so therefore my context is alterior to my morals...ie. where i was brought up in a morraly inobservant context, i now glean my moral doctrine from God (i dont mean tht i think i will go to hell if i sin).

My purpose is similar to what Crustafa outlined...
to worship God, love others(real love i mean, not the feeling the action) help thos ewho are hurting, sick, sad in watever way i can, enjoy life and follow the direction He leads me...im sorry but you can not form an arguement to disprove the factual nature of my purpose...how would you know if its false???

i beleive in God, and i have also had doubts...but i cant convince myself of anything other than the fact tht God exists
When you say "morally inobservant" what do you mean? Do you mean a religion different to Christianity? Atheism? That your family does whatever the hell they want regardless of the law? All families have morals of some kind, whether or not they agree with traditional Christian values.

What got you interested in Christianity to begin with? I similarly believe in helping and loving others, but I believe that because I think it's the right thing to do, not because a god told me to.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
crustafa said:
So if no God, then what?

It's all relative right. What's good for you is good for you. What's good for me is good for me. Without God there is no absolutes. Without absolutes one's sense of ethics and morals are irrelevant, as they differ with emotions and circumstance.

If there's no God, then there is no point of being here. So there's no right, no wrong. Evolution = natural selection - those that are able to adapt to their surroundings are more likely to survive on pass on those characteristics to their offspring. If this is true, then what you're in essence saying is it's okay for me to go lock up 20 fourteen-year old girls and rape them in my backyard.

No God = No purpose. No morals. Why? Because what you believe as 'right' and wrong is ultimately different to the person next to you. Truth is not relative. Truth is absolute. If you put 50 people in a room and say 'which way is north?' they're all going to point different directions but not all going to be right. The same is with truth. Someone has to be right. Someone has to be wrong.

And you're wrong.

"The Case for Christ" - by Lee Strobel. A journalist who is more cynical, more skeptical and has more qualifications than you do. He set out to disprove the whole Christianity thing, he couldn't. He became a Christian. Why don't you try reading up on stuff like this? Try out "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis while you're at it. Christians aren't as dumb as you think we are. Don't go thinking we haven't thought it out, and that we're just following blindly.
Crustafa, one issue I have with your morality argument is that you argue from need to necessity. You see a world without god as a morally depraved reality in which 'anything goes' and assert that there must be a universal moral reference point. You also have an inner conviction that absolute truth exists, that it must exist, and so you conclude that god must exist, since it is only through god's existence that you can conceive of such truth.

I believe that there that are certainly an infinite number of logical, reason derived truths which exist independent of god. Take the statement 'there are no absolute truths', which as you rightly pointed out is an 'absolute truth' kind of statement, and notice that it cannot be true. So you have your first absolute truth: 'there exists some x such that x is an absolute truth'... or you could just take the negation of the proposition in italics. Add to this the plethora of mathematical truths which, in my mind, have a kind of transcendental, platonic status.

Can we make similar arguments for morality in the absence of a god? It seems quite possible that we cannot. But this prompts another question - need this be a problem? It is not difficult to make strong arguments for why murder is wrong or why people should be afforded certain degrees of freedom/liberty. Some of them even attain that a priori ring which absolute truths so often smack of.

You say:
.........."then what you're in essence saying is it's okay for me to go lock up 20 fourteen-year old girls and rape them in my backyard".

The absence of absolute moral truth means that there is no absolute moral code which labels your actions as immoral. However, and this is a big 'however', you should note that the majority of people in the world would class your actions as immoral. For all the differences in values around the world there are still common themes which indicate that humans perhaps share some kind of common internal moral faculty.

My personal proposal is that our interpersonal ethical sensibilities arise from developed capacities for empathy and reasoning. To understand and be affected by the feelings and inner worlds of others causes us to take them into consideration when we act and make decisions. We dislike it when we experience pain and harm so, by extension, we realise that others feel similar. This awareness of the inner worlds of others should, I believe, help us to overcome selfishness and act in their interests as well as ours. A more finely developed empathic sense should allow us to extend these ideas universally to other rational (or simply feeling) beings and perhaps take up a maxim similar to the kantian 'treat other beings as ends, not means'.

It is also worth pointing out that the notion of a social contract can exist happily without an absolute ethical reference point. A social contract merely requires that the members of the society agree to the terms of the contract which, generally, will restrict members of the society but in such a way that individuals receive great benefits through distribution of labour, social support, order and stablility, common practises etc. For example, people may form a community/society on the basis of the agreement that they will not kill each other. This takes away the freedom of being able to kill your neighbours if they anger you but it also confers upon you a great amount of personal security. In this way a 'moral code' of sorts can be generated via agreement in a way which benefits the people involved, which is protected from much of the relativist argument and which can even be justified through a relativist form of utility without reference to absolute values.

I apologise if the various points I have made above lack coherence - they were just typed as they came to my head without much forethough. As to your assertion that I am wrong: grow up.

Last edited:

minstrel

HSC
erawamai said:
Hilter repents on his death bed and submits to god...he goes to heaven.

Mr x lives a clean life and is often charitable. He doesn't believe in god. He goes to hell.

Religion isn't very moral or just is it?
I agree. the promises that Jesus offered of eternal life to tax collectors, criminals and outcasts in his time were not fair- it is because he works on the basis of grace, not 'even stevens' or works

ichigo.bankai

HSC
ihavenothing said:
No, I believe that you are too afraid to question your belief. Or you do this just to be "in a group", thats why apostasy in Islam is punished by death because they know how inferior their belief is.
ONE THING IS THAT U SHOULD GO AND LEARN ABIT MORE HISTORY ABOUT ISLAM BEFORE U COME TO A CONCLUSION ABOUT US .
AND ANOTHER THING LENGY U SHOULD BE ABIT MORE OPEN MINDED AND NOT MAKE FUN OF OTHE PEOPLE AND THEIR GODS AND BESIDES I DIDNT FORCE MY VIEWS AND IM ONLY JOING THE DISSCUSSIONS LIKE THE REST OF THE HUMANS ANWSERING THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY SO NO OFFENCE TO ANY ONE AND DONT INTEND TO OFFEND ME . :mad1:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
If it offends you, too bad. I get offended by getting called a faggot and that my lifestyle is incompatible with God and all that other bullshit but I don't whinge when some dead person has been criticised. Your argument only proves that your belief system does not tolerate criticism and only further shows your hypocracy. And I do know a lot about Islam, but do you know it 100%? course not, nobody can.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Here's a random thought, completely unrelated to the topic currently under discussion. Not sure if anyone has brought it up, either, because I'm far too lazy to go sifting through 200-odd pages of madness, but here it goes;

I was reading, all the way back on the first page, when gerhard stated:
gerhard said:
ive got a question about christianity/monotheistic gods. Ive never really understood this, im sure christians must have some sort of answer for it since it seems like such an obvious problem.

Firstly, God is omniscient. He knows everything, he is outside of time. he knows the past and the future.

Secondly, I have free choice to accept god or not. My future is not pre-determined, I can make my own decisions.

But how can I have a free choice if god already knows what Im going to do? God knows the future, he surely must know what I am going to do and if he does then I wouldnt have free choice. If he doesnt know what Im going to do, then he isnt much of a god.
And that got me thinking, of all things, about quantum mechanics. The existence of a God would disprove the theory of Schroedinger's cat, because as God is supposedly omniscient, he knows all and, therefore, the cat's fate is predetermined. There is never a point in time where the cat is 'inbetween states' - neither alive or dead but both at the same time, and therefore an 'unresolved' cat (until the box is opened to an observer, which forces the cat to become resolved, i.e. alive or dead), which was the whole point behind the thought experiment.

Given, as I have said previously, that God is omniscient (i.e. knows past, present, and future) - there is never a time when, in any situation, that the cat is unresolved. Its fate was ALWAYS predetermined because God knows the future and, consequently, is an ever-present observer to all cats-in-boxes and therefore, here we go in a circle again, the cat is always alive or dead, not both.

*deep breath*

There lies the inner contradiction - God is omniscient, yet we have free will. According to quantum mechanics, however, both these statements are mutually exclusive.

Discuss.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
webby234 said:
Yep - I brought that up before :). Received no coherant response, just like much of what has been written. I don't quite see what it shows about free will though - I think it simply shows that quantum mechanics and god are logically incompatible. And as quantum mechanics is used for practical purposes eg in electrical components, I would see that as an argument showing god is logically impossible. Of course you can always say god transcends logic - that's the response I usually get, but it really doesn't seem satisfactory.
Especially considering that, as far as I'm aware, there is no dogma that states that God transcends logic (omniscience =/= logical transcension).

Let's see if someone is brave enough to offer an intelligent rebuttal this time around, eh?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If you want to have some kind of consistency between god and quantum indeterminacy then just jump on the many-worlds interpretation bandwagon and postulate that god, as an omniscient being, has knowledge of all possible worlds. Of course, this could create problems in that these other world would then exist in the eys of god, making it near certain that your favoured religious text is different in another world and that your prefered prophet died at a young age in another. The implications for religion are interesting. You could also take an even more out there interpretation and posit that the collapse of a wavefunction is caused by a conscious observer (in this case you would have god causing the collapse of the universal wavefunction, once more restoring determinism to your world view)... and on go the theories.

ichigo.bankai

HSC
i reckon u guys are just going around in circles.Its easy if u accept that the sandwhich u r eating was made by u then y dont u accept that somone created u if u dont thats up to u but if u do then i guess thats stilll up to u .
so y r we having this thread if no one wants to accept other people thoughts:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)