• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (2 Viewers)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yes, as i said before, authority figures are an important part to some variants of Christianity, especially in ethical and moral decisions and teachings. Most priests are not too full of ego to do anything

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
the fact of the matter is most people believe their beliefs to be right. particularly christians and muslims or hindus etc but no one else cares if they dont believe it. it doesnt mean much to them so i cant be bothered trying to prove myself right about this religious stuff. its like when christians often say "youre going to hell" it means nothing to anyone if they dont believe in it and simply pisses people off.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
uhhh no....it dosent say in the qoran that god made us in his image.....

edit: if god has an image...then we r limiting god and how can u limit something that is absolute.....
physician said:
well actually in Islam, in the Quran, it doesnt say anyhting about God walking with adam, but states the conversation, about the tree, and that adam was not supposed to eat from that tree, and how he was tempted by the devil etc and what God was telling adam, but not that he was walking with adam. In accordance to God's features, i have no right to say anything, he is all knowing all wise, and it is forbidden for a muslim to even think of the chracateristics of God. God is superior, God is our creator.
Thankyou for the correction. As I said, I wasnt 100% sure of the Muslim stance (cant be an expert on everything!!). I am aware of the differences between the Quaran and the Bible (both OT and NT) but wasnt sure as to the Muslim stance on Genesis.
Thankyou for your non-judgemental and straightforth answers

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
ok as for the title of this thread this is why I beleive God exists:

Fact: there are aprox 350 billion galaxies in the universe, our Milky Way is just one of em, there are abt 250 millions stars in de Milky way n our Sun is jus one of em hence there are more stars in the universe then there are grains of sand on Earth and our sun is just one of those grains while our Earth is only half a grain in this magnificent scale of the universe....

wen u look at a watch, u know that a watchmaker must have created de watch, wen u look at a software program u know that there must also b a programmer....jus as everythin in this world has a creator, a composer, a maker or an author, it is suffice to say that some super intelligent omnipotent entity must have created the entire universe...this entity is what we call God. hence the fundamental reason for God's existence si that He is the author, the Composer of everything.....de galaxies de Sun n evrythin dat encompasses the heavens.

After all can u look at a building n say that it was created by itself? dat a telescope was created by itself....jus as everything has an author.....God is the author of the universe...

To believe in God is a privelege
To doubt God is an insult.

cheers :)

Last edited:

Keen

MD
HSC
I believe in God under the premise as proposed above.
I hate religion, especially christianity, these days it's starting to get as bad as fundamental islam, but instead of killing people they're saying if you don't believe you're going to be killed and thinking every bloddy thing that happens in this world from you feeling happy about yourself to being able to come to church was directly a cause of God.

I believe God gave us free will, I think he created everything, I think he wants us to live our lives out by being good people, kind to others etc as much as we can and keep trying everyday to better ourselves.
I'm actually waiting for the day we find aliens (which seems relatively probable) which will really put a kink in most religions and prove that they're human made.

Enough said

Keen

lengstar

HSC
mz_purfect said:
ok as for the title of this thread this is why I beleive God exists:

Fact: there are aprox 350 billion galaxies in the universe, our Milky Way is just one of em, there are abt 250 millions stars in de Milky way n our Sun is jus one of em hence there are more stars in the universe then there are grains of sand on Earth and our sun is just one of those grains while our Earth is only half a grain in this magnificent scale of the universe....

wen u look at a watch, u know that a watchmaker must have created de watch, wen u look at a software program u know that there must also b a programmer....jus as everythin in this world has a creator, a composer, a maker or an author, it is suffice to say that some super intelligent omnipotent entity must have created the entire universe...this entity is what we call God. hence the fundamental reason for God's existence si that He is the author, the Composer of everything.....de galaxies de Sun n evrythin dat encompasses the heavens.

After all can u look at a building n say that it was created by itself? dat a telescope was created by itself....jus as everything has an author.....God is the author of the universe...

To believe in God is a privelege
To doubt God is an insult.

cheers :)
thats an incredibly stupid way to put it.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Keen said:
I hate religion, especially christianity, these days it's starting to get as bad as fundamental islam, but instead of killing people they're saying if you don't believe you're going to be killed and thinking every bloddy thing that happens in this world from you feeling happy about yourself to being able to come to church was directly a cause of God.

Keen
Just on that not: Islam forbids killing or attacking an enemy unless attacked first, and unless defending themselves. Is it wrong to defend urself if an enemy attacks you, Second of all, the poeple who do kill innocents that kill under the name of Islam, don't know the first thing about Islam, they merely use religion to back up their sins, where as if u were to know an atoms weight about what the true Islam was, you wouldn't dare comment in such a way. If a man kills an innocent no matter what religion they belong to or what they believe in, they are truely a terrorist in heart, and every religion on Earth forbids the killing of innocent people. When the muslim Army set out for battle, when they were attacked, The prophet (peace be upon him ) told them that no man shall kill a child, a female, an old man, or any unarmed person, and that no tree should be cut, without the need to do so. Please, when u decide to use Islam to back up a point on how bad christianity is becoming (even though i disagree, and think that christianty is nice in heart, but it also has it's black sheep), please speak out of knowledge, and not what u here on the news or read in a newsapaper. Thank you.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Everything has black sheep if you look at it, whether it be athiests, christians, muslims, jews, a minority shouldnt cause judgement on a large group

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
acmilan said:
Everything has black sheep if you look at it, whether it be athiests, christians, muslims, jews, a minority shouldnt cause judgement on a large group
That's exactly correct.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
It just gets annoying when people dont know the whole story and make comments that are derogatory. For example when people say christians support killing and revenge and back it up with the "...an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth..." quote, when really they dont read what it says before and after that quote which is essential as that quote only refers to one specific situation

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Just to go slightly off-topic, something really pissed me off today. I was reading in a Christian book about God's place int he world today (I was really, really bored) and it went into talking about atheists (even to the point of catergorising them - apparently I am the worst type of atheist, a 'militant' atheist, whatever the hell that means). What bothered me is that the author attacked my non-belief by saying that it's impossible for me to say that there is no God (whereas I say that there are no gods, plural, and nor do I believe in any religion possible save for Buddhism, which is based on ideals rather than an omnipotent being), as I have not searched the Universe, nor examined it, for empirical proof that there is no God: thus I couldn't say that there was no God, because I have not examined the whole universe, thus I can't speak for something I know nothing of.

This argument pisses me off because they conveniently forget that it can be easily turned around to something more concrete: how can THEY believe in a God, when they have not examined the universe to find flawless, absolute proof that he exists? Aren't they disregarding what should not be disregarded: that everything is a theory until undeniable proof can be presented?

What's with that?

superbird

HSC
Kwayera said:
Just to go slightly off-topic, something really pissed me off today. I was reading in a Christian book about God's place int he world today (I was really, really bored) and it went into talking about atheists (even to the point of catergorising them - apparently I am the worst type of atheist, a 'militant' atheist, whatever the hell that means). What bothered me is that the author attacked my non-belief by saying that it's impossible for me to say that there is no God (whereas I say that there are no gods, plural, and nor do I believe in any religion possible save for Buddhism, which is based on ideals rather than an omnipotent being), as I have not searched the Universe, nor examined it, for empirical proof that there is no God: thus I couldn't say that there was no God, because I have not examined the whole universe, thus I can't speak for something I know nothing of.

This argument pisses me off because they conveniently forget that it can be easily turned around to something more concrete: how can THEY believe in a God, when they have not examined the universe to find flawless, absolute proof that he exists? Aren't they disregarding what should not be disregarded: that everything is a theory until undeniable proof can be presented?

What's with that?
You are an idiot if you think all Christians share this view, which is what you are inferring.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Once again, a singular example is used to make a judgement on a whole group. As a christian i admit that i believe what that guy says is wrong...but you cant just say that christians are the only ones that say things like that, it happens in every group, even atheists

HSC
Maybe I can't read, but I can't see anywhere in that post where Kwayera suggests that all Christians have that attitude at all.

The point being made, as I understood it, was simply that this is an unreasonable stance, and that those who see it that way are annoying.

Incidentally, I agree completely. It's hypocritical to say that someone else's point isn't valid, simply because there isn't absolute proof at all, and this situation doesn't become any more sensible when you yourself don't have proof for your side either.

In reality, how many things can be absolutely demonstrated to be true? In my experience, relatively few, one way or the other.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
the author of that book is fucked.........only god knows where ur going and no body else has the right to tell the guy next to him hes going to hell or that his beliefs are wrong...........some ppl wanna become god now and tell us whats hes thinking and where he'll put everyone....screwed author.....why dosent he just go make his own religion where he proclaims himself as god....

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
Maybe I can't read, but I can't see anywhere in that post where Kwayera suggests that all Christians have that attitude at all.

The point being made, as I understood it, was simply that this is an unreasonable stance, and that those who see it that way are annoying.

Incidentally, I agree completely. It's hypocritical to say that someone else's point isn't valid, simply because there isn't absolute proof at all, and this situation doesn't become any more sensible when you yourself don't have proof for your side either.

In reality, how many things can be absolutely demonstrated to be true? In my experience, relatively few, one way or the other.
I couldn't find it either. Maybe by saying "a Christian book" they took it to mean that all Christian books are like that, but I just took it as a book produced by a Christian.

K

katie_tully

i think i lost any hope of school captaincy because the teachers all think im agnostic and theyre all devout catholics... i refused to go to their christmas scripture service because i had work to do.
so theyre pissed off.
small schools in small communities are great.
if any of you want to isolate the gene that creates extra fingers due to inbreeding, come here. many fine specimens.

Keen

MD
HSC
Actually the book example is good as MANY christian FAITHS (not just people) believe that if you don't believe and you have been told (i.e. you live in a place like Oz where people come up and preach at your door, shopping centre etc) you are doomed for not believing and taking Jesus as your savior. (Now I know some christian faiths differ but I'm talking about many MAJOR faiths - so we're not talking about black sheep).
I find this apalling and just inhumane views.
As for my views on Islam, I actually know more about Islam than you think and yes I know it says don't kill etc (pretty much all religions say this) but I was referring to the bad apples and wasn't saying this was the majority. Well it is sort of the majority in some areas but I think Islam over is good, actually I'll go out and say in my opinion it's the best and most solid religion. But I was just saying that Islamic fundamentalism has gotten pretty bad and I just get annoyed when religion is used in pretty much any argument whether it's whether you're going to get school captain or whether it's right/wrong to kill especially people of other faiths.

Keen

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I think you guys completely missed the point of my post.

What I was SAYING was that many (NOT ALL, but many) Christians seek to discredit atheists like my self by belittling our way of dismissing religion - by saying it isn't possible for us to definantly know that there aren't gods, because we haven't examined the breadth of the universe.

However, they seem to conveniently forget the fact that THEY haven't examined the entire universe, either - how can they be so sure that God exists? How can they be so sure that they are wrong, and we are right: that there IS NO GOD, and 'He' simply exists as a figment of human imagination, an incarnation of our fear of being alone in a universe where we are insignificant?

Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation if often correct. In this case, rather than believe the invention of man's mind, the simplest explanation is this: that there is no God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)