Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

maccasjunkie

HSC
I feel religions are strong because people NEED something to believe in and so arguin about the realism of god is a stupid idea... Who will ever know?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
maccasjunkie said:
I feel religions are strong because people NEED something to believe in and so arguin about the realism of god is a stupid idea... Who will ever know?
Its worth argueing about because it (religion = belief in God) influences/affects everyones lives while it is still around. . (Think WYD)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
milocole said:
Religeon is False
So is your spelling :) :)
Im not really religious in a traditional sense, but I like it , I think it gives people comfort and structure...I've often wished I were a Catholic.

maccasjunkie

HSC
I agree ...
It also gives people something to live for... Alot of people are still waiting for god to return... they have something to hope for

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
maccasjunkie said:
I agree ...
It also gives people something to live for... Alot of people are still waiting for god to return... they have something to hope for
True.
Religious people also have moral codes that make doing life around them easier and more pleasant. (generally speaking)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Yeah but they have a sickening 'moral absolutism' that they seek to foist on everyone around them.
WHAT????????????????
Give ONE example of me doing that to you. ONE.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Yeah but they have a sickening 'moral absolutism' that they seek to foist on everyone around them.
yeah i'll have to agree that unfortunately it's sometimes the case...but i should add that religion (or at least the religion i know) is all about a personal relationship with God rather than rigidly following proscribed regulations.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
of course they're important, and God made those rules for a good reason, but observing those rules can't make anybody right with God because we'd still fall hopelessly short of the standard required to be saved. that's why Christianity is much more about knowing Jesus Christ on a personal level and relying on him to bring about the lasting change in our lives that we fail miserably at when relying on our own strength, if that kind of makes sense.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
inasero said:
of course they're important, and God made those rules for a good reason, but observing those rules can't make anybody right with God because we'd still fall hopelessly short of the standard required to be saved. that's why Christianity is much more about knowing Jesus Christ on a personal level and relying on him to bring about the lasting change in our lives that we fail miserably at when relying on our own strength, if that kind of makes sense.
Nah.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The argument that the church gives morality is fucking stupid. The church has done more brutal shit than any body throughtout history, under the guise of holding to a moral code. It's a fact that morality (for the most part, except for superficialities like sex before marriage, abortion) is determined by society and not by the church. Were that not the case, why have moral standards changed so much in the last... 200 years even though the bible hasn't?

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
*TRUE* said:
WHAT????????????????
Give ONE example of me doing that to you. ONE.
Okay, I'm not talking about you here, or anyone in particular.

There are some fundies that I know who believe that the Earth is only 6000 years old, the theory of evolution is absolute crap, every non-Christian needs to be 'saved' or they'll go to hell, and that their mission is to populate the world (so they have like, 6 kids) etc, etc.

... It's a wonderful world, isn't it?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
Why bother with this explanation? You don't need logic.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Besides, Inasero is wrong. According to the bible as long as I truly have faith in jesus I can do whatever the fuck I like, just gotta go to communion every now and then.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Riet said:
Besides, Inasero is wrong. According to the bible as long as I truly have faith in jesus I can do whatever the fuck I like, just gotta go to communion every now and then.
TBH I'm gunna disagree with this... I didn't bother to read what he wrote but I think it's a misconception that you can do whatever you want and then just say 'i believe in jesus', you have to truly believe in jesus... so say you're hitler, that would mean you'd have to come to accept the true christ, realise your actions were wrong and truly feel the incredible burden for all your sin/guilt. I think atheists often make this sound like it's an easy test to pass but it's not necessarily at all, if there is this 'god' he will know if you're truly repentant and truly believe in the real jesus christ.

Of course maybe I've read you wrong.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I said if you "truly have faith." Most religious people don't commit attrocities, but neither do most atheists. The bible states that god is all merciful though, and so if you truly believe in him (and I don't mean stab someone and say "lol, i <3 jesus.") you will be saved. There is little difference between a little sin and a big one, in the eyes of the lord.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
yeah i'll have to agree that unfortunately it's sometimes the case...but i should add that religion (or at least the religion i know) is all about a personal relationship with God rather than rigidly following proscribed regulations.
that i what i think to a relationship with God is at the heart of christianity when you think about it

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Riet said:
I said if you "truly have faith." Most religious people don't commit attrocities, but neither do most atheists. The bible states that god is all merciful though, and so if you truly believe in him (and I don't mean stab someone and say "lol, i <3 jesus.") you will be saved. There is little difference between a little sin and a big one, in the eyes of the lord.
I think that some sins arre worse then others, like i think sexual sin and murder is above, say lying, i think that God will forgive someone who truely has a relationship with him.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I think that some sins arre worse then others, like i think sexual sin and murder is above, say lying, i think that God will forgive someone who truely has a relationship with him.
oh really? i think the bible says that all sins are equally wrong, but i'll have to find the reference for you. to deny that would be effectively to believe in the Catholic doctrine of mortal and venial sins

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)