• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (5 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ok then, hows about... you cannot create a rock you cannot lift... if you can, then you cannot lift it meaning that something is impossible, if you can't.. then you can't create that rock, something is impossible.

I'm sorry but it's not really a matter of perspective...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
All that is possible...
what's to say there isn't some other alternate time line, other dimensions, or planets out there where all this stuff could happen!
The thing is, it can't actual be proven wrong, 'cause we can't prove anything as complex as that. Like i've said for this whole thread, it's a matter of BELIEF.
optimistic... HELL YEAH!!!
looney... probably! but try and disprove me, just try!
:)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ok then, hows about... you cannot create a rock you cannot lift... if you can, then you cannot lift it meaning that something is impossible, if you can't.. then you can't create that rock, something is impossible.

I'm sorry but it's not really a matter of perspective...
um... lost me...
i'm aparently crazy, remember :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This is some good advice... for everyone
It is better to live your life as if there are no Gods, and try to make the world a better place for your being in it as a mortal. If there is no God, you have lost nothing and will be remembered fondly by those you left behind. If there is a benevolent God, He will judge you on your merits and not just on whether or not you believed in Him.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm not sure if using a four sided triangle is appropriate. We know (at least the human race knows lol) that a triangle has three sides, undoubtably, no one at all denies it (well anyone sane).

I'm not sure if you've supplied proof for the idea that God is non-existant. You've proved flaws in the religion I guess, but any of us that doesn't believe in God, despite disproving or the challenge of all the flaws and mistakes, could wind up at the end of it all at the "gates of heaven" or "the pits of hell" so to speak and kicking ourselves. Do you know what I mean to why you can't use a four sided triangle??? A four triangle is wrong, full stop. Whether there is a God is still unknown?

sub

lord chumpley said:
sub said:
just as with god, u can see if He is there, u cant see him, u cannot feel him. u can only determine whether he exists or not.

so, prove it, or disprove it. dude, you just said the unmentionable sentence.
i intend to, mate. but i got study to do now...i will be back after tomoro, but i doubt ill have something for u by then...i finish on next wednesday, so ill try to think of some way to rationalise it for u. also with the context thing...it wasn't all my fault, tho i take some responsibilty for not reading the entire thread (which is pretty damn long!). also, technically u requiring a brain to live is not technically correct, u can be brain dead, but physically alive. u DO tend to die after that as ur body slowly wastes away, but u CAN live without one, so ur justification for that reason is equally a bad example as mine initally. (also pls note i was NOT trying to have a go at u, saying u didnt have a brain - just a random example that came to mind.)
if u consider my counter-example extreme, as the body eventually dies anyway, soon after, then there ARE ways to artifically keep the bodily functions going.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm not sure if using a four sided triangle is appropriate. We know (at least the human race knows lol) that a triangle has three sides, undoubtably, no one at all denies it (well anyone sane).

I'm not sure if you've supplied proof for the idea that God is non-existant. You've proved flaws in the religion I guess, but any of us that doesn't believe in God, despite disproving or the challenge of all the flaws and mistakes, could wind up at the end of it all at the "gates of heaven" or "the pits of hell" so to speak and kicking ourselves. Do you know what I mean to why you can't use a four sided triangle??? A four triangle is wrong, full stop. Whether there is a God is still unknown?
I didn't say God doesn't exist, i firmly believe in God.
But what if out there somewhere are other beings that just happen to call a triangle something else? hard to prove wrong! just because we don't know!!!
Sorry, i sound crazy!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Dougie said:
I didn't say God doesn't exist, i firmly believe in God.
But what if out there somewhere are other beings that just happen to call a triangle something else? hard to prove wrong! just because we don't know!!!
Sorry, i sound crazy!
Lol, Not-That-Bright has used, and understandably used, examples of the elephant, four sided triangle, etc, all beliefs that are unmistakably wrong in all of society (excpet the crazy ones). I'm just informing that those examples aren't too solid because the way it is compared - God is not unmistakably wrong - God's existant is unknown.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ok... hows bout this....
The idea of God sacrificing himself to himself, in order to prevent himself sending us all to Hell for commiting sins because of the way he made us, and which he knew we were going to do anyway, is a little hard to swallow don't you think?

Inner Child.... read this -> http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/judgmentday.html
You read Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice then! Lol. It IS hard to swallow, I'm just saying your examples aren't strong enough to support your argument. In regards to sacrificing himself to himself, I totally understand. How can Jesus sacrifice himself when the whole time, he knew he was God? He could not know suffering? Those questions have always been in my mind. Read Memnoch - its quite good. It ridicules the Bible and the religion, but not God himself. Hard to explain... but yeah.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So your excuse is that heaps of people believe your religion so they can't be wrong? or that alot of people believe in god so they cannot all be wrong?
# Nine hundred million people follow religion Z. Are they all wrong? Truth is not democratic - you can't vote for objective reality.
# Maybe they are right. Maybe their god exists as well as your god?
# If they're wrong, couldn't you also be wrong? After all, they seem to believe at least as strongly and sincerely as you do, and for many of the same reasons...

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i believe in what i do... that's good enough for me

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Seriously... i'd like to think it's just organised religions that are wrong, and that by searching deeply within ones self you can find the 'true' answer... but it just doesn't work out.
Although i commend people that try to find the truth for themselves over just accepting the packaged truth of organised religion :D

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i'll commend anyone who can stick to their belief, no matter what it is

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Dougie said:
i'll commend anyone who can stick to their belief, no matter what it is
I definately disagree.
While i don't like people... believing in some sections of christianity, and dismissing the bad parts, i think it's much better for people to be progressive in their beliefs.
I was a christian.. now i am not, i know there are some atheists who have become christians... this is all through progressive thought, which can't be a bad thing can it?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
does God exist... yes and no
does Allah exist... yes and no
does any variety of deity/god figure exist... yes and no

None of it can be proved correct, none of it can be proved conclusively incorrect. so who is right? No one.. yet everyone. IF you believe, then for you <insert relevent deity here> exists, whereas for others that person doesn't exist. It's really all as simple as that.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I definately disagree.
While i don't like people... believing in some sections of christianity, and dismissing the bad parts, i think it's much better for people to be progressive in their beliefs.
I was a christian.. now i am not, i know there are some atheists who have become christians... this is all through progressive thought, which can't be a bad thing can it?
no, it's not bad, but neither is someone who sticks to their faith. In the end i reckon it comes down to what the individual wants and feels. As long as they have what they want and is happy, then that's what counts.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The real question is... why do they believe <insert relevent deity here> exists? do they believe just because they believe? if so that kinda comment was ruled out of this debate in the beginning lol

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
eviltama said:
does God exist... yes and no
does Allah exist... yes and no
does any variety of deity/god figure exist... yes and no

None of it can be proved correct, none of it can be proved conclusively incorrect. so who is right? No one.. yet everyone. IF you believe, then for you <insert relevent deity here> exists, whereas for others that person doesn't exist. It's really all as simple as that.
I TOTALLY understand this.
God exists when you let Him exist.
And before you rebutt,
Define existance...
Okay, mind boggling now. That was a good post though eviltama. I loved it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So you believe that blissful ignorance is ok?
So you'd also believe that we should censor our children from violence, not teach them about wars etc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)