Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Who created god?
think of it like a train, the first carriage pulls the rest. there is a start to exist everything. thinking about the big band, they say that all this dust came together and then the big bang happened somehow, well who created that dust? it has to be something divine. there are just things that our minds cannot comprehend.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
If you can concede that faith and reason are intertwined and integral to reaching god's magic garden, then surely you must also acknowledge that reason (for you folks) is in rather short supply. our context simply does not permit it, we know too much. the great institution of the church, one that once ruled lands with an Iron fist, is now akin to some sort of merchant, hardly noticable, often desperate, peddling their rusted wares amidst a crowd of other religions all of which claim to be equally true and great and fulfilling. Here I return to my previous question, why doesn't god simply make his follower's voices louder, his miracles more profound and sublime?

And why is there nothing moral about discovery? you talk about the 'here and now'. In the here and now, the mumblings of holy men and the sacrifices of prophets have been replaced with vaccinations and bionic body parts, why is this immoral? the excommunication of a young girl for having an abortion, when giving birth would have killed her was immoral. indicting and executing women for witchcraft is immoral. claiming that condoms spread AIDS is immoral. i reiterate: we know better than this.

i noticed that you make a claim that can be summarised roughly as:

reason as an end = nuclear war? gas chamber genocide?

(forgetting of course, that the vatican more or less turned a blind eye to the extermination of the jewish diaspora and sponsored nazi escape routes)

faith and love are not mutually exclusive, your creed alone has proven this. In fact, I contend that it is religion - excess faith with too little reason - that has caused all of the suffering, agony and torment of our world. This may be what god wants, but it is not what humanity needs.

I will now take up a couple of lines to quote myself because I can:

[christianity] once had aquinas and kierkegaard and descartes and all the other great 'scholars'. now who do they have? [...] frail old men in chapels with beards to the floor and voices like mice. religion, people have realised, will not provide answers and they turn away, and they will keep turning away, from its bigotry and ignorance and corruption and repression - this is progress.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
think of it like a train, the first carriage pulls the rest. there is a start to exist everything. thinking about the big band, they say that all this dust came together and then the big bang happened somehow, well who created that dust? it has to be something divine. there are just things that our minds cannot comprehend.
what's north of the north-pole?

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
what a silly analogy.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If you can concede that faith and reason are intertwined and integral to reaching god's magic garden, then surely you must also acknowledge that reason (for you folks) is in rather short supply. our context simply does not permit it, we know too much. the great institution of the church, one that once ruled lands with an Iron fist, is now akin to some sort of merchant, hardly noticable, often desperate, peddling their rusted wares amidst a crowd of other religions all of which claim to be equally true and great and fulfilling. Here I return to my previous question, why doesn't god simply make his follower's voices louder, his miracles more profound and sublime?

And why is there nothing moral about discovery? you talk about the 'here and now'. In the here and now, the mumblings of holy men and the sacrifices of prophets have been replaced with vaccinations and bionic body parts, why is this immoral? the excommunication of a young girl for having an abortion, when giving birth would have killed her was immoral. indicting and executing women for witchcraft is immoral. claiming that condoms spread AIDS is immoral. i reiterate: we know better than this.

(forgetting of course, that the vatican more or less turned a blind eye to the extermination of the jewish diaspora and sponsored nazi escape routes)

faith and love are not mutually exclusive, your creed alone has proven this. In fact, I contend that it is religion - excess faith with too little reason - that has caused all of the suffering, agony and torment of our world. This may be what god wants, but it is not what humanity needs.

I will now take up a couple of lines to quote myself because I can:
I, who has walked the streets of Rome in Genoa velvet and had seen the stars through Galileo's tube, spurned the friars, with their dusty tomes and their sunken, jelous eyes and their crabbed hair-splitting speech?

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
I, who has walked the streets of Rome in Genoa velvet and had seen the stars through Galileo's tube, spurned the friars, with their dusty tomes and their sunken, jelous eyes and their crabbed hair-splitting speech?
I fear this is what it has come to :(

HSC
Iron is not claiming that reason necessarily leads to nuclear war. Rather, that reason can be put towards abhorrent ends if it is not tempered with sound moral judgement.

There is a great book by Zygmunt Bauman, I think, showing how instrumental forms of modern, bureaucratic rationality allowed the Nazis to attempt a genocide at a historically unprecedented level of efficienct.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, and reasonable people will admit that this sound moral judgement requires the user to have faith that such judgement is true and good

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
modernity and ambivalence?

of course he also equates moral judgement with faith in god which i absolutely cannot accept.

EDIT: well ok, Iron, if you admit that the user only has to have faith that his or her judgement is good then i guess there's no point arguing about it.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
why not? just go limp while i push you off
easier 4 me

HSC
Yeah, and reasonable people will admit that this sound moral judgement requires the user to have faith that such judgement is true and good
Well, I might agree that moral judgement relies upon intuitions about right and wrong that are difficult to get at through reason alone.

Lukybear

HSC
...If only your response was less rhetoric and more reasoning. To your questions.

We belive that God does make his follower's voices louder, their mind's more intellectual, their orator ability unparralleled. Take the examples of Paul, Peter or any of the apostles. They were transformed from common man, fisherman perhaps, to become some the Rock of the Catholica Church. Such acheivement requires power, it requires loud voices and strong reasoning.

The Church does infact support many of the modern technolgical advances. There are specific cases that the Church does not support, i.e. abortion. It only exhibits some universal truths of Christanity, that certain values and morals are time immemorial.

To your second point; the Church alike all humans are imperfect creation of God. Mistakes are occasionally made and sometimes corrected othertimes not. You question and criticise that as if there were fatal flaws in the Church. But isnt that what Christanity is about? The constant sin of humans, forgiven by the blood of Jesus? If the Church was perfect, then we wouldnt need Christ.

Your premise about "religion" is wrong. Your dogmatic belief in that religion is SOLEY all rules and regulations, its influences in society, whether past or present is completely insignificant compared what true Christianity present itself to be. That is the forgiveness of sins by the blood of Christ.

I do admit that perhaps the Church has made numerous blunders in the past and present, and undoubtedly what will be the future. And I agree completely with you, this is not what humanity needs, it is humanity, the imperfect nature that is present within all of us.

What humanity actually need is Christ, and his blood, which the Church is communicating to society right at this moment, and will do so until the He returns. And it matters not which ever denomination whether it is Catholic, Protestan or Orthordox, for all are headed by Christ.

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
Well, I might agree that moral judgement relies upon intuitions about right and wrong that are difficult to get at through reason alone.
that's debatable i suppose. what's clear is that such judgement does not necessitate a belief in any god figure.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
...\What humanity actually need is Christ, and his blood, which the Church is communicating to society right at this moment, and will do so until the He returns. And it matters not which ever denomination whether it is Catholic, Protestan or Orthordox, for all are headed by Christ.
Let's not go nuts Luky

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Really? How can you talk about moral judgements and concepts of good and evil without reference to God?
Dont be distracted by the cheshire cat! The rabbit when tother way!

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
Dearest Lukybear,

you mention the apostles, but i was more interested in hearing about modern day 'prophets' and religious bigwigs capable of leading populations and tearing open seas as it were.

if certain values are 'time immemorial' then why do we need the Church to mandate them? The 'truths of Christianity', to respect your family, to love your wife, not to murder or steal etc. aren't exclusive to Christianity either - we can date 'truths' such as this farther into antiquity (for example, marriage being a pre-Mesopotanian tradition, or general commandments documented in the Torah).

but the Pope is the closest human being do god in the modern age. to deny this would be to deny your faith, right? the occassional pope's propensity to such vulgar sin must imply a mistake on the behalf of his creator.

it matters not which ever denomination whether it is Catholic, Protestan or Orthordox, for all are headed by Christ.
well, i don't have much to say about that, though I will say that many of your own fellow believers would disagree. are they wrong and you right?

xoxo

rant

&&&&&&&&
HSC
Really? How can you talk about moral judgements and concepts of good and evil without reference to God?
Dont be distracted by the cheshire cat! The rabbit when tother way!
curiouser and curiouser! a grin without a cat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)