• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
his interpretation is not wrong, if someone really truely desires to know God, he will provide a means of that happening, it is all in God's Control.

how is it not a sacrifice

the bible also says we are all sinners and all deserve hell
What if I've seeked him yet have had no answers?

"not trying hard enough" ?

What constitutes to trying 'hard enough' ?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
tommykins said:
great subject really, its so fun.

wait until you hit harder 3unit :]
ahh don't scare me. i went away for a week and i'm three exercises behind still because of all the time it takes me to do english. and it's not as if i can bludge because i have mr edwards. and we have a week until our first exam. yay. ahh i shouldn't be on here.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
hermand said:
what about the people [eg, muslim, buddhist, etc] that never had a chance to convert to christianity because they've never left their home country, do they burn in hell too? because then they're doomed from the time they're born. how fair is that?

i also don't believe in a god who can let kids die so young, when they have so much to live for.

so god hasn't ever answered my prayers, even when i did believe in him.
but they can go to eternal life which is better then this.

if they truly desire to know God, he will reveal himself to them,

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
hermand said:
what about the people [eg, muslim, buddhist, etc] that never had a chance to convert to christianity because they've never left their home country, do they burn in hell too? because then they're doomed from the time they're born. how fair is that?

i also don't believe in a god who can let kids die so young, when they have so much to live for.

so god hasn't ever answered my prayers, even when i did believe in him.
It does seem very unfair hey. but the chances of being able to convert a person born into islam in a western country is very slim, really. They have it so deep ingrained in them it is very tough. but as a christian we are supposed to go out and bring people to christianity from all over the world, it is one of our duties, which i suppose does help that a bit. still not totally though.

Have you ever read the narnia series? the bloke who wrote that was a devout christian. he wrote it to reflect aspects of christianity. In the last book there is a war between aslan (i.e. christian) and the other side. There is this one bloke who was seriously devoted to that other side, and would fight to the death for it, even though it was the wrong side in reality. However, he never had his opportunity to switch and fight for aslan's side. At the end of the book, he manages to get into "heaven", because he fought so hard for his god, and he never had an opportunity to fight for aslan's side. but aslan (which is like jesus, just in this book) realised this and let him into heaven.

thats kinda bit messed up, but hey, i just woke up.

I'm not sure if it actually is a good reflection of beliefs, but it's a different angle from a renowned christian i think.

Also, in reply to the kids dying young, that is an example of sin in the world, and free will. not saying that it is the young child's will to die or it is punishment for what he did wrong, rather that if we lived sinless lives, there would be no death.

HSC
jesus' sacrifice is a gift to all. all who accept it.
So all those sins mentioned in the Bible, all those rules you're supposed to follow, you can do as you please, then right before you die say you believe in god and Jesus and you're going to heaven? If there's no punishement and everyone is going to heaven, then why do people bother trying to live as 'good Christians'? Why teach people about following Christianity, if they are going to heaven either way?

What about all those rapists? They say they believe in god, and go to heaven?

Do you think it's fair for a murderer/rapist to go to heaven and someone who followed the 'wrong' religion, but has never hurt anyone to go to hell?

hermand- You don't have to leave your country to know about other religions. All people have to do is check the internet, books, ask around. There are so many ways to find out about other religions.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
provided that you actually believe it, the thing is what happens if you are in an accident and do not know when you are going to die? it is only for those that accept, if you accept christ, and then decide that you are going to live as if it never happened, are you really thankful for what christ did?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
what....are you assuming that's it is only christians that 'cherish' life after a near-death experience?

and someone answer my question please.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
QUOTE]So all those sins mentioned in the Bible, all those rules you're supposed to follow, you can do as you please, then right before you die say you believe in god and Jesus and you're going to heaven? If there's no punishement and everyone is going to heaven, then why do people bother trying to live as 'good Christians'? Why teach people about following Christianity, if they are going to heaven either way? [/QUOTE]

All punishments in the old testament are practically irrelevent, because of jesus' death on the cross. Jesus took punishment for every sin anyone has ever committed, and died for them.

In the bible jesus called us to live holy lives, and said that we should be leading examples of christians, so that others can see, and are led towards it. Sure you could go out and murder, sin etc but it's not a great example of a christian life, and not a good reflection on christianity as a whole.

What about all those rapists? They say they believe in god, and go to heaven?
Yes. they can. but they do have to believe it. wholly. God searches the heart to truly determine whether we believe or not.

Do you think it's fair for a murderer/rapist to go to heaven and someone who followed the 'wrong' religion, but has never hurt anyone to go to hell?
God doesn't have a list, where sins are scaled from bad (1) to very very bad (10). All sins are equal in his eyes, and are punishable by death, which means for every sin we commit, we should die, and go to hell. However jesus saves us, on one condition, that he who believes and is baptised will be saved. So murderers and rapists can go to hell. Also, in response to following the "wrong" religion, see my post above.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Darnie said:
It does seem very unfair hey. but the chances of being able to convert a person born into islam in a western country is very slim, really. They have it so deep ingrained in them it is very tough. but as a christian we are supposed to go out and bring people to christianity from all over the world, it is one of our duties, which i suppose does help that a bit. still not totally though.
$hiftyIceQueen said:
hermand- You don't have to leave your country to know about other religions. All people have to do is check the internet, books, ask around. There are so many ways to find out about other religions.
i agree with darnie, the western world is a whole different story, many people [a lot of women for example] aren't educated and they don't know any different. they also don't have electricity, let alone internet in many third world countries. also, many of the societies are dictated and people can be killed for asking stuff the government doesn't like. it's not a free world like we have here. you couldn't have this discussion at all.

Darnie said:
Also, in reply to the kids dying young, that is an example of sin in the world, and free will. not saying that it is the young child's will to die or it is punishment for what he did wrong, rather that if we lived sinless lives, there would be no death.
hmm that doesn't sit well with me either, why not take away those who want to die, those who think that life is just expendable, who take as many drugs as they feel like every weekend, or try to commit suicide, let those people die and the people who want to live, live.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
tommykins said:
What if I've seeked him yet have had no answers?

"not trying hard enough" ?

What constitutes to trying 'hard enough' ?
I'm not sure. I suppose trying hard enough constitues trying to find ways to him, through many different avenues. Also, leaving yourself open to believe, without any other innuendoes or anything. Also, faith that he is there and will help you. other than that i'm not sure. I was born into a christian family, but i was always allowed to choose what religion i wanted to follow (if any) there was no pressure on me to follow christianity, so i suppose i've never had to try and "seek" god.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
hermand said:
hmm that doesn't sit well with me either, why not take away those who want to die, those who think that life is just expendable, who take as many drugs as they feel like every weekend, or try to commit suicide, let those people die and the people who want to live, live.
I'm not sure, i dont have divine knowledge as to why god lets some people live and some die. maybe he has some special purpose. i dont know. it kinda all comes with faith, which i hate saying because all atheists don't understand it really. i have to have faith to know god is in control and everything will be ok. otherwise my religion pretty much falls in a shambles.

One thing though, god did watch jesus (who was his own son) die on the cross. He actually sent jesus down to heaven to die on the cross. so he does know what we are going through when this happens.

HSC
emytaylor164- Accident or not. That seems wrong. Why should people enter heaven just because they believed in the correct religion? Shouldn't your actions play a bigger role?

Darnie said:
All punishments in the old testament are practically irrelevent, because of jesus' death on the cross. Jesus took punishment for every sin anyone has ever committed, and died for them.

In the bible jesus called us to live holy lives, and said that we should be leading examples of christians, so that others can see, and are led towards it. Sure you could go out and murder, sin etc but it's not a great example of a christian life, and not a good reflection on christianity as a whole.
Jesus also died for murderers? Don't you think this whole 'Jesus dying to save us all' would only refer to those who actually bother following the religion? What about all those people who don't believe in your religion and laugh at it, then before they die [let's assume they know they're about to die] they say they now believe in Christianity. Why should they be allowed into heaven?

Lol. Duuude. You're saying they enter heaven for believing in Jesus and God, seems fair enough to say they are leading a Christian life since according to you guys they won't be punished for their actions.

Yes. they can. but they do have to believe it. wholly. God searches the heart to truly determine whether we believe or not.
That's just wrong. Just because they believe in a religion, it doesn't mean they should be allowed into heaven.

God doesn't have a list, where sins are scaled from bad (1) to very very bad (10). All sins are equal in his eyes, and are punishable by death, which means for every sin we commit, we should die, and go to hell. However jesus saves us, on one condition, that he who believes and is baptised will be saved. So murderers and rapists can go to hell. Also, in response to following the "wrong" religion, see my post above.
wtf. Can you show me where you're getting this stuff from please?

All sins are the same. Psh. So if i lie, it's the exact same as someone murdering a child?

What about all the murderers they show on tv? Do you think the christian ones should be let out of gaol and allowed to do as they please?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
just a question, have an of you had anyone close to you die? because it isn't just as simple as saying that oh that's cool, he/she's gone to eternal life which is better.

and isn't jesus god incarnated? so is it really his son? as it's just him... and he knows that jesus/a third of himself will be with him in heaven soon, so it wouldn't have been that hard to let jesus die.... ?

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
Jesus also died for murderers? Don't you think this whole 'Jesus dying to save us all' would only refer to those who actually bother following the religion? What about all those people who don't believe in your religion and laugh at it, then before they die [let's assume they know they're about to die] they say they now believe in Christianity. Why should they be allowed into heaven?

Lol. Duuude. You're saying they enter heaven for believing in Jesus and God, seems fair enough to say they are leading a Christian life since according to you guys they won't be punished for their actions.

That's just wrong. Just because they believe in a religion, it doesn't mean they should be allowed into heaven.
Why not? part of the religion says that you need to believe and be baptised and you will be saved. If you decide to believe at the moment before you die, you will get to heaven. so be it.

wtf. Can you show me where you're getting this stuff from please?

All sins are the same. Psh. So if i lie, it's the exact same as someone murdering a child?
James 2:10
10- For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

John chapter 3 basicall tells how the whole of mankind is in the same boat and is condemned because of their sin.

What about all the murderers they show on tv? Do you think the christian ones should be let out of gaol and allowed to do as they please?
no i do not. not at all.

romans 13.1.
".. for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by god"

so that is saying that god put in the people that are in higher authorities.

it goes on to say:
"therefore whoever resists authority resists what god has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgement"

so those who fight against authority is pretty much fighting against god.

sorry it took so long i'm also baking a cake lol

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
hermand said:
just a question, have an of you had anyone close to you die? because it isn't just as simple as saying that oh that's cool, he/she's gone to eternal life which is better.
i have, yes. last year. and no, it isnt that easy, but he was a christian, and it sure did help a bit.

and isn't jesus god incarnated? so is it really his son? as it's just him... and he knows that jesus/a third of himself will be with him in heaven soon, so it wouldn't have been that hard to let jesus die.... ?
you'd think so. but when jesus died you could see god's wrath upon the earth, like, the curtain in the temple tore, there was an earthquake, rocks split, tombs of saints and stuff were opened, and a great darkness went across the earth. so i suppose that kinda indicates god was sad/angry/upset.

HSC
Darnie said:
Why not? part of the religion says that you need to believe and be baptised and you will be saved. If you decide to believe at the moment before you die, you will get to heaven. so be it.
Because, i know heaps of people who follow loads of religions and they take it dead seriously; then you have people who think religion is a joke, but they all say before they die they'll convert to a religion and hope it'll work out. Why should the person who lived their whole life following a religion be treated the exact same as someone who didn't care and converted when they are about to die?

James 2:10
10- For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

John chapter 3 basicall tells how the whole of mankind is in the same boat and is condemned because of their sin.
Can't this just refer to them all being equally responsible for their sins, and that they'll all be punished for it?

no i do not. not at all.

romans 13.1.
".. for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by god"

so that is saying that god put in the people that are in higher authorities.

it goes on to say:
"therefore whoever resists authority resists what god has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgement"

so those who fight against authority is pretty much fighting against god.

sorry it took so long i'm also baking a cake lol
If you don't think so and you think god sent them, then what about those who got away with murder, shouldn't they be punished in the after-life? Why would god want people to control those ruining society in this life, but not care about the ones who got away with their sins?

&it's ok :p

i have, yes. last year. and no, it isnt that easy, but he was a christian, and it sure did help a bit.
Do you have non- Christian friends? How would you feel if they died?

suzyf.

BOSgirl.
HSC
i think god does exist not as the man with a long beard as a spirit that guides us.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
Because, i know heaps of people who follow loads of religions and they take it dead seriously; then you have people who think religion is a joke, but they all say before they die they'll convert to a religion and hope it'll work out. Why should the person who lived their whole life following a religion be treated the exact same as someone who didn't care and converted when they are about to die?
The thing is, no one knows when they are about to die. so if you get hit by a bus and die, before converting, then too bad, really.

Can't this just refer to them all being equally responsible for their sins, and that they'll all be punished for it?
it says that if you only break one law of god, it is the same as breaking them all. I have another translation here that says: "for whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for failing the whole law". so yeah.

If you don't think so and you think god sent them, then what about those who got away with murder, shouldn't they be punished in the after-life? Why would god want people to control those ruining society in this life, but not care about the ones who got away with their sins?
The punishment they are supposed to receive is death. but jesus took their punishment for them, so if they believe in him they won't be sent to hell. so if they skip punishment down here, from what i know, its lucky for them lol.

Do you have non- Christian friends? How would you feel if they died?
i have plenty. and yeah i'd be devastated. even more that they weren't christian. i dont really want to think about it :(

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
what....are you assuming that's it is only christians that 'cherish' life after a near-death experience?

and someone answer my question please.
no, i am not assuming that.

What was you question?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
$hiftyIceQueen said:
emytaylor164- Accident or not. That seems wrong. Why should people enter heaven just because they believed in the correct religion? Shouldn't your actions play a bigger role?
no, we all deserve hell, some of us are covered under God's grace because we believe and live for God, and Jesus paid our ransom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)