Does God exist? (7 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

nathan71088

HSC
Schroedinger said:
No, Religion does that. Science seems to explain everything up to a point.

We don't know the answers at all, nor does REligion. This all seems foolish.
An interesting point. Many people say that religion cannot prove the existence of god. So I agree with this and say that it comes down to a leap of faith to believe in god.

BUT

Just as there is not enough evidence to definitively show the existence of god, there is equally the same lack of evidence to disprove god. Therefore one must make the same leap of faith to dis-believe in god.

Truthfully neither opinion is more foolish than the other...they both are equally strong.

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
id say this is probably the second most argued question, only after "what came first, chicken or egg"

personally i think its refreshing that people are debating over profound things such as this... but i guess in my catholic, and there bias view, i would say why do people feel the need to prove or disprove the existence of a divine power?

if it makes so many people happy and takes away the partial fear of death, why argue against it? yes, i know the crusades did happen, and most wars are fought over religion... but if they werent fought against religion, surely humans would find something else to argue about. its just nature...

HSC
gods-lil-rocker said:
minnn2 said:
I'm atheist.
But one of my friends is a major Hillsonger, and when asked what god sounds like she says he sounds like her.

Could it be that god is just one's conscience?

Plus, all the stuff about creation is scientifically incorrect.

If you ask a christian/catholic/whatever how creation works, they just say something about God creating the earth in 7 days. It has no real scientific explanation at all, whereas evolution makes much more sense.

A person of Christian belief, prove me wrong please.
I'm interested in how it all works.
Why does the earth being created in 7 days seem so unrealistic? Probably because one doesn't understand and can't comprehend the power and awesomeness of God.... If God wanted to create the earth in 7 days, he could of... if he wanted to create it in one day.. he could've... if he wanted to do it through evolution, he could of..... but the fact is... Humans have been created special and with a purpose, which is why I chose to believe God breathed life into us on the 6th Day....

But really, God made everything in the early old... Adam and Eve weren't children, because if they had have been they would not have lived long as there was no one older to look after the physical needs a child has. In the same way, animals would have been made ages and probably the trees... the garden of eden was prosperous and bore fruit... therefore everything living on the earth would have been 'old' or 'aged'...

So who can say that he did not also create the earth aged?

I find evolution hard to understand... Sure I understand natural selection and species developing, but I don't see how that created a whole new species.... or how we have feelings/emotions/spirituality........ if we didnt have a higher being.
Trust me. The earth being created in 7 days is VERY hard to believe.
You make it seem as if this man in the sky is possible of doing everything.
The stories of the bible, sorry to burst the bubble, are in general absolute rubbish.

You cannot put 2 animals of every species on one heck of a big boat.
You cannot split a sea in two.
You cannot ressurect anybody.
You cannot create a woman from a man's rib.
You cannot prove anything from the bible.

Honestly, if GOD or whoever really cared, why are we killing ourselves off?
If he can control EVERYTHING and if life is a huge card of dramatic irony where he knows everything... Are we all just board game figures?

HSC
O rly now :eek: I thought I was just a 'wannabe mean girl replica'

/ cut.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

minnn2 said:
Trust me. The earth being created in 7 days is VERY hard to believe.

You make it seem as if this man in the sky is possible of doing everything.
The stories of the bible, sorry to burst the bubble, are in general absolute rubbish.

You cannot put 2 animals of every species on one heck of a big boat.
You cannot split a sea in two.
You cannot ressurect anybody.
You cannot create a woman from a man's rib.
You cannot prove anything from the bible.
Yeah and because there are dubious parts in the Judeo-Christian religious text, God does not exist!!!!!

rofl.

PS: Many accounts in the OT (as Jesus' parables in the NT) should be considered aetiological myths designed to explain that which could not be explained at the time. Ie, the Bible is dated and needs to be constantly reevaluated within its original meaning and modern society.

This business of the canonical text is hideous.

Honestly, if GOD or whoever really cared, why are we killing ourselves off?
Who says that God would care? Why is it given that if God exits, he cares? Do you give a shit about ants killing each other?

That is ignoring the point that an inherent part of Genesis - that God left mankind to do as it pleases after the exile from Eden.

If he can control EVERYTHING and if life is a huge card of dramatic irony where he knows everything... Are we all just board game figures?
Perhaps. What's your point?

Does that prove that God does not exist?

webby234

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Yeah and because there are dubious parts in the Judeo-Christian religious text, God does not exist!!!!!

rofl.
I think don't think she was saying that - she was responding to the person who claimed the world was created in 7 days?

PS: Many accounts in the OT (as Jesus' parables in the NT) should be considered aetiological myths designed to explain that which could not be explained at the time. Ie, the Bible is dated and needs to be constantly reevaluated within its original meaning and modern society.

This business of the canonical text is hideous.

Who says that God would care? Why is it given that if God exits, he cares? Do you give a shit about ants killing each other?

That is ignoring the point that an inherent part of Genesis - that God left mankind to do as it pleases after the exile from Eden.
But Eden didn't actually exist, right? It's just one of those 'aetiological myths'. Besides, doesn't sending Jesus suggest that he's not just leaving 'mankind to do as it pleases'?

To go off on a bit of a tangent - where can you get your conception of original sin from if you say god just 'caused' (I've argued why that's impossible at least twice already and never got a response) the big bang and we are a natural consequence of that? How can there be the notion of sin as something that humans brought into the world?

Perhaps. What's your point?

Does that prove that God does not exist?
Well it shows that at a fundamental level we have no responsibility for our actions, so it makes the whole concept of heaven and hell useless for a start.

HSC
webby234 said:
I think don't think she was saying that - she was responding to the person who claimed the world was created in 7 days?
That's right. I was. But personally, I don't think it's possible.

Sure I may be narrowminded, young and naive, but I still find it very difficult to believe such a thing happened.

I believe in the Law of Conservation of Mass: Matter cannot be created nor destroyed.

Shucks, God must be HUGE. I mean to grab a load of asteroids and mould them with his hands... WOW THAT'S JUST SO POSSIBLE.
[note the sarcasm RIGHT HERE]

And Dom is right too ^

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
i just read this randomly on yahooanswers and it's so funny...

"
I have this one friend who tells me that dinosaurs didn't really exist because they aren't mentioned in the Bible. Really...he said that to me with a straight face. So, I take the dude in my office and hand him one of the fossils from my collection: a fragment of dinosaur bone.
His rebuttal: "This is fake, just like the dinosaur bones in the museums."
Me: "Huh? What the...? So you are saying someone made fake bones out of plastic or something?"
Him: "No, not anyone on earth. Those fake bones were put here on earth by Satan to lead us astray! It's a test!" (I'm not making this crap up, I swear! Haha!)
Me: "Uh-huh....yeah, ok. Riiiiiight! So you wanna get lunch or something?" At that point I just had to change the subject. I mean, how the hell do you reason with someone like that? Haha!
"

lolololololol :rofl:

Gann

HSC
N/A
webby234 said:
Learn moar Physics.

It's actually energy can not be created or destroyed. (otherwise many ideas about the Big Bang would be impossible). Mass is created and destroyed all the time (or at least converted to and from energy) - not least in nuclear reactions. Mass is a type of energy (E = mc2 :)). And all that really proves is that god isn't a physical being in our universe.

I should start by stating that I don't know much about physics.
I find it hard to believe that space is a constant.
Can any known form of energy exist without space?
How do physicists know that energy doesn't have mass (they must have some pretty good scales. lol).
If energy can be converted into mass wouldn't it need to have some amount of mass itself.
I personally believe (although really I just think and am therefore extremely confused - which leaves me no choice but to try not to think about it and live my life as altruisticaly as I can) that there was something extremely complex before space.

Raaaaaachel

HSC
ssejamafone said:
i just read this randomly on yahooanswers and it's so funny...

"
I have this one friend who tells me that dinosaurs didn't really exist because they aren't mentioned in the Bible. Really...he said that to me with a straight face. So, I take the dude in my office and hand him one of the fossils from my collection: a fragment of dinosaur bone.
His rebuttal: "This is fake, just like the dinosaur bones in the museums."
Me: "Huh? What the...? So you are saying someone made fake bones out of plastic or something?"
Him: "No, not anyone on earth. Those fake bones were put here on earth by Satan to lead us astray! It's a test!" (I'm not making this crap up, I swear! Haha!)
Me: "Uh-huh....yeah, ok. Riiiiiight! So you wanna get lunch or something?" At that point I just had to change the subject. I mean, how the hell do you reason with someone like that? Haha!
"

lolololololol :rofl:
I know its sooooooo frustrating. :burn: No matter how thoroughly you discredit christians they continue to repeat their fallacious arguments.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Raaaaaachel said:
I know its sooooooo frustrating. :burn: No matter how thoroughly you discredit christians they continue to repeat their fallacious arguments.
Actually this argument and the nature of the question has no verifiable conclusion and is therefore nothing more than a matter of opinion.

Raaaaaachel

HSC
bshoc said:
Actually this argument and the nature of the question has no verifiable conclusion and is therefore nothing more than a matter of opinion.
Typical jesus freak. Theres no conclusion that can be drawn from the available evidence so we best assume some god exists.

This page actually shows that God as portrayed by the Bible is actually impossible http://www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Raaaaaachel said:
Typical jesus freak. Theres no conclusion that can be drawn from the available evidence so we best assume some god exists.

This page actually shows that God as portrayed by the Bible is actually impossible http://www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm
Awesome work, now you too can be a website academic!

No seriously, trying to prove something based on a website with the URL evilbible.com rofl.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Gann said:
I should start by stating that I don't know much about physics.
I find it hard to believe that space is a constant.
Can any known form of energy exist without space?
How do physicists know that energy doesn't have mass (they must have some pretty good scales. lol).
If energy can be converted into mass wouldn't it need to have some amount of mass itself.
I personally believe (although really I just think and am therefore extremely confused - which leaves me no choice but to try not to think about it and live my life as altruisticaly as I can) that there was something extremely complex before space.
You shouldve stopped typing after you typed that sentence i put in bold. Plz stop, it hurts to read.

Bullet4Valetine

HSC
God.
This Is Redikulous.

I Believe In God. I Dont Care What Ya'll Say. Its A Belief.
We Discussed This Is Classes. And Few Good Points Were Brought Up.

Im Not Lacking In Faith, But I Believe It Gives Hope To Some.
People Need Something To Explain How The World Came To Be.
Hence, The Creation Of God?
More Logical People Want Something More 'Solid'. So Choose Not To Believe.
Just Choose Whether You Believe Or Not. [Hope That All Made Sense]

Dont Criticise Beliefs Though.

Typical jesus freak. Theres no conclusion that can be drawn from the available evidence so we best assume some god exists.v

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If we don't criticise beliefs, how will we achieve cultural/institutional change anywhere, ever?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)