Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

aussiechica7

HSC
(KFunk, no, I'm a Christian. I understand how faith works, and just because I believe something doesn't mean it is or is not true. I believe it is true, and if I'm right, I'll find out for sure when I die, but until then I recognise it to be faith, something I strongly believe in but cannot prove to be true one way or the other. Would you consider yourself atheist, agnostic, theist, other?)

Lengy, I think the scientific concensus is that we were somehow created (through evolution, God, whatever)... however it happened, we had a begining. I'm not sure if there are any scientists who believe that the universe has always existed or anything like that. So in that sense we had a beginning, we had a "creator" whether or not that creator was intelligent, spiritual, physical, whatever.

Hotshot "If God exists? nothing changes, If he doesnt exist? Nothing changes. The fact that both outcomes have no effect"... perhaps one could argue that nothing would change for this life, but we can't say for sure that it would change nothing for the next life. If an afterlife does exist, and the existence of and belief in God is important to that next life, then we cannot say for sure that the outcomes have no effect.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
KFunk, no, I'm a Christian. I understand how faith works, and just because I believe something doesn't mean it is or is not true. I believe it is true, and if I'm right, I'll find out for sure when I die, but until then I recognise it to be faith, something I strongly believe in but cannot prove to be true one way or the other. Would you consider yourself atheist, agnostic, theist, other?
I lean towards atheism but I realise that the strongest position I can justify is probably agnosticism. I find it interesting that, through rational analysis, you come to a conclusion which appears to be an agnostic one and yet you believe in god (the philosopher Kierkegaard would probably admire you). What I am curious about is this: if you don't think that we can have any evidence of god's existence (correct me if I misrepresent your position) then why do you believe in god? To use NTB's well worn question --> if you believe in god despite a lack of evidence then what stops you from believing in cupid or hobgoblins?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think a God would need a Creator. Just because things in the natural, tangible world have a beginning does not mean the One who created them needs to have a beginning.
I can conceed that it's probably true that a 'God' by your definition doesn't need a creator, the problem is this leaves us knowing nothing. This possibility is no more likely then there being a mechanism we don't yet understand that created the universe, that perhaps our relative (i.e. known) universe is one of many universes that are cyclical yet have no ultimate beginning or end etc etc etc I can go on ad infinitum.

What does it matter that you can say a magical being could have done it? It's definately possible but at the same time I worry when you start to envoke supreme beings that can bend all the rules we think we've got established, you might as well not have an argument at all.

I have not read all 278 pages of this argument- I tend to stay away from online arguments about God because after 1000s of years of arguing man is no closer to conclusively proving whether or not God exists (and in what form) so I doubt its going to happen on an internet forum.
There's been very strong arguments against the existance of a god for thousands of years... The only reason it isn't commonly accepted knowledge (imo) is because people are yet to accept these arguments and are willing to apply a burden of proof to this question which they do not to any other question in their life just to protect their hopes.

One thing we must realise is that God can not necessarily be proven or disproven in a science lab. We can hail the glory of science but it lacks the capacity to prove or disprove God.
Nothing can be proven or disproven with the certainty which you are asking for with God. In medicine, if we look at a solution under a microscope and find no evidence of quality X - That does not mean it's not there, just that we don't know if it is.

Take this example;

Say we want to disprove the santa myth, one way to do this might be to prove reindeer can't fly. We set up an experiment, we push 10,000 reindeer off the top of a building and none of them fly. Well if we accept an animal that can fly when pushed from a building would fly, then it appears reindeer can't fly. How many more experiments do we need to do (in your opinion) to provisionally prove there is no such thing as flying reindeer?

I am weary of people who say they can prove/disprove God's existence but I am not weary of people who say "on the basis of my philosophical view on life, weighing up everything I see, and choosing to take into account my personal experiences, I choose to believe in the existance/nonexistance of God."
I am weary of people who are willing to place an unbelievable burden of proof to protect a fantasy they hold so dear, but are unwilling to place that same burden of proof in situations where it is of no benefit to them to do so. I believe on the lack of evidence that there is no God, just as I believe on the lack of evidence that there is no tooth fairy etc. This isn't conclusive proof by any means, but at the very least I'm consistent in my logic.

This does not mean faith is something less than science, something wishy washy people just want to believe for no good reason. Many people have come to faith decisions after agonising over it for years (not just emotionally agonising, but studying history, archeology, philosophy, etc.).
Definately, but I think you'd find (especially in contemporary times) most such people have a faith so disconnected from your own that they'd seem akin to atheists to you.

Also, as great as science is, we have to realise its limits. For one thing, our scientific beliefs tend to change of the years as we find more evidence for or against things.
That is a STRENGTH of science, I don't think the best way to describe it is as a limit and I also feel you are overstating how big the deviations in scientific belief have been. Do you really feel that something which is not willing to learn from its mistakes is greater than that which is?

We should hold on to scientific claims tentatively, assuming that they are "true" until we can find sufficient reason to believe otherwise. But in a sense, even in this, we are operating in a low-level of faith- choosing to accept that something is true, even though it might not be, and we cannot conclusively prove it one way or the other.
Yes, it is a faith (if you want to stretch the term so much in this context), it is a faith in the best evidence we have at the moment and I am fairly sure you live your everyday life by its principles.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
perhaps one could argue that nothing would change for this life, but we can't say for sure that it would change nothing for the next life. If an afterlife does exist, and the existence of and belief in God is important to that next life, then we cannot say for sure that the outcomes have no effect.
It wouldnt change for any life? What you are saying is that you know what happens afterlife or you know what GOd is going to do? the fact is no-one knows what is going to happen and hence whatever you do will not change anything or have any effect.

For eg, If GOD exists and there is an afterlife and god says if you dont 'believe' you will be hell. The fact is the person has already made his or her mind not to believe whether GOd exists or not? And hence the outcome is not affected.

If a person believes - the he/she has already made up their mind as well. The same applies to those in between.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lengy said:
Everyone needs to read The God Delusion.
I disagree with much of his overtones that the world would be significantly different if people didn't believe in religion as I'm not sure the majority of people even truly do believe. Funny how where once the church denied the existance of true atheists I am now proposing the opposite... perhaps I'll be shown to be equally wrong but I don't know.

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
I'm not saying you should be taking what he says to heart, just to read it. It's not as simple as Theism and Atheism, or even Agnosticism. There's Deism and Patheism and a whole lot more.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
lengy said:
Everyone needs to read The God Delusion.
If I wanted to see someone insult people who are religious, I'd just read your posts. Some of the statement's in it are extremely stupid eg: without religion there would be "no suicide bombers, etc."
And it seems rather than actually researching a particular topic, he'd rather attack something than go into the subject in any depth. Eagleton said it best in his review: "Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology."
Dawkins also argues that "atheists...don't do evil things in the name of atheism", ummmmm Stalin anyone?

Overall, pretty poor book. If Dawkins was consistent in his arguments, or actually tried to cover subjects rather than point out flaws, it may have been a more interesting read.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Oh and before anyone asks, I'm a Catholic but I don't go to Church except for Easter/Christmas. And yes, I believe in God, but not in everything the Bible has to offer

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Overall, pretty poor book. If Dawkins was consistent in his arguments, or actually tried to cover subjects rather than point out flaws, it may have been a more interesting read.
Have you actually read it? To me the end of the book is greater than the beginning.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Ok I'll be honest, I only read the first 4 chapters and chapter 8, then I browsed through a few responses/reviews. Is the end really worth reading? Because the first part kind of put me off the rest of the book

lengy

HSC
I've only read the first three chapters and loved it.

Sting00

HSC
To quote Albert Einstein, "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."
Basically, Spinozism is a panthiest philosophy that centres around the belief that "God is All" and "All is God", and that God does not control the individual as he/she has free will to make their own decisions, but is intertwined in everything that we see before us.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Sting00 said:
To quote Albert Einstein, "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."
Basically, Spinozism is a panthiest philosophy that centres around the belief that "God is All" and "All is God", and that God does not control the individual as he/she has free will to make their own decisions, but is intertwined in everything that we see before us.
I've got no contention with such beliefs, my only problem is why do you insist on the usage of the word god? It muddies an already blackened water.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Keep those who believe satisfied I suppose.
But that's my fear. I worry that perhaps people evoking pantheistic gods are merely doing so as a way to shield their true beliefs, else I cannot completely understand the need to call it a god at all.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think you're quite following my point, either that or I've misunderstood you. I'm dealing with pantheistic gods, or more specifically Benedict Spinoza's conception of god.
  • I'm aware that in the bible God displays a persona, this however is not an example of a pantheistic 'god'.
  • My question is why you'd call a being without a persona 'God'? It appears to serve no purpose than to keep the door open for the personal God and perhaps provide a more poetic perspective on the universe.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You could probably tie it with nature and how it provides us food and shelter etc like a parent, but that's only me reaching for straws for a connection.

Other than that, yes, just seems really unnecessary to call it "God" when all they appear to be worshipping is the universe and their environment - a sort of respect of everything around them. You can't really class that as some sort of religion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)